Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it me, or is there a new format?

tcm.png

The search question:

(I posted this earlier but it seems to have been ignored in the flood of posts)

Here's a picture from a previous post.  The faint magnifying glass on the dark background in the upper right is the search button, click on that to search.

Please note that on my computer if the window is too wide, the magnifying glass disappears!  Try making the window narrower and see if the magnifying glass shows up.

• Confused 1
3 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

tcm.png

The search question:

Here's a picture from a previous post.  The faint magnifying glass on the dark background in the upper right is the search button, click on that to search.

Please note that on my computer if the window is too wide, the magnifying glass disappears!  Try making the window narrower and see if the magnifying glass shows up.

I tried and tried, and I don't see it/can't find it. Tried making it narrower/wider as well.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

tcm.png

The search question:

Same here.  Didn't work on Chrome or Edge (both Chromium browsers) no matter how wide or narrow the browser window was.

Works on Firefox, but only if the browser is not in full-screen mode.

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Same here.  Didn't work on Chrome or Edge (both Chromium browsers) no matter how wide or narrow the browser window was.

Works on Firefox, but only if the browser is not in full-screen mode.

I have to retract that.  I didn't make the Chrome window narrow enough apparently.  I have to reduce it to less than half the width of my monitor before those icons appear.

So it does work on Chrome - with some window manipulation.    Looks like they need more work on their CSSs.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Sorry about that.  I just don't multitask that well.

4 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Not sure why it isn't visible for different browsers. 

I realize this is a poor solution, but here is the URL for the search function:

https://forums.tcm.com/search/

That's quite an extensive search page for such a broken little link that most people can't see...

Does the search page work though?  :P

P.S. I can actually see the link icons now in Firefox - but only within about a 1" deviation of width across my whole monitor, at quite a narrow aspect ratio.  More narrow than anything I would adjust for a modern 16:9 monitor.  So the likelihood that I would have come across that is about zero.

I think I can see how hamradio probably discovered it.  Last I read, he was still running Windows XP on an older computer, probably still with a 4:3 monitor.

This thing still needs work.  I won't hold my breath.

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I am not bothered by the data. But I do think they've allotted too much webpage space for it. The gray column on the right hand side could easily be cut in half.

It ought to at least have an "X" in the corner so it can be closed.  That is about how important it is.

Right now there is a caret [^] at the top of that section that folds it up when clicked, but that space still goes unused.  So totally useless.

Same disappearing act goes for that caret as with hamradio's search link and some of the aforementioned text formatting tools.  I think I'm getting the hang of this.

7 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

What trivia facts? All I see in the right column are photos of naked actresses. Some of them are pretty good, but that one of Edna May Oliver has to go.

Thank god the new upgrades haven't driven you away, scsu.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I often read TV and film-related content on the Digital Spy website and have participated there. When I log on to DS, policy information pops up, related to the use of cookies. The pop says, among other things, that their website will:

Measure content performance, Apply market research to generate audience insights, Develop and improve products.

Well, clearly they didn't apply any market research to solicit  our insights.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
41 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Well, clearly they didn't apply any market research to solicit  our insights.

As creepy as it might sound, these days it is down to tracking page views, scrolling and mouse clicks, not straightforward inquiries.  Very passive-aggressive of that industry.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

It ought to at least have an "X" in the corner so it can be closed.  That is about how important it is.

Yes, ideally, it should have the option of being closed/ignored. 

Hopefully the powers that be are reading these comments and can make the necessary adjustments as we go forward.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Swithin said:

The hommage to hlywdkjk and photo of Robert and Kyle on the top of the page is very sweet. Very discreet -- you need to roll your cursor over it to see it.

Yes. A nice touch!

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 11.58.32 PM

• Like 2
7 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

tcm.png

The search question:

These do not appear for me at all even when expanding the window.  Safari or Chrome.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

When I want to see the schedule I Google TCM.com and click schedule. After I get the info I want I go to Community Heading on the top of the page and click on Message Board. It's been this way for some time now. that's the only way I know how to get to the page of schedules and database, etc. and then back to the Message Bd. without leaving the site again.

Long time back I just added the schedule page from the website as one of my favorites on my computer.  Makes it easy to go straight to that page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a 2009 Macbook pro, El Capitan version 10.11.6, Firefox browser 77.0.1 (64 bit), I get:

Too big:

too-big.png

Too small:

too-small.png

Just right:

just-right.png

Just right exists in exactly one position.  If I increase or decrease the size of the screen one bit, the search box disappears.  The box is non-functioning.  If you look closely you will see small icons superimposed that call up different pages:  Home, My Activity Streams, Create, and Search. 

• Confused 1
11 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

I'm using Chrome. Try clicking on the icon I am pointing to. It reduces the size of your window, and you will see the icons on the right. Of course, it's ridiculous to have to do that every time.

cIT9SpB.png

Thanks; that still didn't work for me. 😕

Some other interesting points ( at least from my desktop): I can react/quote to people's posts with Firefox and the forum format looks exactly as it did before the update, but I have no notification or user icons in the "dark area."  On Internet Explorer/Chrome, I can't react/quote to people's posts, the forum format is cluttered but all the user icons are there at the top of the page.

Why should different browsers make such a difference?

• TCMModerator1 changed the title to Is it me, or is there a new format?