Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MERRILY WE GO TO HELL

42 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Apologies to Hibi for turning your nice little MERRILY WE GO TO HELL thread into a symposium on CANNED CHICKEN.

-LHF aka "The Derailer"

YOU SHOULD! And I'm a VEGETARIAN to boot! :(

23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

A laurel pattern maybe? or fern?

OIP.QEfGqgOSMS72DlSezFrvbQHaFj?pid=Api&r

Yes that’s the dress! So beautiful (at least I think so) and wished I could wear it & look as beautiful as she did in it. Alas, I’m a fat senior citizen who would look ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I also LOVE IT WHEN MALE CHARACTERS ARE NAMED "JERRY!" IN 1930'S FILMS! They have this jaunty way of saying it I cannot convey phonetically, but it's very MID-ATLANTIC.

Yes!  I can hear Bette Davis saying it that way, about a hundred times, in "Now Voyager."

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

When I saw that staircase and that hall I said something along the lines of "OH GOOD, THEY'RE RICH!" I mean, IN ALL HONESTY: who wants to watch a movie about broke people with real problems during THE GREAT DEPRESSION?

It was either a mansion with a 4000 sq ft entry  way and 50 ft ceilings or a 10 by 15  unit in one of those horrible rooming houses with dirty wall parer and  a hot plate for  cooking  CANNED CHICKEN.  Nothing  in between. 

No wonder everyone was so thrilled with those little Levitt houses after the war.

• Like 1

Quanset Huts.

hqdefault.jpg

I used to own one of those charming 1948 enamel on steel pre-fab houses. Bought it for $1 since the property owners were replacing it with a new quadruple size PVC constructed house to hold all their STUFF. 

1950_lustron.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

genuinely and truly- there was a HUGE HOUSING SHORTAGE. People were glad to get Kwantset Huts (sp?)

I think you were probably thinking of "Kwanzaa Huts" here, Lorna.

Particularly fashionable around the holiday season, and especially within the African-American community.

(...sorry, couldn't resist)

11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

MAKES ME THINK OF THIS

Yeah sure, I can see why. 

However, being an old Southern California boy myself, I was always more a fan of Freddy Martin and his Orchestra's 1947 recording of 'Pico and Sepulveda'.

(...and even though it was recorded under the alias, "Felix Figueroa and his Orchestra", as you might know)

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I have WB cartoons to thank for much of my pop culture knowledge of the 1940s...

Yep Tex, and in MY case, those cartoons AND the Dr. Demento radio program.

(...and as my previous mention of the 1947 recording 'Pico and Sepulveda' would attest to)

26 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah sure, I can see why. 

However, being an old Southern California boy myself, I was always more a fan of Freddy Martin and his Orchestra's 1947 recording of 'Pico and Sepulveda'.

Ah yes, PICO AND SEPULVEDA, or as I called it when I lived in SoCal, : "HOLY ****! ROLL THE WINDOWS UP AND DRIVE!!!!!!"

(Kidding, kidding- that address is about as West LA as it gets)

30 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Ah yes, PICO AND SEPULVEDA, or as I called it when I lived in SoCal, : "HOLY ****! ROLL THE WINDOWS UP AND DRIVE!!!!!!"

(Kidding, kidding- that address is about as West LA as it gets)

Yep, it's not a "bad part" of town to be sure.

Btw, I've heard there was once a drive-in restaurant on that intersection.

I remember watching a particular 'You Bet Your Life' rerun back in the 1980s, and where after Groucho did his cursory leer at a nice looking young lady who had just walked on stage to became one of his next contestants, he asked her what she did for a living. As I recall it, she said she worked as a carhop. When Groucho then pressed her at which of the then many drive-in restaurants that might be, she replied with the name of it and mentioned it was located at Pico and Sepulveda.

(...I then of course immediately thought of that song which I had first heard a few years prior on the Dr. Demento radio program)

22 hours ago, Dargo said:

I think you were probably thinking of "Kwanzaa Huts" here, Lorna.

Particularly fashionable around the holiday season, and especially within the African-American community.

Kwanzaa Hut you say?

giphy.gif

In this upgrade,  they should have added an emoji just for Dargo puns! 

tumblr_oqlqmg34uV1tgevqdo6_400.gif

• Haha 2