Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

what's the worst movie of all-time?

Though not even a bad movie, but lower & not a truly above the grade production-(the '80's are my fav decade, but had some of other actual worse flix ever made) I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE comes to mind & EBERT & SISKEL couldn't even sum, up the words in their disgust for this film, think it's 1982

18 hours ago, Swithin said:

I think it's a cliche to resort to selecting horror films in answer to the question posed by the OP.  Plan 9 is not a bad film; it's simply not slick, not pretentious, and practices the art and technique of the film in an elemental, imaginative way, with a minuscule budget.

My choice for the worst film of all time is Brazil (1985), a pile of pretentious crap masking as some kind of social commentary. 

Even if Brazil was not one of my favorite films, which in fact it is, it would be hard to deny that it is a consistently imaginative and complex movie, rich with allusion and incident.  Even if one thought it was flawed, it is clearly more successful in achieving its goals than Dune, either Blade Runner movie, Britannia Hospital, Zardoz, Soylent Green, Tommy, The Devils, Logan's Run, Gattaca, THX 1138, V for Vendetta, not to mention a whole host of unnecessary franchise sequels. 

• Thanks 1
On 9/2/2020 at 11:17 PM, Rudy's Girl said:

I haven't seen it, but my mom has. She says It Came from Outer Space is, and I quote, God-awful.

Itcamefromouterspace.jpg

The lousy movies in the old days don't hold a candle to the awful one's in our era, they were not disgusting or gory,etc

• Like 1

I've always thought ANY movie in which the monster in it is just an extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY slow moving carpet remnant, but YET somehow is still fast enough catch and then consume what appears to be very able-bodied young adults, has got to AT LEAST be a (dis)honorable mention on ANY list of The Worst Movies Ever Made.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present scenes from 1964's The Creeping Terror...

2.gif

creepingterrorshoes.jpg

On 9/3/2020 at 12:11 PM, LsDoorMat said:

I would rather stare at a bison painted on a cave wall, for two hours, than ever have to watch "50 shades of Grey" again. 

And no doubt you'd be right to, though, from what I've heard, better off watching the films than having to go through several hundred pages of the (I'm told) even worse books. I can't speak to either of those, having neither read nor seen them.  To my understanding, with attractive leads, exotic locales, and stylish clothes, the films at least have a certain sweep and glamour to them that is lacking in the crude eroticism of the books.

As for paleolithic art, I find it quite captivating...but I don't know that I'd care to stare at an individual image for two hours straight.😉

• Like 1
On 9/4/2020 at 3:20 AM, skimpole said:

Even if Brazil was not one of my favorite films, which in fact it is, it would be hard to deny that it is a consistently imaginative and complex movie, rich with allusion and incident.  Even if one thought it was flawed, it is clearly more successful in achieving its goals than Dune, either Blade Runner movie, Britannia Hospital, Zardoz, Soylent Green, Tommy, The Devils, Logan's Run, Gattaca, THX 1138, V for Vendetta, not to mention a whole host of unnecessary franchise sequels. 

I don't think those other movies you mention (i.e. those I have seen) have the level of pretentiousness of Brazil. I actually think Terry Gilliam is a lousy filmmaker and should have stuck to making animations for Monty Python. I think his Time Bandits is one of very few movies that I walked out on. I couldn't walk out on Brazil, which I saw at the Kensington Odeon in London, because I had a dinner engagement in the neighborhood right after the ending time, and it was raining. The other disadvantage to seeing it early in its run in London was that I saw a particularly long version. Sometimes, one needs to be protected from a "director's cut!"

• Like 1
On 9/3/2020 at 8:26 PM, hamradio said:

This stupid thing. Alternative title "Ohhh I Scared Myself". :wacko:

51nRjakqfGL._AC_.jpg

I have to confess I liked this film. It was different and took chances. The sequel got "Hollywoodized" and was just awful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Swithin said:

The other disadvantage to seeing it early in its run in London was that I saw a particularly long version. Sometimes, one needs to be protected from a "director's cut!"

I couldn't agree more.  I'm perhaps in a small camp of film nerds who loathe "director's cuts," like the plague. Unless there is some mitigating incentive, such as the standard release was censored, dubbed from the original language, badly recut or "dumbed down" for audiences, or there was valuable lost footage that was later restored; then when given the choice between a theatrical release or a director's cut and/or expanded special edition, I generally prefer the former. They give Oscars for best editing for a reason.  

Directors are creatures of ego, and a brief look at the deleted scenes of any James Cameron epic are enough to convince me that sometimes less is indeed more.

Still, nice to have a DVD with both options, I suppose.

• Like 1

I LOVED A WOMAN (1933) may or may not be the all-time worst film, but it has two...distinctions? 1) It features a gawd-awful performance from Edward G. Robinson (the closing scene is exceptionally rancid). 2) Leonard Maltin rated it as a "BOMB," with which I agree.

On 9/3/2020 at 7:21 PM, spence said:

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE is 1978.  I hate that movie too. 

The WORST movie ever made is "IT'S ALIVE" (1969)  Directed by LARRY BUCHANAN (the quotes are part of the title) made for TV, starring TOMMY KIRK, it's so bad, pointless, and boring that it's no fun at all. 

Here's the whole damned thing :