Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it me, or is there a new format?

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

El Yukko. Again. Seems like this has been optimized for phone viewing since the majority of people have their faces stuck to their phones. Thankfully more people are drifting back to larger monitors with all this zooming.

My ordinary-sized monitors never went away.  I've watched people zoom in on their cell phones with a small degree of amusement, just like flicking a b o o ger  With all the recent dumbing down of society, this is really the least of my worries right now.

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, that's one way. Or you can create a new thread in the Technical Issues forum. Under Problems with the Message Boards.

https://forums.tcm.com/forum/74-problems-with-the-message-boards/

Also you can also click on the Moderator's profile, if you find one of his/her posts. And from there, you should be able to find an option to send a private message.

Eww.

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I THINK THIS IS A SCENE FROM THE PLANNING SESSION BETWEEN THE DEVELOPERS FOR THE NEWEST BOARD UPDATE:

giphy.gif

There is a good chance none of this even happened at TCM, and the old ladies there didn't even know it happened, but rather at a Forum Provider.  This redesign has all the evidence that it happened at the forum package upgrade level, like going from Windows XP to Windows 7.  Or Mac OS8 to Mac OSX.  I just wish they hadn't left those god-awful stupid reaction emojis.

• Haha 2

Blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah1 blah blah2 blah

Blah blah blah blah blah

Blah blah blah blah blah

Okay all those blah blah options seem to work on my end.  I just needed to maximize the window on my screen in order to see them all.  Although I don't ordinarily see a need to format my text, plain text is a beautiful thing.

22 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah1 blah blah2 blah

Blah blah blah blah blah

Blah blah blah blah blah

Okay all those blah blah options seem to work on my end.  I just needed to maximize the window on my screen in order to see them all.  Although I don't ordinarily see a need to format my text, as plain text is a beautiful thing.

oops.

21 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

My ordinary-sized monitors never went away.  I've watched people zoom in on their cell phones with a small degree of amusement, just like flicking a ****.  With all the recent dumbing down of society, this is really the least of my worries right now.

Eww.

*There is a good chance none of this even happened at TCM, and the old ladies there didn't even know it happened, but rather at a Forum Provider.  I just wish they hadn't left those god-awful stupid reaction emojis.

*That sounds like something Kroger's says to me when I tell them that the Instacart delivery person has stolen my groceries.

So I tell Kroger's that when you put your name on it oh, you have to own up to it.

• Thanks 1

I've given it a day or so now and I do not like many of the changes.  This new right hand column with trivia facts is not worth losing a full page to see the posts.  Terrible.

Why did they have to lose the accurate reply and views counts?

There used to be a way to get to the TCM main page and schedule from the discussion forums.  Those links have been gone for some time now.

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

There used to be a way to get to the TCM main page and schedule from the discussion forums.  Those links have been gone for some time now.

Those links would have been a customization above and beyond a simple software "upgrade".  At one time they used to do things like this.  Now it has either become too complex to, or else they just decided to simplify.  I think it's odd that there isn't at least a link back to the TCM home page.  But really it's two different websites in two different locations.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
50 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I'll wager that most subscribers who pay some provider to watch the network don't even know this forum exists in the first place.

Don't know if I have heard this forum mentioned on TCM, the channel.   So, you may be correct.  I originally found it by going to TCM Home page for info.  on daily schedule and noticed a link for Forums or Discussions or something.

I do not use Twitter, Facebook, etc. and only use my phone for a phone.  So, not familiar with how all that works.  I am on a couple of other forums and they have periodically been revised (for no good reason), but NONE of them have shrunk the posts so that they can have almost have the screen for useless information.  Also, none of them required you to click on "expand" to read a full post.

Only positive I see is that it may drive more people to watching TCM and not coming to this site.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When I want to see the schedule I Google TCM.com and click schedule. After I get the info I want I go to Community Heading on the top of the page and click on Message Board. It's been this way for some time now. that's the only way I know how to get to the page of schedules and database, etc. and then back to the Message Bd. without leaving the site again.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Those links would have been a customization above and beyond a simple software "upgrade".  At one time they used to do things like this.  Now it has either become too complex to, or else they just decided to simplify.  I think it's odd that there isn't at least a link back to the TCM home page.  But really it's two different websites in two different locations.

