Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did anyone else watch the documentary on TCM last night? Would like your reaction(s) to it.

28 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I feel like Tom Hanks in Big - I just don't get it.

"Big" became the first picture directed by a woman to earn more than $100 million at the domestic box office. That was a very big deal in addition to the fact that it solidified Penny Marshall's status as a major filmmaker.

The 1988 comedy/fantasy also provided Tom Hanks with the first of his six Academy Award nominations (he has won twice) and set him on the road to major stardom.

See the source image

• Like 2

You're either being very dry in an attempt at humorously replying, TOP, Or you're being uncharacteristically dense in perceiving her meaning.  But not having seen the documentary in question( couldn't catch it, sadly) I too would need more explanation form Chaya.  My guess however, would be that she would have preferred if a movie that involved the direction of one of the woman mentioned in the documentary were shown before the documentary aired. Not recalling TCM's entire schedule last night, I couldn't say what preceded it.  

Sepiatone

4 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

You're either being very dry in an attempt at humorously replying, TOP, Or you're being uncharacteristically dense in perceiving her meaning.  But not having seen the documentary in question( couldn't catch it, sadly) I too would need more explanation form Chaya.  My guess however, would be that she would have preferred if a movie that involved the direction of one of the woman mentioned in the documentary were shown before the documentary aired. Not recalling TCM's entire schedule last night, I couldn't say what preceded it.  

Sepiatone

I think we should be careful and not assume what a person's motive is for posting. I was not being humorous or dense.

Judith and I are friends. She mentioned BIG, as opposed to any other film on last night's line-up, so I am wondering if she has a problem with that film for a specific reason.

I am sure she'll be along to clarify...

• Like 1

I'll apologize,  but I DID mention the "dense" comment was preceded with "uncharacteristically?  ;) 

So I'll now have to assume she may not have known BIG was directed by PENNY MARSHALL, or that she did see the movie that preceded the doc, but the woman director of that movie (if indeed it was directed by a woman) wasn't mentioned in the documentary. 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I'll apologize,  but I DID mention the "dense" comment was preceded with "uncharacteristically?  ;) 

So I'll now have to assume she may not have known BIG was directed by PENNY MARSHALL, or that she did see the movie that preceded the doc, but the woman director of that movie (if indeed it was directed by a woman) wasn't mentioned in the documentary. 

Sepiatone

Or maybe she doesn't like BIG for another reason and feels they could have shown something else last night. We'll find out when she returns to the thread.

Jake mentioned BIG's box office take. But some people look past the financial results of a movie and judge it on other criteria. That is why we have hits at the box office that are not hits with critics.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

It didn't seem to me she doesn't like BIG.  But she made clear her dislike of the DOCUMENTARY.  Her BIG reference(I think) was used to interject the "I don't get it" line.

Sepiatone

Hmmm. Well, she will be along in a bit to clarify. :) 

I suppose I could see how some might have found the first episode of this documentary series boring, but I didn't.

I thought of it as a good introduction to basic Film School 101, and regardless what the gender of the filmmakers showcased within in might have been.

(...and I was ESPECIALLY glad to see that THIS TIME Mark Cousins got someone to narrate a film series of his who actually HAS a voice MADE for narration, as I thought Tilda Swinton did a nice job)

• Like 2

I saw parts of the documentary with some wonderful clips.  Wasn't that followed by MERRILY WE GO TO HELL (1932)?  That film was directed by DOROTHY ARZNER

I just looked at TCM schedule and it says 2 episodes of the doc followed by OLIVIA ... I guess MERRILY was on the night before... I missed it anyway. 

It is a drag that one can no longer go BACK on the monthly calendar - to see what was on a day or two ago...

• Like 1

I love the movie Big and it was a facetious comment regarding Tom Hanks (John Heard - died too young) mocks the comment (made about a toy).

Please don't be nasty to one another on the board/in posts.  We all have differences of opinion and, though I rarely make political comments, we have a man with a nasty mouth running the US (my country).

Maybe the later episodes of the documentary will be better.  It just didn't seem to go anywhere.  Now, the series about the cinematographers was extremely interesting. 

