Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did anyone else watch the documentary on TCM last night? Would like your reaction(s) to it.

Yes, I do understand those suffering from "Hyperpretentiousness", can quite often also suffer from that as a secondary malady, indeed.

(...ah, but then again, this would probably be something you already know too, considering you have a PhD)

• Haha 1

Okay, now where the hell were we in this thing? Oh yeah, Mark Cousins' latest documentary series.

Have I mentioned I thought it might be considered a nice introductory into filmmaking in general, and regardless its zeroing in on women directors?

Oh, I DID?!

Then never mind. I DO hate repeating myself, ya know.

Saaaay, then maybe I'll add something else I noticed while watching it. And that being that I recognized some of his (perhaps unnecessary) interlocutory road going camerawork as being from my neck of the woods here of Sedona and other points of northern Arizona.

• Like 1

Not knowing in what area one has a PhD, and the other has a Master's leaves me at a loss as to which of the two has more room to pontificate here.  ;) 

But I do sort of get one's POV.   I feel that many African-Americans don't realize that implying most old performers who did performances in blackface did so for racist motives, which assumes most if not all white people back then were racist is in itself a racist assumption.  And so therefore don't understand that it's all counterproductive since exists the old maxim:  "Imitation is the sincerest  form of flattery."  ;) 

Sepiatone

Yep, I also understand why some who already know so much (because of course, they have a PhD)  would find the use of the ignore function a handy feature to have.

I would think it would save a lot of wasted time when its perceived they're being "lectured" to.

(...uh-huh, kind'a like how some folks could maybe ALSO just not tune into TCM when they'll suspect they might find something much too "politically correct" among its fare and/or its hosts)

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Not knowing in what area one has a PhD, and the other has a Master's leaves me at a loss as to which of the two has more room to pontificate here.  ;) 

But I do sort of get one's POV.   I feel that many African-Americans don't realize that implying most old performers who did performances in blackface did so for racist motives, which assumes most if not all white people back then were racist is in itself a racist assumption.  And so therefore don't understand that it's all counterproductive since exists the old maxim:  "Imitation is the sincerest  form of flattery."  ;) 

Sepiatone

Eeh! Now what the hell do YOU know, Sepia?!!!

Don't YOU, like ME, just have a lowly little high school diploma to YOUR name TOO??? Although, NOT from  the Los Angeles Unified School District of course, but from the Detroit Public School System , right?!

And so, maybe the BOTH of us here should just stay out of this thing and so those more learned around here can raise the level of discourse in this thread?!  ;)

I'm sure Mr. PhD (or is that "Dr. PhD"?) would especially appreciate this, wouldn't ya Doc.

• Haha 1

I really didn't start this topic to be controversial.  I read some earlier comments about some major female directors not being included.  Documentaries, like non-fiction, can be riveting, boring, or just not worth the effort.  I watched a documentary about a year ago celebrating some milestone anniversary for Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.  It might have been French.  Both my Mom and I found that it looked at the novel myopically or that the filmmaker had some sort of agenda.  I really enjoyed watching some of the early silent film clips when they did the cinematographers.

What is the ignore function?  I do that with most of the comments about current US politics/our President.

When TCM has someone on The Essentials, why do they let people keep picking the same film.  I liked The Essentials when Robert Osborne was host because of the give and take between the host and the celebrity opposite him.  He wasn't afraid to disagree with their opinion and it seemed that he sometimes chose the film (I think I remember Drew Barrymore saying he introduced her to Auntie Mame).

9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Eeh! Now what the hell do YOU know, Sepia?!!!

Don't YOU, like ME, just have a lowly little high school diploma to YOUR name TOO??? Although, NOT from  the Los Angeles Unified School District of course, but from the Detroit Public School System , right?!

And so, maybe the BOTH of us here should just stay out of this thing and so those more learned around here can raise the level of discourse in this thread?!  ;)

I'm sure Mr. PhD (or is that "Dr. PhD"?) would especially appreciate this, wouldn't ya Doc.

Sorry DARG.  Never went to school in Detroit, but in the Southern Detroit suburb of LINCOLN PARK, MI.,  where four of The MC5 also went to school!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Jacqueline Stewart also has a PhD.  I would imagine that someone with her credentials would have a good idea of what she's talking about.

But what do I know? I only have a B.S. and one Minor degree. 

-Speedracer5 M.D., A.D., D.D.S., F.L.D., F-F-F-and-F

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
58 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I really didn't start this topic to be controversial.  I read some earlier comments about some major female directors not being included.  Documentaries, like non-fiction, can be riveting, boring, or just not worth the effort.  I watched a documentary about a year ago celebrating some milestone anniversary for Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.  It might have been French.  Both my Mom and I found that it looked at the novel myopically or that the filmmaker had some sort of agenda.  I really enjoyed watching some of the early silent film clips when they did the cinematographers.

Well Chaya, considering the topic of your thread here is about the subject matter of Mr. Cousin' documentary, a subject which encompasses the idea of "Feminism", and which in itself can for some reason still be a "controversial" topic, I now pretty much have to ask you, "What did you expect?" 

Look, I KNEW anyway that someone would come on your thread here and tell us a series focusing on the inequities that professional women have suffered in the past would most likely bring out some dissenters who would object to its premise on the grounds of being "lectured to".

Yep, but I just didn't expect someone to wave their academic credentials around in our face in order for them  to press and fortify their objections to this, THAT'S all!

(...and so of course, the very REASON I began admittedly mocking a certain poster in it)

What is the ignore function?  I do that with most of the comments about current US politics/our President.

Yes, the "ignore function" IS very similar to how we use our mute button on our television remotes, and especially during election years just as this one, and when one of those insipid political ads come on which almost always insult our collective intelligence.