It used to be all there.  I know it has been gone now for some time.  My biggest beef is giving up a third of the page for some thread trivia.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Don't know if I have heard this forum mentioned on TCM, the channel.   So, you may be correct.  I originally found it by going to TCM Home page for info.  on daily schedule and noticed a link for Forums or Discussions or something.

I do not use Twitter, Facebook, etc. and only use my phone for a phone.  So, not familiar with how all that works.  I am on a couple of other forums and they have periodically been revised (for no good reason), but NONE of them have shrunk the posts so that they can have almost have the screen for useless information.  Also, none of them required you to click on "expand" to read a full post.

Only positive I see is that it may drive more people to watching TCM and not(i.e. a red-headed step child).  I'm not putting the forum down, but just observing that coming to this site.

It also doesn't really help that they treat the forum like a liability, rather than an asset.  In recent years it seems more like a perfunctory addition for those who seek out forums.  It is not part of their core business.  Thankfully.

Oh, and too, I've noticed('cause I needed to use it) that the "edit" option is gone.  I noticed a gaffe after I submitted a post and went to edit it for correction reasons and noticed just the "quote" option at the bottom of the post!  :angry: :huh:

Sepiatone

3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Oh, and too, I've noticed('cause I needed to use it) that the "edit" option is gone.  I noticed a gaffe after I submitted a post and went to edit it for correction reasons and noticed just the "quote" option at the bottom of the post!  :angry: :huh:

Sepiatone

As someone earlier pointed out, you have to click on the three dots in upper right corner of your post and then you can select edit.  This thread is getting way too busy to keep up with everything being said.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

It's still there, just incorporated into a newfangled social media fad thing.  Look for the three dots in the upper right area of your post, and click on that.

• Thanks 2

Ahh, peace at last!  I found a way to get rid of the startling and ugly reaction emojis which I despise (and you can too).

I added the AdBlock Plus add-on to Firefox.  Then I copied and pasted these strings into the ABP "Advanced/My Filter List" config options:

https://content.invisioncic.com/q242003/reactions/react_sad.png
https://content.invisioncic.com/q242003/reactions/react_confused.png

It might also help to deselect the checkbox for "Advanced/Customizations/Show Useful Notifications.  (just an annoyance thing for that add-on)

Here is the end result, where both of these nuisance factors are effectively banished from the same post in my browser:

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Screenshot%20from%202020-08-28%2017-09-00.png

Three people "reacted" to a post of mine, and if any of you care to drop me a line and actually say something,  you are most welcome.  Otherwise, from now on, this is all I am going to see.

And here is what my reaction palette looks like now:

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Screenshot%20from%202020-08-28%2017-47-06.png

Just right.

This is really weird. the Color icon and Font Icon are in  the Information thread and film and Filmakers and Off Topic chit chat and the Tech ProblemsBUT not in Your Favorites, Gen discussions and Games and Trivia.. Makes no sense that the 2 would work in some threads and not in other threads?

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

As someone earlier pointed out, you have to click on the three dots in upper right corner of your post and then you can select edit.  This thread is getting way too busy to keep up with everything being said.

It's nice to have a busy thread. Different comments, points of view, etc. 

30 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Ahh, peace at last!  I found a way to get rid of the startling and ugly reaction emojis which I despise (and you can too).

I added the AdBlock Plus add-on to Firefox.  Then I copied and pasted these strings into the ABP "Advanced/My Filter List" config options:

https://content.invisioncic.com/q242003/reactions/react_sad.png
https://content.invisioncic.com/q242003/reactions/react_confused.png

Here is the end result, where both of these nuisance factors are effectively banished from the same post in my browser:

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Screenshot%20from%202020-08-28%2017-09-00.png

Three people "reacted" to a post of mine, and if any of you care to drop me a line and actually say something,  you are most welcome.  Otherwise, from now on, this is all I am going to see.

And here is what my reaction palette looks like now:

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Screenshot%20from%202020-08-28%2017-47-06.png

Just right.

Unfortunately it's only on yours, wish you could take them away on everyone's. Now, can you fix the problem I'm having with the Color and Font icons, wish you could

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, skimpole said:
14 hours ago, hamradio said:

The very top right center of the dark Message Board header, you can barely see the shadow of the magnifying glass.

Sorry I'm not seeing it.

You need a magnifying glass to see it.

• Haha 1
  • TCMModerator1 changed the title to Is it me, or is there a new format?