• Like 2

I know it's definitely an opinion that will not find many supporters, but even though Big was  truly charming, I preferred  Penny Marshall's directorial debut Jumpin' Jack Flash. That was an incredibly troubled production, but you would not guess from how well she made in work on screen.  And Whoopi Goldberg was really allowed to play both to her comic strengths and to more dramatic effect in quieter scenes.

• Like 2

I didn't watch it. Seemed like one of those mostly been there done that documentaries. It probably had

some good moments and was informative for people who knew nothing about the subject. I did like

Olivia. It did get a little confusing on the who is in love with who level, but that's a minor complaint.

Otherwise it was interesting. In addition to the sexual innuendo, it seemed like a fairly accurate picture

of a high-tone girl's boarding school in the 1890s or thereabouts. And that room that Olivia had, tres

chic, certainly a lot more cozy than the digs in Madchen in Uniform. 

One can imagine how much money TCM spent licensing on this PC documentary INSTEAD of watchable movies. But this fits into the scenario of TCM now becoming the PC champion of presenting projects pushed by Duvernay and Stewart. 

4 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

One can imagine how much money TCM spent licensing on this PC documentary INSTEAD of watchable movies. But this fits into the scenario of TCM now becoming the PC champion of presenting projects pushed by Duvernay and Stewart. 

Since TCM is basically a station, as it promotes to be......that showcases "classic" movies, and many of those ARE old movies, and old movies do present glimpses of film making history, it might seem only fair, since TCM (if memory serves) has shown in the past features and documentaries about film makers that were men, to also show documentaries about women who also directed movies, and also movies that were and are often featured on a "classic" movie channel.  Which then too, would of course be a more complete insight to the history of making "classic" movies.  How you figure PC fits into any of this needs explanation.

Sepiatone

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm not sure whether TCM is pushing projects by Duvernay and Stewart.  I disagree with some of what Stewart assumed were stars' motivations about wearing blackface (since they are long gone, we will never know - it might not have even been their decision); however, maybe TCM is trying to attract a new audience.  I have no idea how their demographics are.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

Oh no! TCM's getting too politically-correct! Cry me a river!

Sunday Silents have pushed Stewart's "cause" films since she took over.  No, not every week, but at least once a month since she took over.  I'm sick and tired of being lectured to about racism in silent films. And I sure as hell don't need TCM to be furthering this cause.  Yammering about it 100 years after the fact and trying to change history do not  help anyone or anything now.  I have a PhD and can make my own decisions, thank you!  Shut up and show films.

9 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

Not even people who love old classic movies want to live in the past.

2 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

Sunday Silents have pushed Stewart's "cause" films since she took over.  No, not every week, but at least once a month since she took over.  I'm sick and tired of being lectured to about racism in silent films. And I sure as hell don't need TCM to be furthering this cause.  Yammering about it 100 years after the fact and trying to change history* do* not  help anyone or anything now.  I have a PhD and can make my own decisions, thank you!  Shut up and show films.

Then the decision that you probably should make is to turn off that channel or turn off your TV set and not watch that program.

I only have a master's degree, but I feel like my comment was logical.

(BTW--" trying to change history *does* not help anyone".... )

Wow, and here all I have to MY scholastic credit is just a lowly little high school diploma from the Los Angeles Unified School District, dated 1970. And only a "B" average, at THAT!

And so, gee, I guess I better not say anything more about this than I already did earlier up there and how I appreciated watching the first episode of this new series. huh. And sure, even though in a manner of speaking one COULD maybe call it a "lecture" of sorts, I suppose.  

And 'cause of course, our friend UMO here must be MUCH smarter than me, huh! And so NATURALLY, and because he ALREADY knows it all,  he DOESN'T have to be "lectured" to!

(...LOL...no, make that ROFL...geeeez, "I have a PHD"...HOW freakin' supercilious is THAT, I ask?!!!...and now, LOL some MORE now...btw UMO, I'll be here waiting in the wings, so to speak, if you'd now care to reply to this post of mine here, "O' Mighty Don't Need To Be Lectured To"...and now, LOL some more AGAIN!!!)

On 9/2/2020 at 11:23 AM, chaya bat woof woof said:

So last night, my Mom and I watched the documentary about women filmmakers and found it monotonous, boring, etc.

Now, if they showed the movie first and then the documentary, my Mom and I probably would have been engaged.

I feel like Tom Hanks in Big - I just don't get it.

What was it's name?