Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MERRILY WE GO TO HELL

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It might be a TCM schedule error. They have the docu running later at 45 mins. but running MUCH longer at 8pm (long enough to include the Hell film) I'm hoping it will still be on. It's odd as it was on there yesterday. I don't know what they are going to do with that extra time if no film is in that slot.

Similar thing happened a couple of weeks ago (don't remember the film) where it disappeared on the TCM website schedule, and never filled with anything else - just showed a block of time for the previous film that was too long.  Other schedules from TV providers (YouTube, DirectTV, etc) had the film still showing, and that was indeed the case.  The film was aired on TCM.

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It might be a TCM schedule error. They have the docu running later at 45 mins. but running MUCH longer at 8pm (long enough to include the Hell film) I'm hoping it will still be on. It's odd as it was on there yesterday. I don't know what they are going to do with that extra time if no film is in that slot.

I'm looking at the schedule on tcm.com right now. They say that the documentary runs 60 minutes. The schedule  allows 75 minutes for that. I am assuming that is for conversation before and after. Documentary is scheduled at 8PM and at 10:45 EST.  Merrily We Go to Hell is 78 minutes long with a 90 minute slot starting at 9:15PM EST so this all makes sense to me. 

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DAMMIT.

**** PARAMOUNT WITH A RUSTY RAKE!

This was the first film on TCM that I was looking forward to in a long, long, long time.

Double damn.  I really wanted to see this film.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Similar thing happened a couple of weeks ago (don't remember the film) where it disappeared on the TCM website schedule, and never filled with anything else - just showed a block of time for the previous film that was too long.  Other schedules from TV providers (YouTube, DirectTV, etc) had the film still showing, and that was indeed the case.  The film was aired on TCM.

I think you are speaking of Ramona. Several people here said it disappeared off of the online schedule, and yet it was always on the Directv schedule. It did run on TCM in its originally scheduled slot. What was goofy on the TCM schedule is that they had "The miracle of sound", which is a short, running two hours. 

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DAMMIT.

This was the first film on TCM that I was looking forward to in a long, long, long time.

All of Paramount's sound films 1929-1948 belong to Universal. The only one in that time period that still belongs to Paramount is  "Miracle of Morgan's Creek". And that is because they couldn't unload it in the 50s because nobody thought it would ever be allowed on TV.  Since it amounts to probably the drugging  and date rape of an underage girl by a WWII soldier on leave who the girl can't even remember and her subsequent pregnancy, I'm surprised it got made at all. 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I think you are speaking of Ramona. Several people here said it disappeared off of the online schedule, and yet it was always on the Directv schedule. It did run on TCM in its originally scheduled slot. What was goofy on the TCM schedule is that they had "The miracle of sound", which is a short, running two hours. 

LOL. On a continuous loop.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Whats happened to the film? It's not listed on tonight's schedule. Was it pulled? :(

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DAMMIT.

Just like I mentioned in the All That Jazz thread, there seems to be a glitch with TCM's online schedule when it comes to premieres. Same thing happened with Vibes in July and Ramona in August and they both ended up airing. Plus the Women Make Film schedule shows that it is still on.....

tRbCq5n.png

• Thanks 3
Just now, CinemaInternational said:

Just like I mentioned in the All That Jazz thread, there seems to be a glitch with TCM's online schedule when it comes to premieres. Same thing happened with Vibes in July and Ramona in August and they both ended up airing. Plus the Women Make Film schedule shows that it is still on.....

tRbCq5n.png

I still STILL stand by my “rusty rake” assertion. 
It’s my answer for everything these days.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I still STILL stand by my “rusty rake” assertion. 
It’s my answer for everything these days.

I've never heard that expression. What does it mean?

2 hours ago, antoniacarlotta said:

I'm watching this movie with my 98 and 99 year old grandparents, and they seemed a little surprised at the title. Would this be considered more bold/improper than usual in 1932?

The following is part of a post which Lorna posted earlier in this thread, AC:

Merrily We Go to Hell is a 1932 pre-Code film directed by Dorothy Arzner, and starring Fredric March and Sylvia Sidney. Its title is an example of the sensationalistic titles that were common in the pre-Code era.[2] Many newspapers refused to publicize the film because of its racy title.[3] The title is a line March's character says while making a toast.

---------------

And in addition, the IMDb webpage for this film states the following:

The word "HELL" could not be used in the UK as part of a title, so the UK version was simply re-titled "Merrily We Go to ____".

----------------

And so yes, I'd say it's title would have been considered bold and improper by many when it was released in 1932, and I'd bet not only its title but also its subject matter might have been used at the time as grist for those such as Will Hays working to create the soon-to-come Motion Picture Production Code.

(...btw, I watched this film this evening and quite enjoyed it, and began wondering why Fredric March was always so good at playing drunks...great copy of the film, too)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched it.

I love Pre-Codes so much, it's hard to put it into words.

Even when the acting is peculiar is the script is mediocre, you still more often than not come across a couple dozen REALLY INTERESTING, "OH MY GOD, THEY DID THAT BACK THEN TOO?!?" moments, and MERRILY WE GO TO HELL was one of those movies.

I literally took notes as I watched.

First off, a question: in the very first scene, the camera cleverly zooms in on a bottle of HENNESSEE (sp?)- this film was made in 1932, Prohibition didn't end til a year later- were people putting commercial labels on liquor during Prohibition? Had we gotten that ballsy about it?

after that- observations-

Holy ****, FREDERIC MARCH PUNCHES A GUY IN THE THROAT in this movie! it is also a coworker of his and while the guy is a dillhole, I don't think anything he does MERITS A PUNCH IN THE THROAT- rewind and watch if you can, it shocked me. AND THERE IS NO FOLLOW-UP WITH HR OR ANYTHING, THEY JUST GO BACK TO WORK!!!!!!

There are CANDLESTICK PHONES in this movie. I LOVE A CANDLESTICK PHONE. it was odd though to see MARCH toss the candlestick phone he had just been talking on to a coworker and see that it was NOT PLUGGED IN. Were wireless candlestick phones a thing? and if so, I WANT ONE!!!!!!!

MARCH is an aspiring playwright whose wife (SYDNEY) makes him write at least three pages a day. as someone who has written a fair amount, she is going too easy on him and needs to up the number to AT LEAST five.

CANNED CHICKEN was a thing in the 1930's?????? EW EW EW EW EW!

MARCH'S character's HIT BROADWAY PLAY is called- get this- WHEN WOMEN SAY "NO"- A SATIRICAL COMEDY. I wonder if it was optioned years later by a young BILL COSBY.

• Like 3

I recorded it to watch later as something else was on I wanted to watch that was the end of a 2 part show. It ran over and I missed some of the wrap up. Looking forward to watching it, maybe tonight.

53 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I recorded it to watch later as something else was on I wanted to watch that was the end of a 2 part show. It ran over and I missed some of the wrap up. Looking forward to watching it, maybe tonight.

it's not great, but it's interesting (or at least I thought so.) There are also quite a few allusions (and one bad joke) about homosexuality in the first act.

and SYDNEY WAS GORGEOUS:

tumblr_o0728uRozk1rdfgw4o1_500.gifv