Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What happened to "All That Jazz"?

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ps- sorry to be dense, but did I miss ALL THAT JAZZ? did it air? or has it yet to be determined? i can't seem to find the answer in the thread....

It aired last night (2 September)

Back in the early days of cable( early '80's) in my area the movie was so often shown it was hard to avoid.  Being a Scheider  fan, I thought his work in it was deftly handled.  And I usually find shows and/or movies dealing with different concepts about the end of life, like TWILIGHT ZONE's "Incident at The Owl Creek Bridge" and the movie JACOB'S LADDER('90) fascinating.  

Plus it was a new take on the creation and production of Broadway musicals never dreamed of during the making of 42nd street and such.  ;)  And since I still have my old VHS tape of it I didn't bother to tune in to TCM for it.  Was kind of in the mood for something different anyway.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Back in the early days of cable( early '80's) in my area the movie was so often shown it was hard to avoid.  Being a Scheider  fan, I thought his work in it was deftly handled.  And I usually find shows and/or movies dealing with different concepts about the end of life, like TWILIGHT ZONE's "Incident at The Owl Creek Bridge"

i'm not familiar with that episode (haven't seen much TWILIGHT ZONE), but there is a radio episode of the same story and it's excellent. Can't think of what show it was...

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

apparently it is NOT on HULU ON DEMAND.

Damn.

Not on YouTubeTV on-demand either.  I didn't see it listed as available on WatchTCM either, but my view may be limited because YouTubeTV subscribers can't get WatchTCM. 

• Sad 1

It was on last night. Your tv provider might have it available on their on demand option.

Oops! Missed a whole series of responses. Your TV provider, satellite or cable, should have an on demand channel or menu option. Different channels provide content in that option. TCM might have All That Jazz as one of their On Demand movies.

The only place I've been able to find it is Pluto TV. You have to select On Demand, scroll down to Drama, then across to View All, and start hunting. Their Search function comes and goes at will, and it's not very reliable when it is working.

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

for all you who also have any sort of ON DEMAND features, I really recommend STAR 80. It was a film I was NOT expecting to like as much as I did.

I watched Star 80 last year (or the year before? whenever Carroll Baker was SUTS).  It was a very interesting film.  Knowing the story of Dorothy Stratten I knew what would ultimately happen to her.  But man, that was a difficult film to watch.  It definitely wouldn't be something I'd want to watch again and again.

14 hours ago, markfp2 said:

Not necessarily.  ALL THAT JAZZ is one of those films that people will either love or hate without any middle ground.  It helps if you know and appreciate Bob Fosse's work both on stage and on film.   A lot of people compare Fosse to Gene Kelly in that they were both immensely talented dancers who created new styles of dance, but  anyone sitting down and watching  ALL THAT JAZZ   for the first time thinking it's just going to be a standard showbiz musical like the studios use to crank out will be in for a huge shock.  There's some awfully  creative, and some have  even said, "brilliant" things in that film, but it's simply not for everyone's taste.  

I think part of the problem is a lot of people aren't ready to identify with or root for a lying, philandering, drug addicted, verbally abusive egoist even if he is a genius. Complicating matters is how his brilliance isn't patently obvious -- people credit the dancers for doing spectacular numbers without really understanding, innately, how it's really the choreographer's brainchild.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I watched Star 80 last year (or the year before? whenever Carroll Baker was SUTS).  It was a very interesting film.  Knowing the story of Dorothy Stratten I knew what would ultimately happen to her.  But man, that was a difficult film to watch.  It definitely wouldn't be something I'd want to watch again and again.

