Distributed by Paramount Publix Corp.
Release date
  • June 10, 1932 (US)
  • [1]
Running time
78, 82 or 88 minutes[1]
Country United States
Language English

Merrily We Go to Hell is a 1932 pre-Code film directed by Dorothy Arzner, and starring Fredric March and Sylvia Sidney. Its title is an example of the sensationalistic titles that were common in the pre-Code era.[2] Many newspapers refused to publicize the film because of its racy title.[3] The title is a line March's character says while making a toast.[4]

March plays a man undone by alcoholism and adultery.[5] Sidney plays his wife w

• Thanks 2

MERRILY WE GO TO HELL was directed by DOROTHY ARZNER who directed three  films I' ve seen (that I can think of off-hand): THE BRIDE WORE RED, CHRISTOPHER STRONG, and DANCE, GIRL, DANCE and each was REALLY, REALLY interesting- very forward-thinking, and (at times) shocking, and each had REALLY WELL-WRITTEN FEMALE CHARACTERS.

CHRISTOPHER STRONG [the best of the three] was one of the first "lesser known" classics I ever watched- on TNT when I was 9 or 10, I watched because I was a big horror fan and it had HELEN CHANDLER and COLIN CLIVE.

I saw it via the DVD a few months ago. It's pretty strong, and very well acted by March and Sidney it's definitely a drama, so even though the main theme is alcoholism during the time of prohibition (March is the tipsy one), there aren't quite as many risque scenes as many pre-codes; the main one comes late in the film after their marriage has curdled and they briefly try dating others. Cary Grant briefly appears as Sidney's date at a drunken party.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

I thought this was just another thread about the forum changes.

Yeah, I thought that for a split second too, or else something about how Trump followers feel and belonged on a different forum page.

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DAMMIT.

**** PARAMOUNT WITH A RUSTY RAKE!

This was the first film on TCM that I was looking forward to in a long, long, long time.

It is still showing up on the Directv schedule, and that is usually right.  So I think it is going to play. 

Just now, LsDoorMat said:

It is still showing up on the Directv schedule, and that is usually right.  So I think it is going to play. 

we'll see, but i have my doubts. this has happened a few times before- TCM thought they had the rights to something and at THE ELEVENTH HOUR, they found out they did not and replaced it BUT FAST with something public domain or an encore.

for the record, it is possible that MERRILY... can be found online though...hint hint.

i checked and MERRILY is one of the PARAMOUNT titles that was bought by UNIVERSAL (who now owns it)- so maybe it's not a Rights issue, maybe the film just needs to be digitized for modern airplay (and has not yet been.)

if they showed it at the film festival, then I can't imagine the quality is too poor for them to show (also they fact that TCM has  no issues running some real rat's-**** prints of films from time to time.)

40 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

we'll see, but i have my doubts. this has happened a few times before- TCM thought they had the rights to something and at THE ELEVENTH HOUR, they found out they did not and replaced it BUT FAST with something public domain or an encore.

for the record, it is possible that MERRILY... can be found online though...hint hint.

I've got it on DVD in the old Universal precode DVD set. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I've got it on DVD in the old Universal precode DVD set. 

Well that’s good (re: UNIVERSAL), Beacause for whatever reason, PARAMOUNT Is the absolute least cooperative of the classic studios when it comes to allowing TCM to broadcast From their catalog.

.ALL the others- RKO, WB, MGM, Columbia and Universal Seem willing to play nice, but Paramount? Nope. 

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Well that’s good, Beacause for whatever reason, PARAMOUNT Is the absolute least cooperative of the classic studios when it comes to allowing TCM to broadcast. ALL the others- RKO, WB, MGM, Columbia and Universal Seem willing to play nice, but Paramount? Nope. 

You might take a look at Kino Lorber. They've been releasing a slew of Universal's old stuff on Blu. With commentary even.  And that includes the Paramounts that Universal owns.  Besides the usual suspects they are releasing some really obscure stuff I have never even heard of. 

• Thanks 1

It might be a TCM schedule error. They have the docu running later at 75 mins. but running MUCH longer at 8pm (long enough to include the Hell film) I'm hoping it will still be on. It's odd as it was on there yesterday. I don't know what they are going to do with that extra time if no film is in that slot.

• Thanks 1