Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MERRILY WE GO TO HELL

EDIT- APPARENTLY THE [SPOILER] FUNCTION NO LONGER WORKS. SO BEWARE, SPOILERS BELOW:

[spoiler]

one thing i often enjoy about classic  films is that they often- in the name of DRAMA and ROMANCE!- INSIST that the LEADS belong together- in spite of some pretty troubling details- and this was one case where I really wished that the LOVING COUPLE had NOT gotten together at the end.

MARCH'S CHARACTER was just such a ****heel and to be a hopeless alcoholic with a real SADISTIC streak as well, I REALLY wish I could have interjected myself into the film, where I did this in the background  while waving at SYLVIA SYDNEY'S character.

"YOO-HOO, GIRLFRIEND!!!!!"

giphy.gif

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

EDIT- APPARENTLY THE [SPOILER] FUNCTION NO LONGER WORKS. SO BEWARE, SPOILERS BELOW:

[spoiler]

one thing i often enjoy about classic  films is that they often- in the name of DRAMA and ROMANCE!- INSIST that the LEADS belong together- in spite of some pretty troubling details- and this was one case where I really wished that the LOVING COUPLE had NOT gotten together at the end.

MARCH'S CHARACTER was just such a ****heel and to be a hopeless alcoholic with a real SADISTIC streak as well, I REALLY wish I could have interjected myself into the film, where I did this in the background  while waving at SYLVIA SYDNEY'S character.

giphy.gif

Yes I was wishing that the dad would at least knock his block off.  However, Sylvia wore some beautiful clothes. I especially loved that dress she was wearing when she finally packed & left. It looked black with a cape-let thing with metallic embroidery. Love love love that dress. 

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Heh I attended a test preview of a not-yet-released rom-com and when the lying bf knocked at the door someone in the audience blurted, "DON'T ANSWER IT!!" the entire room erupted in laughter!

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, HelenBaby2 said:

Yes I was wishing that the dad would at least knock his block off.  However, Sylvia wore some beautiful clothes. I especially loved that dress she was wearing when she finally packed & left. It looked black with a cape-let thing with metallic embroidery. Love love love that dress. 

I THINK IF THEY HAD REWRITTEN THE SCRIPT TO (oops, caps lock) make the FATHER'S part bigger, like THIRD LEAD- maybe even gotten a bigger name to play the role- it would have made a much better movie. the contrast of the two relationships was really one of the most effective things in the film.

Also, i love stories about RICH PEOPLE.

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I watched it.

I love Pre-Codes so much, it's hard to put it into words.

Even when the acting is peculiar is the script is mediocre, you still more often than not come across a couple dozen REALLY INTERESTING, "OH MY GOD, THEY DID THAT BACK THEN TOO?!?" moments, and MERRILY WE GO TO HELL was one of those movies.

I literally took notes as I watched.

First off, a question: in the very first scene, the camera cleverly zooms in on a bottle of HENNESSEE (sp?)- this film was made in 1932, Prohibition didn't end til a year later- were people putting commercial labels on liquor during Prohibition? Had we gotten that ballsy about it?

after that- observations-

Holy ****, FREDERIC MARCH PUNCHES A GUY IN THE THROAT in this movie! it is also a coworker of his and while the guy is a dillhole, I don't think anything he does MERITS A PUNCH IN THE THROAT- rewind and watch if you can, it shocked me. AND THERE IS NO FOLLOW-UP WITH HR OR ANYTHING, THEY JUST GO BACK TO WORK!!!!!!

There are CANDLESTICK PHONES in this movie. I LOVE A CANDLESTICK PHONE. it was odd though to see MARCH toss the candlestick phone he had just been talking on to a coworker and see that it was NOT PLUGGED IN. Were wireless candlestick phones a thing? and if so, I WANT ONE!!!!!!!

MARCH is an aspiring playwright whose wife (SYDNEY) makes him write at least three pages a day. as someone who has written a fair amount, she is going too easy on him and needs to up the number to AT LEAST five.

CANNED CHICKED was a thing in the 1930's?????? EW EW EW EW EW!