I have a bio about Bob Fosse at home, and not only was Star 80 a deeply disturbing film to watch, but the filming of it seemed to be traumatic for all parties involved. Fosse sounded as though he was terrified and traumatized during much of the filming, and Eric Roberts was a wreck for weeks after playing Dorothy's killer in the film. Plus much of the crew reportedly felt emotionally drained.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I liked All That Jazz (and yes, the nude dance was a little much).  Fosse was a talented but troubled man (his brief dance in Kiss Me Kate - with Carol Haney - is one of the highlights of the film for me).  They didn't need to make Fosse/Verdun (I think Chita Rivera was unhappy).  Ann Reinking and Gwen V. worked together on Fosse (think that was the name) for Broadway.  Saw a touring production where I lived.  All That Jazz had a great cast and Roy S. did a fantastic job.  I believe the last appearance I saw of him was as Vincent D.'s father in Criminal Intent.  He also made a so-so film with Meryl Streep (slasher-type flick).

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

What am I missing?

Not being a natural fan of Musicals, I can understand anybody not liking one, particularly at first viewing.  That is a wonderful surreal personal film, nonetheless, and really a unique film watching experience.  It also has a wonderful soundtrack.  I'm sorry I didn't realize it was scheduled; I love that movie. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Not being a natural fan of Musicals, I can understand anybody not liking one, particularly at first viewing.  That is a wonderful surreal personal film, nonetheless, and really a unique film watching experience.  It also has a wonderful soundtrack.  I'm sorry I didn't realize it was scheduled; I love that movie. 

I love musicals.  I just did not enjoy All That Jazz

1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I liked All That Jazz (and yes, the nude dance was a little much).  Fosse was a talented but troubled man (his brief dance in Kiss Me Kate - with Carol Haney - is one of the highlights of the film for me).  They didn't need to make Fosse/Verdun (I think Chita Rivera was unhappy).  Ann Reinking and Gwen V. worked together on Fosse (think that was the name) for Broadway.  Saw a touring production where I lived.  All That Jazz had a great cast and Roy S. did a fantastic job.  I believe the last appearance I saw of him was as Vincent D.'s father in Criminal Intent.  He also made a so-so film with Meryl Streep (slasher-type flick).

Did TCM show it uncut? Once I found ATJ on the Movies! digital channel...the obscenities were bleeped and the bare breasts digitally blurred. It seems bizarre to make a broadcast edit of this movie.

5 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Did TCM show it uncut? Once I found ATJ on the Movies! digital channel...the obscenities were bleeped and the bare breasts digitally blurred. It seems bizarre to make a broadcast edit of this movie.

TCM aired it with nudity and R-rated language intact.  

• Thanks 1
Just now, spence said:

BYE, BYE LIFE!  well known by virtually all to be a bio of BOB FOSSE himself whom only lived to be age 60 & died in 1987

3 hours ago, Capuchin said:

I think part of the problem is a lot of people aren't ready to identify with or root for a lying, philandering, drug addicted, verbally abusive egoist even if he is a genius. Complicating matters is how his brilliance isn't patently obvious -- people credit the dancers for doing spectacular numbers without really understanding, innately, how it's really the choreographer's brainchild.

Oh yes, I agree with you. It was an era when Hollywood movies were maturing in both subject matter and how it was presented.  Many people weren't ready for such things as blatant sexuality or substance abuse and even today find such things in a movie objectionable.

You're also correct about people giving most of the credit for spectacular dance numbers to just the dancers with little thought to the work of the choreographer. In reality, it's a collaborative effort between both.  That goes back to the early days of movies too. People may have heard of Busby Berkeley and knew he had something to do with with the dancing  but most of them really didn't know just how involved he was.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, markfp2 said:

Oh yes, I agree with you. It was an era when Hollywood movies were maturing in both subject matter and how it was presented.  Many people weren't ready for such things as blatant sexuality or substance abuse and even today find such things in a movie objectionable.

You're also correct about people giving most of the credit for spectacular dance numbers to just the dancers with little thought to the work of the choreographer. In reality, it's a collaborative effort between both.  That goes back to the early days of movies too. People may have heard of Busby Berkeley and knew he had something to do with with the dancing  but most of them really didn't know just how involved he was.

And now for SOME reason, I'm now reminded of what happens at the 1:00 minute mark of this clip from The Birdcage...

(...actually, I think I know why)  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2