When TCM has someone on The Essentials, why do they let people keep picking the same film.  I liked The Essentials when Robert Osborne was host because of the give and take between the host and the celebrity opposite him.  He wasn't afraid to disagree with their opinion and it seemed that he sometimes chose the film (I think I remember Drew Barrymore saying he introduced her to Auntie Mame).

Ya know, the ONLY past Essentials co-host that I can remember being a party to some disagreements with Bob Osborne in regard to any particular films, would be Alec Baldwin. I don't recall this happening much at all with any other Essentials co-host which either Bob or Ben have ever had.

(...and thus the reason I've always thought Baldwin was the best co-host this series ever had, as Alec is never afraid to speak his mind in the most honest terms)

I've been looking into this and guess who donates millions to TCM? George Soros. That's all

you need to know. 

I would guess that about 3% of white folks were racist back in the 1930s and 1940s. :)

2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I've been looking into this and guess who donates millions to TCM? George Soros. That's all

you need to know. 

I would guess that about 3% of white folks were racist back in the 1930s and 1940s. :)

Yeah well, so what's YOUR level of academic achievement, IF I might be so bold as to ask here, Vautrin ol' boy???!!!

LOL

;)

All I'm saying is that TCM should just SHOW THE FILM. They've gotten too reliant on hosts who tell us what we're about to see and how we should think about it ... based on their own agendas.

Osborne's great talent was that he never lectured. He gave details about the film without getting political.

I only saw a little snippit and it seemed a bit clinical. How about just embrace appreciation of film and female directors without sounding distanced. (Plus, Tank Girl was a weird pick to highlight. United Artists had such little faith in it in 1995 that they didn't even screen it in an advance for movie critics, a scarlet letter of shame for a major studio film at the time)

1 hour ago, UMO1982 said:

All I'm saying is that TCM should just SHOW THE FILM. They've gotten too reliant on hosts who tell us what we're about to see and how we should think about it ... based on their own agendas.

Osborne's great talent was that he never lectured. He gave details about the film without getting political.

It's not the case that Osborne never addressed this on the air.  Here's an old YouTube video where Osborne is talking with WNYC about TCM's Race & Hollywood series from June 2008, concentrating on Asian images in Hollywood films.  This discussion about race, ethnicity and minority images in film is not exactly new territory for TCM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzx4TaCbP7g

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

It's not the case that Osborne never addressed this on the air.  Here's an old YouTube video where Osborne is talking with WNYC about TCM's Race & Hollywood series from June 2008, concentrating on Asian images in Hollywood films.  This discussion about race, ethnicity and minority images in film is not exactly new territory for TCM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzx4TaCbP7g

I was talking about his film intros. He may have mentioned race and such but that's not lecturing.  Nor was I talking about other "film series" where the entire point of the series is to lecture about Hollywood's treatment of FILL IN THE BLANK.  Go back and ready my comment. I said HE NEVER LECTURED. I didn't say it was never mentioned.

• Thanks 1
On 9/3/2020 at 2:35 PM, UMO1982 said:

Sunday Silents have pushed Stewart's "cause" films since she took over.  No, not every week, but at least once a month since she took over.  I'm sick and tired of being lectured to about racism in silent films. And I sure as hell don't need TCM to be furthering this cause.  Yammering about it 100 years after the fact and trying to change history do not  help anyone or anything now.  I have a PhD and can make my own decisions, thank you!  Shut up and show films.

I couldn’t agree more! My absolute favorite part of the week for 15 years has been Silent Sunday Night. It was always a great way to start off the week but now it should just be called Agenda Sunday Night. I don’t care for the host or her comments. It seems like Oscar Micheaux is shoved down my throat every month. Just my opinion, I don’t enjoy it as much anymore. Luckily, I have 15 years of intros and films on DVD that I’ve recorded pre-Stewart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, what I'm seeing here is that Mark Cousins' latest documentary (and which allow me to REMIND all you here IS what Chaya's thread here is REALLY about) is being used as a substitute "whipping boy" (or maybe better said,  "whipping girl" in this case) for some to express their personal distaste for any and all  examinations (or "lectures" if you want) which have ever been broadcast on TCM into past social injustices that have occurred, and specifically in regard to said past social injustices which have occurred (and not "MIGHT" have occurred) within the realm and industry of filmmaking throughout the past century.

Is THAT about it?

Well then IF it is, then perhaps those inclined to do so in this thing, MIGHT consider starting ANOTHER thread in which they can continue on with this endeavor, AND whether or NOT they might have a freakin' PhD to their credit!

(...trust me, I'll most likely stay away from THAT one, and because I'm ALSO already sick and tired  of hearing all the whining coming for THAT side of this issue TOO!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Dargo said:

So, what I'm seeing here is that Mark Cousins' latest documentary (and which allow me to REMIND all you here IS what Chaya's thread here is REALLY about) is being used as a substitute "whipping boy" (or maybe better said,  "whipping girl" in this case) for some to express their personal distaste for any and all  examinations (or "lectures" if you want) which have ever been broadcast on TCM into past social injustices that have occurred, and specifically in regard to said past social injustices which have occurred (and not "MIGHT" have occurred) within the realm and industry of filmmaking throughout the past century.

Is THAT about it?

Well then IF it is, then perhaps those inclined to do so in this thing, MIGHT consider starting ANOTHER thread in which they can continue on with this endeavor, AND whether or NOT they might have a freakin' PhD to their credit!

(...trust me, I'll most likely stay away from THAT one, and because I'm ALSO already sick and tired  of hearing all the whining coming for THAT side of this issue TOO!)

Yep.  And too, perhaps start their own classic movie channel!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
1 minute ago, UMO1982 said:

Ozymandias Melancholia redux

Just keep saying to yourself, "Remember, nothing lasts forever", and everything will be just fine eventually, UMO.