Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

M.I.A.

ArchieCarstairs

Archie,

I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe Mark is having the same problems logging in/posting that many of us are plagued with. Or maybe his real life got really busy.

Whatever it is, we miss you Mark and hope you come back soon, especially with all the great films coming our way over the next few months!

Since I'm still relatively new here there are a lot of folks I'm not too familiar with yet, but Mark's posts always made me smile. Hope all is OK with him & that other posters who are M.I.A. and missed by others will show up again soon, too!

Now Playing on my little CD player: The soundtrack from LORD LOVE A DUCK. As Mark would say: "Groovin!"

*I thought this was about the rapper! You guys should talk about her, her music on movie soundtracks is superb!*

This is a board dedicated to classic movies. I don't recall a lot of rap music in classic film scores.

But you are more than welcome to open a discussion about it. Just don't be too surprised if there isn't a lot of participation. A message board dedicated to today's films might be more receptive.

M.I.A. isn't really a rapper, more of a world fusion pop artist who is British/Sri Lankan descent (and now she's a Brooklyn girl!). Extraordinarily talented and one of the brightest lights on the current musical scene, her music is very smart and very political.

Her song "Paper Planes" was used in the trailer for *Pineapple Express* , but the only real reason she MIGHT belong on these boards is the inclusion of the same song in *Slumdog Millionaire* -- not a favorite of mine, but I suspect one that will be considered a "classic" in years to come.

You won't find her in a Bette Davis trailer, and few on these boards will have deep interest, but there ya go. (Among my many hats, I'm a nightclub DJ, so I keep up with the music and the kids).

It won't be to everyone's taste, but here's the *Slumdog* video:

And here's the (terrific) music video for "Paper Planes."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqlY0VOFtyA

Just so you know.

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies, cuz his reviled PlainText enemy will doom him at every turn.

Archie, I didn't mean to say that I was upset or that you used the wrong term. I was just surprised to realize that some people younger than I may not know what the term means. It also made me think about how "wars" may have changed, since the term is not common now. The title is fine -there's no way that I know of to change it. There's lots of posters missing - maybe it's too darn hard to stay on here. Thanks, cinemafan

Archie....thank you so much for your care and concern!

I'm sorry I haven't been around lately. I'm experiencing some very rough and tough times and I thank you and others, like Lynn, for your concern and care.

I'll try to post as much as I can...as I'm just now getting back into watching TCM again, after a bit of a hiatus.

You folks are awesome, thank you!