Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Glad to see the lineup of concert movies. . . .

Liked T. A. M. I. (1964).  Was pleasantly surprised by Gerry and the Pacemakers and Lesley Gore ("You don't own me. . .").  Chuck Berry a gas as always.  Beach Boys and Supremes a surprising letdown.  The Stones--yeah, The Stones. . . .But James Brown.  Man, a knockout! 

But, oh the sound!  Ugh!  One long scream from the audience.

But.  The Main Event:  Let the Good Times Roll (1973).  One of the best Rocknroll concert movies.  What a lineup!  Little Richard, Chubby Checker, Fats Domino.  And the best:  Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley.  The two guys who invented Rock and Roll.  And everyone else made billions off of their genius.  Who was a hotter guitarist than Bo Diddley?

Looking forward to The Kids Are Alright (1979).  And the Monterey Pop-related movies (Woodstock--hah!). 

Oh yeah.  And the Divine One.

• Like 3

Well, in Hibi's defense here slayton, I think she once told me that she had indeed been at Max Yasgur's farm that one eventful summer of '69, but after somebody slipped her that brown acid, it has taken much of the joy of attending ANY rock concert from her since then.

(...of course then again, I suppose I could be confusing her with something MissW or maybe lavender once told me, but at this point and because I've now been sittin' with this damn laptop and crackin' wise at this website for over 14 freakin' hours today, I'm really not sure anymore!)

I think the concert series is a fresh idea from TCM for Labor Day weekend. I hope they keep these films in rotation, too. Perhaps in the Underground time slot would be a good place.

I'm not really a Bette Midler fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed DIVINE MADNESS on Friday night. I like her much better as a singer than I do an actress.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I think the concert series is a fresh idea from TCM for Labor Day weekend. I hope they keep these films in rotation, too. Perhaps in the Underground time slot would be a good place.

I find it kind of heartbreaking that we can only attend concerts broadcast on TV.  There's not even a State Fair this year, where I've seen such notables as Sonny & Cher, Blondie, Debbie Reynolds, The Beach Boys, etc.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I find it kind of heartbreaking that we can only attend concerts broadcast on TV.  There's not even a State Fair this year, where I've seen such notables as Sonny & Cher, Blondie, Debbie Reynolds, The Beach Boys, etc.

Using a like emoji for this sad state of events didn't seem right, but I thought sad face might imply I disapproved of this message. So, I will just quote and say I have empathy for this statement.

• Thanks 1

I really enjoyed the concert movies.  I'm sorry that I missed the T.A.M.I. one, hopefully it's On Demand somewhere or on DVD so I could hopefully borrow it from the library.  I saw the tail end of the "Let the Good Times Roll."  Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley were amazing! We also watched the 1970 Elvis concert.  It's so sad that he'd be dead in 7 short years from excessive drug use.

I'm looking forward to the Who concert and Scorsese's Rolling Stones film.  I also saw some Hendrix and Otis Redding on the schedule which I'm also excited about.

I think that this was a really great idea on TCM's part and I'm looking forward to some great "live" music.  Most of my favorite musicians are dead, so this is really the only chance I'd have to see them perform.

• Like 1

Woohoo! Update! I found that the T.A.M.I show is on Watch TCM.  The con to that is that I'll have to watch it on my computer, but I could try to figure out how to cast the image to the TV or I could hook my computer to the TV via HDMI. 

I also saw that my library system has the blu-ray of this concert.  It's out, but due on 9/16.  I put it on hold, but we'll see if I manage to get it or not.  With COVID, the library isn't really pursuing due dates too heavily.

12 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Liked T. A. M. I. (1964).  Was pleasantly surprised by Gerry and the Pacemakers and Lesley Gore ("You don't own me. . .").  Chuck Berry a gas as always.  Beach Boys and Supremes a surprising letdown.  The Stones--yeah, The Stones. . . .But James Brown.  Man, a knockout! 

But, oh the sound!  Ugh!  One long scream from the audience.

