Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHO REALLY DESERVED THE NEXT AFI AWARD?

spence

On 9/4/2020 at 6:29 PM, GGGGerald said:

Many of these "honors" have become this way. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for example. The award whomever will get them attention and ratings.

Fundraiser is a good name for it.

excellent pt about the ratings

• Like 1

I think Duvall is overdue.  His role in To Kill a Mockingbird is Iconic.  I also like Hackman.  It is like the Kennedy Center Honors - skipped a generation or two for some, in my opinion, unworthy choices.  (Kennedy Center should also "buy" American.)

Frankly, I get confused with who has and hasn't received lifetime achievement awards.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 4:45 PM, chaya bat woof woof said:

I think Duvall is overdue.  His role in To Kill a Mockingbird is Iconic.  I also like Hackman.  It is like the Kennedy Center Honors - skipped a generation or two for some, in my opinion, unworthy choices.  (Kennedy Center should also "buy" American.)

Frankly, I get confused with who has and hasn't received lifetime achievement awards.

Duvall given his understated style has somewhat always been taken for granted

• Like 1

Don't agree with Redgrave (she's British and danced with Arafat).  Also not a Clooney fan (anymore).  The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame started inducting (and continues to induct) people not in that genre (or had no effect on the genre).  At last year's Kennedy Center Honors, the most time was given to Linda R. (whose medical condition no longer allows to be on the stage).  I like her but Michael Tilson Thomas was given short shrift.  

The honorary Oscars are no longer televised to allow for meaningless filler (as far as I'm concerned - same with other award shows).

Not knowing who ALL the honorees were I'd fear mentioning someone who's already been given the honor.  Of the ones mentioned here I'd have no problem with HACKMAN and DUVALL   And his role in THE GREAT SANTINI outshines most of his remaining excellent filmography.  

Sepiatone

• Like 1