Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What happened to "All That Jazz"?

I believe that it is still on the schedule. there has been a glitch at some points recently with the online schedule and TCM Premieres; both Vibes (1988) in July and Ramona (1928) in August both disappeared from the online schedule after being announced, but both ended up airing on TCM as originally planned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
16 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Am I missing something with “All That Jazz” ? I watched it because of the acclaim, it’s on Criterion, and my best friend loves it... and I thought it was awful. 

I didn't like it when it was first released, and I haven't seen it since.  I'll watch this time to see if my opinion changed.  I've been on a Fosse binge of late, so that may influence my opinion.

When I saw it once, a few years back, I remember thinking very highly of the film (Roy Scheider was never better, and Ann Reinking, who essentially lived her part in this film in real life, is deeply touching and moving), but there were two scenes that i wish weren't there. The first was the "Air-otica" scene in which a dark musical number turns into an o*r*g*y* onstage. That scene seemed to go on forever and it left me very uncomfortable. The other of course was the open heart surgery scene. I remember seeing a comment on the old IMDb boards years ago, and one of the people commenting saw the film in 1980 on its original release, and they said there were a lot of walkouts on the surgery scene.

• Like 2

1979 was the yr I first really fell in love with movies at only 14

The Best Picture contenders were>

*KRAMER VS. KRAMER (swept 5) Excellent but plays more like a great tv movie, same goes for Oscar fav the following yr *ORDINARY PEOPLE which outrageously defeated RAGING BULL?

ALL THAT JAZZ

APOCALYPSE NOW  The one that really put the hook in me back then & ever since fopr cinema

BREAKING AWAY

& NORMA RAE

But these weren't up for BP that year>

BEING THERE

BLACK STALLION

& MORE

On 9/1/2020 at 4:21 PM, BongoBox said:

I saw that at 10:45PM "All That Jazz" was going to premiere on TCM, but now... it's gone?
Yet there's a hole in the lineup.

Anyone know what happened, or if it's still going to be shown?

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 3.20.49 PM.png

Gave his STAR 80 3 & 1/2 stars when I reviewed it that year & all said this guy out of  nowhere called ERIC ROBERTS who easily stole the picture & who snagged an OSCAR shot for '85's powerhouse RUNAWAY TRAIN opposite Oscar nominee JON VOIGHT-(unrecognizable)

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

The other of course was the open heart surgery scene. 

Consider it historical preservation. They're doing fewer and fewer of them, and soon they'll be relegated to medical history. (Wasn't Bones in Star Trek appalled at the thought of cutting people open to fix things? Well, we're getting there.)

I've had several over the years (not that particular procedure, but they had to open me up to darn my aorta and do a valve job). Now, they don't bother. I just came home ('just' as in hours, not days) from having the latest procedure, and there isn't a cut or stitch on me -- it's all done by shoving tubes up your arteries and playing a remote-controlled claw game (grab this from here and move it over there, bring in this new thing and drop it into the hole, etc.). 

I wish we could get TCM because that'd be the perfect movie right now, but our DVD of it is in storage, and the only service which streams it free injects a lot of ads.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Capuchin said:

Consider it historical preservation. They're doing fewer and fewer of them, and soon they'll be relegated to medical history. (Wasn't Bones in Star Trek appalled at the thought of cutting people open to fix things? Well, we're getting there.)

I've had several over the years (not that particular procedure, but they had to open me up to darn my aorta and do a valve job). Now, they don't bother. I just came home ('just' as in hours, not days) from having the latest procedure, and there isn't a cut or stitch on me -- it's all done by shoving tubes up your arteries and playing a remote-controlled claw game (grab this from here and move it over there, bring in this new thing and drop it into the hole, etc.). 

I wish we could get TCM because that'd be the perfect movie right now, but our DVD of it is in storage, and the only service which streams it free injects a lot of ads.

But there still has to be some small initial incision done in order to get those tubes inserted into your arteries, right Capuchin?

(...would that be in your groin area?)

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

But there still has to be some small initial incision done in order to get those tubes inserted into your arteries, right Capuchin?

(...would that be in your groin area?)

They're puncture marks, just like you'd see if you got stabbed with a sharp pencil or bitten by a South Dakota mosquito.

I have two on my right arm, radial artery insertion for, first, an LV cath, and then two inches away for the main event. 

There are two lower down (femoral arteries), one for an LV cath which went horrible wrong and then one on the other side for the procedure. I don't pretend to know a lot about the process, and you know who is off gallivanting somewhere this week (she probably doesn't know anything about it either, but she knows what to search for and understands the lingo, so she can usually find a lot of info, fast, and dumb it down for me). I think the femoral artery is the only one big enough for the valve to go up. 