MARCH'S character's HIT BROADWAY PLAY is called- get this- WHEN WOMEN SAY "NO"- A SATIRICAL COMEDY. I wonder if it was optioned years later by a young BILL COSBY.

Lorna, it looks like somebody was going to PM you on some of these points, but if not perhaps I can help. My grandmother was born in 1899, died in 1982, so I asked her quite a bit about things like when was the first time she saw a car, what was it like to live with polio always a threat,etc. So here are some answers. 

First off, a question: in the very first scene, the camera cleverly zooms in on a bottle of HENNESSEE (sp?)- this film was made in 1932, Prohibition didn't end til a year later- were people putting commercial labels on liquor during Prohibition? Had we gotten that ballsy about it?

Answer - Yes bootleggers often put the labels of well known brands of liquor that were not in production at that time on their goods.  The buyer knew it was pretend, the seller knew it too. It just gave the product a touch of class. 

CANNED CHICKED was a thing in the 1930's?????? EW EW EW EW EW!

Answer - Yes, canned everything was a thing. Because when you "rented a room" in those days you often did just that. There was a shared bathroom on the floor and no individual kitchens included. This was because boarding houses were often  just huge mansions where the original owner lost everything and eventually the house ended up a boarding house.  So just like a bedroom would have just a radiator for heat, that's all that a room you rented might have too.  People often cooked on those radiators though.  There was no such thing as regulations for safety or hygiene or anything. No tenant rights.  It is very common to look on the biographies of well known people and find out they were born to wealth and then the family lost everything because the father died and there was nothing left but debts.  I believe that is what happened to Robert Montgomery in adolescence. Then the rich in America got smart and had the laws changed to "bankruptcy for thee but not for me".  The political rant at the end is from me, not granny. 

• Like 4

PS- Canned chicken cooked on a radiator. Wow. That is BLEAK.

(For some reason, all I can think of is a cranbelly jelly-like thing where it SCHLOOORPS out of the can in a cylinder  when you tip it...)

also, how funny would it have been had the can design been the ONE PICTURED below, but instead said: "CHICKEN of the CHICKEN (FANCY CHICKEN)"?

1930.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(For some reason, all I can think of is a cranbelly jelly-like thing where it SCHLOOORPS out of the can in a cylinder  when you tip it...)

also, how funny would it have been had the can design been the ONE PICTURED below, but instead said: "CHICKEN of the CHICKEN (FANCY CHICKEN)"?

1930.jpg

Notice that the can is 7 ozs.      All the major tuna companies just lost a major US Government lawsuit over price fixing,     They all conspired to lower the size to 5 ozs. without lowering the overall cost.     But the government will get the vast majority of 100 million dollar fine since it is very difficult for consumer to prove how many cans of tuna they purchased the last 10 years or so  (for me that would be around 800 - 1,200 cans,  since I eat a can or two per week).

Simple southern Italian canned tuna recipe: 

1) saute a lot of garlic (I use around 10 cloves) in olive oil with red-pepper flakes (to the degree of 'heat' you wish).

2) add a large can of crushed tomatoes.   Let this cook for an hour.    Add water if the sauce gets too thick   

3)  add 2 to 3 cans of well drained tuna,   chopped fresh parsley (ok one can use dried).    Let that cook for 20 minutes.

4) add capers and black olives - cut in half (the cheap canned ones are fine) to finish (these only need to heat).

5) serve over long pasta

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1930.jpg

Well, actually I was thinkin' somethin' more along of the lines of "Tuna of the Land" as an alternate here. ;) 

• Haha 2
13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

You’re right, that is better. 
If this were MAD MEN I’d steal it and not give you credit.

LOL

Well, ya know Lorna.  IF you did that, I MIGHT consider running your butt over with my 1962 Coupe de Ville!  ;)

(...well okay, Draper's '62 Coupe de Ville, anyway)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Well, ya know Lorna.  IF you did that, I MIGHT consider running your butt over with my 1962 Coupe de Ville!  ;)

(...well okay, Draper's '62 Coupe de Ville, anyway)

it would be AN HONOR to die under the wheels of such a MAGNIFICENT piece of AMERICAN MACHINERY.

