Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Trying to Find the Name of A Movie!

Forgive me if this seems a bit vague, but there was a film that was on I believe last month that caught my attention. I was only able to catch bits of it because I had to prepare for work but I was hoping that someone could figure it out for me.

Basically the film was about a man a woman who are having an affair with each other. I believe it took place in either late 1800s or early 1900s NYC. They loved each other but couldn’t be together because he was married, so they have clandestine meetings at her apartment and this continues for many years until the man dies.

I’m sure it was based off of a novel, but that’s pretty much all I’ve got.

There are no shortage of movies with that story line, but one of my favorites is Forbidden (1932) with Barbara Stanwyck and Adolphe Menjou:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/28115/Forbidden/

Click on the READ THE FULL SYNOPSIS link.

The remake with Susan Hayward was updated to the post-World War II era. It's pretty soapy, but good fun. Vera Miles is priceless as the villainous, alcoholic wife to Susan Hayward's long-suffering "other woman."

I've also seen the other remake with Margaret Sullavan, which was set in the earlier era and I would imagine is closer to the book. Perhaps not as close, however, as the pre-code original with Irene Dunne that I regret to say I haven't seen.

And they were indeed based on a novel of the same title by Fannie Hurst, who will also be known to classics fans as the author of Imitation of Life.

• Like 1