But.  The Main Event:  Let the Good Times Roll (1973).  One of the best Rocknroll concert movies.  What a lineup!  Little Richard, Chubby Checker, Fats Domino.  And the best:  Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley.  The two guys who invented Rock and Roll.  And everyone else made billions off of their genius.  Who was a hotter guitarist than Bo Diddley?

Looking forward to The Kids Are Alright (1979).  And the Monterey Pop-related movies (Woodstock--hah!). 

Oh yeah.  And the Divine One.

Well, can't agree with all that.  The T.A.M.I. show film was alright.  Took me back quite a bit.  Was funny how Ben, in his intro, mentioned that Mick Jagger was supposedly afraid to go onstage after James Brown tore it up.  But apparently, Mick wasn't too afraid or nervous about it to do that pi$$ poor imitation of Brown's move!s! :rolleyes:

I thought LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL was a bit of a drag.  Not enough Chuck OR Little Richard actually performing and not ripping off his clothes and throwing shreds out to the somewhat unruly crowd.   And given more footage, you'd have noticed Chuck was a MUCH "hotter" guitarist than Bo Diddley.   I didn't stick around for the end.  

12 hours ago, Hibi said:

2 BIG THUMBS DOWN!

4 nights and all day Labor Day of concert movies???? I WONT BE WATCHING! TCM's programming is really going down the tubes.

Oh, YEAH?  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

some movies they've never shown before would also be a good idea.

:)

James Brown was so great. Best act last night. Loved seeing Leslie Gore . Could have done without the Barbarians, that was a waste. It was fun watching. The Beach Boys and The Supremes and Smokey and The Stones., Brought me back to when I was a young teen and they were all so young.

I thought the guitar player took care of the hooks. When I first saw the title Divine Madness I thought it

was a documentary about John Waters' Divine.

I'll probably watch the Zeppelin flick. I saw it when it first came out. The concert footage is pretty good,

but those god awful individual fantasy sequences. Yuck. They should have put all of them at the end so

one could walk out of the movie twenty-five minutes earlier. Whole Lotta Lousy.

I only watched the TAMI show but I got a big kick out of it. I actually saw this in the theater in 1964. I too thought James Brown was the highlight of the film. I didn’t think The Beach Boys were bad. They were probably my favorite part besides James & the Stones. But Mike Love looked 50 years old & he was 23. Lol I could have done without the dancing. It was a distraction. 

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

I thought the guitar player took care of the hooks. When I first saw the title Divine Madness I thought it

was a documentary about John Waters' Divine.

I'll probably watch the Zeppelin flick. I saw it when it first came out. The concert footage is pretty good,

but those god awful individual fantasy sequences. Yuck. They should have put all of them at the end so

one could walk out of the movie twenty-five minutes earlier. Whole Lotta Lousy.

LOL! No, not that DIVINE....

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL! No, not that DIVINE....

Nope. When I first saw the title Divine Madness I figured it was about Divine. He was a little....eccentric. Then I

read the description. That she was called The Divine Miss M was way back in the recesses of my mind.

20 hours ago, Hibi said:

2 BIG THUMBS DOWN!

4 nights and all day Labor Day of concert movies???? I WONT BE WATCHING! TCM's programming is really going down the tubes.

Yep.  What a waste of time for a classic movie channel.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Nope. When I first saw the title Divine Madness I figured it was about Divine. He was a little....eccentric.

Anything with "Divine" in the title sounds like it should be about Drag Queens! 😄

21 hours ago, Hibi said:

2 BIG THUMBS DOWN!

54 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Yep.  What a waste of time for a classic movie channel.  

I'm sensing deeper issues here.  Childhood rock trauma no doubt.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Anything with "Divine" in the title sounds like it should be about Drag Queens! 😄

Very well could be. Some of my local PBS stations are showing similar music shows

over the weekend. Thank goodness TCM doesn't have those darn pledge breaks.

• Like 1