Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHO REALLY DESERVED THE NEXT AFI AWARD?

There are some heavyweights that were never awarded the American Film Institute (AFI) (est: 1967-) such as>

(*denotes an OSCAR winner)

*CHAPLIN

CARY GRANT

*JOHN WAYNE

HAWKS

But who do you think  should be the next recipient

My own vote goes to>*ROBERT DUVALL & or *ANTHONY HOPKINS

Just now, spence said:

There are some heavyweights that were never awarded the American Film Institute (AFI) (est: 1967-) such as>

(*denotes an OSCAR winner)

*CHAPLIN

CARY GRANT

*JOHN WAYNE

HAWKS

But who do you think  should be the next recipient

My own vote goes to>*ROBERT DUVALL & or *ANTHONY HOPKINS

Almost forgot for those that don't know this AFI fact

Recipient unlike the OSCAR must accept in person hence no>

GARBO, *BRANDO, *KATE HEPBURN,etc

George Clooney did not deserve it the time he received it. It also might be controversial but Sean Connery really didn’t deserve it either. I enjoyed him in The Untouchables but if you take James Bond out of the mix what else is there that he has done? The actor most deserving of the AFI award is Donald Sutherland. I cannot believe I live in a world that celebrates the acting accomplishments of George Clooney before those of Donald Sutherland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

Julie Andrews is the 2020 recipient but the show has been postponed. She deserves it.

As I’ve stated more than once, it’s a fund raiser. The Board of Trustees award to the person who they think might help them achieve their goals. 

Posponed until when?

18 hours ago, vidorisking said:

George Clooney did not deserve it the time he received it. It also might be controversial but Sean Connery really didn’t deserve it either. I enjoyed him in The Untouchables but if you take James Bond out of the mix what else is there that he has done? The actor most deserving of the AFI award is Donald Sutherland. I cannot believe I live in a world that celebrates the acting accomplishments of George Clooney before those of Donald Sutherland.

The are running out of recipients is why some get it thesedays

18 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

Julie Andrews is the 2020 recipient but the show has been postponed. She deserves it.

As I’ve stated more than once, it’s a fund raiser. The Board of Trustees award to the person who they think might help them achieve their goals. 

Many of these "honors" have become this way. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for example. The award whomever will get them attention and ratings.

Fundraiser is a good name for it.

• Like 1

I also think if AFI were really bold they should honor Jean Paul Belmondo, Godard and/or Catherine Deneuve before time runs out. I understand it is the American Film Institute but prior honorees have been foreign born Hitchcock, Lean, Wilder, etc..

On 9/4/2020 at 9:30 AM, Oneeyeopen said:

I agree with Vidorisking, George Clooney did not deserve that award.

My choices are Gene Hackman, Spike Lee, Sylvester Stallone, Angela Lansbury, Jodie Foster, Kevin Costner and Jeff Bridges. 

only agree with you on Gene Hackman, Sylvester Stallone and Angela Lansbury.

I've heard Hackman's just an old grumpy curmudgeon living the life of a recluse in his Santa Fe NM mansion now days.

And so I doubt HE'D show up.

(...still though, I'd like to see the ol' boy be honored with this thing...he's probably my favorite actor of the '70s-'90s)

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Dargo said:

I've heard Hackman's just an old grumpy curmudgeon living the life of a recluse in his Santa Fe NM mansion now days.

And so I doubt HE'D show up.

(...still though, I'd like to see the ol' boy be honored with this thing...he's probably my favorite actor of the '70s-'90s)

Apropos of nothing, I was watching that Guy Fieri show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and he was at some diner in Santa Fe. Hackman was sitting there at the counter waiting on his take out order. Guy talked to him briefly and he was courteous. So maybe not as curmudgeonly as you think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

Apropos of nothing, I was watching that Guy Fieri show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and he was at some diner in Santa Fe. Hackman was sitting there at the counter waiting on his take out order. Guy talked to him briefly and he was courteous. So maybe not as curmudgeonly as you think. 

That was Harry's Roadhouse in Santa Fe. I used to eat there all the time.

• Like 1

Gene Hackman has a great body of work and they should work to honor.  Bonnie and Clyde, Mississippi Burning, Unforgiven, The Poseidon Adventure, The Firm, The French Connection 1 & 2, Enemy of the State, The Conversation,  Crimson Tide, Lex Luther in Superman,  No Way Out,  The Birdcage, Class Action just to name a dozen plus two.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Oneeyeopen said:

Gene Hackman has a great body of work and they should work to honor.  Bonnie and Clyde, Mississippi Burning, Unforgiven, The Poseidon Adventure, The Firm, The French Connection 1 & 2, Enemy of the State, The Conversation,  Crimson Tide, Lex Luther in Superman,  No Way Out,  The Birdcage, Class Action just to name a dozen plus two.

said, along withNICOLSON & PENN that he retired from the silver screen

• Like 1