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it would be AN HONOR to die under the wheels of such a MAGNIFICENT piece of AMERICAN MACHINERY.

LOL

That's how my father felt about his '62 Caddy back in the day.

(...'cept his was the four door Sedan de Ville model)

I guess it should not be a surprise that canned chicken existed in the 30s. After all that was the decade that gave birth to that famous/infamous mystery meat SPAM. 

88ac1ea3ad518d3f89ef279637460d66.jpg

it's simply amazing to me that Hormel wanted people to think that people with maids would want to eat Spam. Can you really imagine Nelson Rockerfeller getting a hankering for a plate of mystery meat?

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I guess it should not be a surprise that canned chicken existed in the 30s. After all that was the decade that gave birth to that famous/infamous mystery meat SPAM. 

88ac1ea3ad518d3f89ef279637460d66.jpg

it's simply amazing to me that Hormel wanted people to think that people with maids would want to eat Spam. Can you really imagine Nelson Rockerfeller getting a hankering for a plate of mystery meat?

Yeah, but Louise Beavers' part in THIS flick sure wouldn't have been as large IF there were no Spam to parody at the time, right?!  ;)

tumblr_ngsidf7D0S1rtlg9wo1_500.jpg

• Like 1

I missed it last night so I just watched it on YouTube . 

I agree  that Sydney was GORGEOUS.  Such huge eyes in that  heart shaped face, sometimes she would remind me of 

Claudette Colbert and other times of Myrna Loy.  

Everyone seemed to have trouble saying "Joan".  Fredric March kept calling her  Jon and Cary Grant called her June.

I think of all the gigantic staircases inside enormous entry ways, in a ll the films, Joan's father's house wins.

19 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1930.jpg

That reminds me of a true story I read somewhere of a hungry projectionist working overtime, who put a can of pork-n-beans into a projector lamphouse (big hot arc light on back of projector) to warm it up, and forgot about it.  The can exploded, the door on the side of the lamphouse swung open, and beans everywhere in the lamphouse and in the projection booth.  As far as I remember, the show went on.  The theater manager heard the noise and checked up on him.  He popped his head in, looked around, shook his head, then left.  Many years later when his son was cleaning the projector, he found remnants of the pork and beans still in the lamphouse of the projector.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Answer - Yes, canned everything was a thing.

Don't forget the grocery store signs in DOUBLE INDEMNITY: "CAND BEANS, CAND CHICKEN" apparently, ebonics was around in the 30's-40's.

And I loved your grandmother's stories LS, I did the same thing with my Nana-that's how I learned about "rolling your stockings below your knees & putting rouge on your knee caps." And the house I live in, Nana rented these rooms out in tough times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

I agree  that Sydney was GORGEOUS.  Such huge eyes in that  heart shaped face,

Everyone seemed to have trouble saying "Joan".  Fredric March kept calling her  Jon and Cary Grant called her June.

I think of all the gigantic staircases inside enormous entry ways, in a ll the films, Joan's father's house wins.

1. I once mentioned that SYLVIA SYDNEY looks like a BEAUTIFUL INSECT, and someone got offended here- BUT IT'S TRUE! (And it's a compliment)

2. At least Grant didn't call her "Ju-dee." I also LOVE IT WHEN MALE CHARACTERS ARE NAMED "JERRY!" IN 1930'S FILMS! They have this jaunty way of saying it I cannot convey phonetically, but it's very MID-ATLANTIC.

3. When I saw that staircase and that hall I said something along the lines of "OH GOOD, THEY'RE RICH!" I mean, IN ALL HONESTY: who wants to watch a movie about broke people with real problems during THE GREAT DEPRESSION?

Also, I bet there were some folks in the audience back in 1932 who yelled out "JUST DUST IT OFF, IT'S FINE!" when MARCH drops SYDNEY'S just out of the oven ROAST CHICKEN on the dining room floor.

[there was no 10 second rule in 1932.]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1