Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What happened to "All That Jazz"?

BongoBox

2 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Dick Shawn grew up in my area.  The name was Schulefand (and I knew two relations - one kind of goofy and one extremely stuck-up).

Interesting!

So, Lackawanna I'd guess?

(...and from what I've heard of the place, inappropriately named...word is there's PLENTY of "wanna" there!)

4 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

No, where I live is a northern suburb of Buffalo.  Not Lackawanna or Steelawana.

So, how FAR north of Buffalo?

If you go TOO far north, don't ya fall over Niagara Falls???

(...WAIT, did someone just say "Niagara Falls"???...slowly I turn...step by step...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

LOL 

Nice analogy I suppose, but then I have to ask how you feel about Robin Williams when HE toned it down, and which he did quite effectively in many a more serious role?

(...would you make this same analogy in his case?)

It took a while, but I finally remembered the source of the quote I wanted to use when talking about Dick Shawn: "What does it matter if it was an illusion? It worked! So don't tell me this is you life-size. I can't use you life-size. I need Alan Swanns as big as I can get them!" My Favorite Year (1982). That's really the only way Dick Shawn, and a lot of other entertainers, work for me: full blast, give it all you got, crank it up to eleven performances. That way, they're great. They just don't do anything in 'easy listening' mode.

You may want to stop reading now.

Really, it might be for the best.

What follows is heresy. 

Unrepentant sacrilege: 

I never liked Robin Williams. 

He always struck me as a Jonathan Winters wannabe without the edge.

There are five and ten-second clips of him being absolutely brilliant, but he could never sustain it for a full minute. The Birdcage (1996) is his only movie I can stand to watch, and that's mostly because of Nathan Lane. Even the clip you posted seems long for its content, and I can easily imagine Jonathan Winters, Richard Pryor, or half a dozen other comedians doing it more effectively.

17 hours ago, Capuchin said:

It took a while, but I finally remembered the source of the quote I wanted to use when talking about Dick Shawn: "What does it matter if it was an illusion? It worked! So don't tell me this is you life-size. I can't use you life-size. I need Alan Swanns as big as I can get them!" My Favorite Year (1982). That's really the only way Dick Shawn, and a lot of other entertainers, work for me: full blast, give it all you got, crank it up to eleven performances. That way, they're great. They just don't do anything in 'easy listening' mode.

You may want to stop reading now.

Really, it might be for the best.

What follows is heresy. 

Unrepentant sacrilege: 

I never liked Robin Williams. 

He always struck me as a Jonathan Winters wannabe without the edge.

There are five and ten-second clips of him being absolutely brilliant, but he could never sustain it for a full minute. The Birdcage (1996) is his only movie I can stand to watch, and that's mostly because of Nathan Lane. Even the clip you posted seems long for its content, and I can easily imagine Jonathan Winters, Richard Pryor, or half a dozen other comedians doing it more effectively.

Wow, never liked Robin Williams, ya say?!

Well then Cappy ol' boy, I've now got a movie quote for YOU then:

"You read about guys like that, but you never expect to meet one of 'em."--Dana Andrews in The Best Years of Our Lives

;)

Yeah, actually, I know more than a few people who never warmed to Robin and/or thought he was overrated.

(...but as you can probably tell, I always thought him very talented in both comedy and drama)

• Like 1

While Shawn was raised in Lackawanna, I live in Amherst/Williamsville (though not all my life).  Niagara Falls is located in a different county from Buffalo and suburbs.  Visited Niagara Falls and Canada numerous times (20 minutes will get you around Buffalo and surrounding areas).

I remember Dick Shawn as the nebbishy character in It's a Mad Mad... World.

On 9/5/2020 at 10:42 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

eta- THE COSTUME DESIGN CATEGOR in 1979 was pretty weak though- (BIRDS OF A FEATHER is aka LA CAGE AUX FOLLES)

Agatha and The Europeans actually did have nice costumes, but neither film really went anywhere at the box office, so.....  I'm pretty positive that it got the award due to the outfits with all the veins and arteries near the end.

I just pulled up the Technical Oscar lineups I trascribed here a few months back to see what was next in line after those 5

COSTUME DESIGN

Agatha

All That Jazz

The Black Hole [Disney's first PG . Costumes looked like standard sci-fi space suits]

Butch and Sundance: The Early Years

La Cage aux Folles

The Europeans

Hair [Hippie-Chic part I]

The Rose [Hippie-Chic Part II]

Star Trek: The Motion Picture [More typical space suits, but a good movie]

Sunburn [AKA the film that time forgot. Mystery-comedy with truly bizarre cast {Farrah Fawcett, Charles Grodin, Art Carney, Keenan Wynn, William Daniels, John Hillerman, Jack Kruschen, Alejandro Ray, Seymour Cassel, Eleanor Parker, and Joan Collins} has not been seen at all since a small scale video release in 1980]

On 9/5/2020 at 11:28 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

also also, was surprised to read on imdb that LANGE has only appeared in TWO BEST PICTURE NOMINEES, ALL THAT JAZZ and TOOTSIE.

it is a bit surprisng ,especially since she was up for acting 6 times. But then again Denzel Washington is now up to 8 acting nominations, and he too has only been in two best Picture nominees: A Soldier's Story and Fences,

• Like 1