Oddly, when they access the femoral artery to hook up a heart-lung machine during regular surgery, it's inside the leg and as high as they can get. These are full frontal,  about midway between NSFW and the waistline. 

I don't think you'll ever see this type of procedure in a movie -- it would look cheap and fake,  just tubes running into a pack of gauze while the surgeon twiddles the controls. 

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Capuchin said:

They're puncture marks, just like you'd see if you got stabbed with a sharp pencil or bitten by a South Dakota mosquito.

I have two on my right arm, radial artery insertion for, first, an LV cath, and then two inches away for the main event. 

There are two lower down (femoral arteries), one for an LV cath which went horrible wrong and then one on the other side for the procedure. I don't pretend to know a lot about the process, and you know who is off gallivanting somewhere this week (she probably doesn't know anything about it either, but she knows what to search for and understands the lingo, so she can usually find a lot of info, fast, and dumb it down for me). I think the femoral artery is the only one big enough for the valve to go up. 

Oddly, when they access the femoral artery to hook up a heart-lung machine during regular surgery, it's inside the leg and as high as they can get. These are full frontal,  about midway between NSFW and the waistline. 

I don't think you'll ever see this type of procedure in a movie -- it would look cheap and fake,  just tubes running into a pack of gauze while the surgeon twiddles the controls. 

Amazing the medical advances that have taken place in heart surgery procedures just since this movie was made and when I first watched it, isn't it Capuchin?!

But then again, that WAS over 40 years ago now, wasn't it! DAMN, time flies!  ;)

(...glad to hear you're doin' well...I'm sure your lovely Sans is especially, and no matter where she might be off to at the moment)

• Thanks 1

All That Jazz used to air in frequent rotation on Fox Movie Channel and I was pretty fascinated by it. No question there are some unpleasant things about the film but it was just so compelling to me.

The first time I watched it,  I’d only seen Sandahl Bergman in The Firm Vol. 3, an exercise video. (Laugh if you want but I still have the whole original series and they are among my favorite workout tapes.)  I was so pleased to see her and then...that [auto censored word] dance routine unfolded and I was just kinda stunned for a while.

I think the three movies I most enjoyed on the old FMC were All That JazzZoo in Budapest, and Cult Culture (a thrillingly bonkers mockumentary about fans of The Poseidon Adventure).

There’s an owl🦉hooting in the side yard right now!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...glad to hear you're doin' well...I'm sure your lovely Sans is especially)

I suppose she will be, when I tell her. She left the day before I went in for the exam which precipitated all this. Communications are typically one or two e-mails a day, so it was easy to forget to mention where I was and what was happening. If I'd told her, she'd have cut things short for no reason, and these little tours are a major part of her income.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, spence said:

1979 was the yr I first really fell in love with movies at only 14

The Best Picture contenders were>

*KRAMER VS. KRAMER (swept 5) Excellent but plays more like a great tv movie, same goes for Oscar fav the following yr *ORDINARY PEOPLE which outrageously defeated RAGING BULL?

ALL THAT JAZZ

APOCALYPSE NOW  The one that really put the hook in me back then & ever since fopr cinema

BREAKING AWAY

& NORMA RAE

But these weren't up for BP that year>

BEING THERE

BLACK STALLION

& MORE

they screwed up in 80 by not giving Jerry Goldsmith a 2nd oscar for his score to Star Trek the Motion Picture.

one of the best film scores ever composed.

• Like 1
On 9/1/2020 at 7:04 PM, speedracer5 said:

Am I missing something with “All That Jazz” ? I watched it because of the acclaim, it’s on Criterion, and my best friend loves it... and I thought it was awful. 

Not necessarily.  ALL THAT JAZZ is one of those films that people will either love or hate without any middle ground.  It helps if you know and appreciate Bob Fosse's work both on stage and on film.   A lot of people compare Fosse to Gene Kelly in that they were both immensely talented dancers who created new styles of dance, but  anyone sitting down and watching  ALL THAT JAZZ   for the first time thinking it's just going to be a standard showbiz musical like the studios use to crank out will be in for a huge shock.  There's some awfully  creative, and some have  even said, "brilliant" things in that film, but it's simply not for everyone's taste.  

• Like 4
On 9/1/2020 at 7:04 PM, speedracer5 said:

i was involved with a guy who loved it, and I HATE HIM NOW, so while I have never seen it, I am open to hate-watching.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Calamity said:

I think the three movies I most enjoyed on the old FMC were All That Jazz, Zoo in Budapest, and Cult Culture (a thrillingly bonkers mockumentary about fans of The Poseidon Adventure).

There’s an owl🦉hooting in the side yard right now!

I REALLY want to see this film.