Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Glad to see the lineup of concert movies. . . .

The Kids Are Alright (1979) was . . .alright.  I mean Alright!  Great overview of The Who while still having exciting concert footage.  And if you were attentive, toward the beginning you could catch Pete Townshend recounting the origins of the rock opera.

OK, this is a bit off track here, but----

I sometimes like to watch that "Pawn Stars" show.  Well, on one show some guy walked in with an old DANELECTRO bass guitar he claimed once belonged to JOHN ENTWISTLE.  He had no other proof except a sketchy letter claiming it was once John's.  Even the pawn shop's "expert", Jesse from Cow town music couldn't say for sure.  They finally told the guy that if he could find proof, such as a photo of John playing it on stage or something they'd consider making a deal.  I was reminded of this all when I saw the early in the movie snippet from their appearance on (what was said to be) the last "Shindig" show.  You'll see that Danelectro bass, played by John, right off!   So....  there WAS proof!

Need a better look?

Sepiatone

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

OK, this is a bit off track here, but----

I sometimes like to watch that "Pawn Stars" show.  Well, on one show some guy walked in with an old DANELECTRO bass guitar he claimed once belonged to JOHN ENTWISTLE.  He had no other proof except a sketchy letter claiming it was once John's.  Even the pawn shop's "expert", Jesse from Cow town music couldn't say for sure.  They finally told the guy that if he could find proof, such as a photo of John playing it on stage or something they'd consider making a deal.  I was reminded of this all when I saw the early in the movie snippet from their appearance on (what was said to be) the last "Shindig" show.  You'll see that Danelectro bass, played by John, right off!   So....  there WAS proof!

Need a better look?

Sepiatone

I'm assuming that the DANELECTRO's strings (por Jairo Moreno) are not the thin ones which John Entwistle coveted for his studio milestone electric bass solo only to abandon because they kept snapping.....

• Thanks 1

JOHN'S Danelectro strings may have been the thinner ones he preferred, but the clip of the guitar I posted which was only to provide a clearer picture of what the instrument looked like( which isn't really so clear on the "Shindig" clip  ;) )

And also bear in mind that by 1965 and the recording and release of "My Generation" John had moved on from that Danelectro bass to using a FENDER JAZZ BASS.  

Sepiatone

23 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

JOHN'S Danelectro strings may have been the thinner ones he preferred, but the clip of the guitar I posted which was only to provide a clearer picture of what the instrument looked like( which isn't really so clear on the "Shindig" clip  ;) )

And also bear in mind that by 1965 and the recording and release of "My Generation" John had moved on from that Danelectro bass to using a FENDER JAZZ BASS.  

Sepiatone

If I'm not mistaken, DANELECTRO instruments are generally regarded as lower end quality but, like with the story of John Entwistle's ill-fated intention, sought for their snazzy sounds.

4 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Re: "If I'm not mistaken, DANELECTRO instruments are generally regarded as lower end quality but, like with the story of John Entwistle's ill-fated intention, sought for their snazzy sounds."

...oh, and their looks, too!

• Thanks 1

My guess is that a 19-20 year old Entwistle might have been taken with the instrument's affordable price and "cool" looking design. At least for the times.  

Remember, CAN'T EXPLAIN was the band's first single and most bands back then, without much financial success before getting a recording deal made those first discs with what they owned at the time.

Sepiatone

2 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

My guess is that a 19-20 year old Entwistle might have been taken with the instrument's affordable price and "cool" looking design. At least for the times.  

Remember, CAN'T EXPLAIN was the band's first single and most bands back then, without much financial success before getting a recording deal made those first discs with what they owned at the time.

Sepiatone

Coincidentally, I was just preparing the following for you, Sepiatone...

I noticed your given location: Michigan seems like it was an early breakthrough market for the WHO in the United States. 

In the case of "I Can't Explain", specifically Flint, MI, if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I couldn't say.... as I lived(and still do) in the Metro Detroit area, but there's probably in this case, not much difference between being in Detroit at the time or Flint.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Dave "Before I Get Old" Marsh first heard "I Can't Explain" in Waterford, MI, and went on to become one of the leading - if not the - critic on the WHO. 

12 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Coincidentally, I was just preparing the following for you, Sepiatone...

I noticed your given location: Michigan seems like it was an early breakthrough market for the WHO in the United States. 

In the case of "I Can't Explain", specifically Flint, MI, if I'm not mistaken.

Seeing that 45 label brings back memories of the 45 and LP labels.  I always liked Decca's, and the Capitol 45 orange and yellow swirl.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I'm sensing deeper issues here.  Childhood rock trauma no doubt.

Hardly! I've been to my share of concerts over the years. Just dont want to watch 4 days worth of them....

Wasn't expecting to catch all of The Song Remains the Same (1976), but ended up hanging around for the whole thing.  For all it's hard rock image, Led Zeppelin's stage presence is--how to describe it?--almost sedate, introspective, even meditative.  The certainly don't have the exuberance, the frenetic, even frenzied energy of The Who, bordering on anarchy.  Surprised and pleased to hear some of their lesser known songs in addition to the standard hits.  The interludes were a waste of time.  At least they didn't stop the music.

Am I right in thinking Ben is a fan?

I've been watching a few too... JAMES BROWN had me howling in THE T.A.M.I. SHOW ... I've got HENDRIX at Monterey now... I had THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME earlier tonight!  I love it! 

I watched THE DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION last night and I enjoyed it!  Part 2 came on too late. 

• Like 1

I’m excited! I found The T.A.M.I Show On Demand. It was fantastic. I loved Lesley Gore and James Brown. I wish Chuck Berry had had a longer set. 

Now I found Let the Good Times Roll on You Tube which I didn’t even know existed before Friday night. I saw the end, but now I’m watching the whole thing. Love it! 

I recorded The Who, Shine the Light about the Stones, and the other Elvis movie. Planning on recording Monterey Pop and Woodstock tomorrow. 

Thank you TCM!

18 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Now I found Let the Good Times Roll on You Tube which I didn’t even know existed before Friday night. I saw the end, but now I’m watching the whole thing. Love it! 

If you like that, there's another movie focusing on Chuck Berry, called Chuck Berry Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll (1987).  It's on YouTube, but you have to (ulp!) pay for it.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, NoShear said:

Dave "Before I Get Old" Marsh first heard "I Can't Explain" in Waterford, MI, and went on to become one of the leading - if not the - critic on the WHO. 

I don't know about that, but I am familiar with Marsh and his excellent work on the best rock'n'roll magazine, CREEM!  ;) 

9 hours ago, slaytonf said:

If you like that, there's another movie focusing on Chuck Berry, called Chuck Berry Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll (1987).  It's on YouTube, but you have to (ulp!) pay for it.

I taped it off HBO when they had one of their promotional "free weekends".  Am considering sending for a DVD as the tape is getting old and sketchy.   Surprised TCM passed up showing it.  As for last night

THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME showed a lot of footage of a Zeppelin concert that seemed kind of boring to me.  At one point, during "Dazed And Confused" I dozed off only to stir awake after I don't know how long to discover I both didn't know what tune they were playing and didn't really seem to care.  Turned out, it was STILL 'Dazed And Confused"!  :o

And it was clear that all the other "fantasy" film footage( guys in 18th century dress and grotesque face masks riding horses for no apparent reason) is what gave all those Mtv video makers their ideas for what they called "rock" videos. :rolleyes:  Not all that interesting to me, and I've long been a fan of Led Zeppelin.  And also, having a period of hero worship of Jimi Hendrix( and probably still so) I enjoyed the Jimi Hendrix documentary that followed. I'd seen it before, but many moons ago.  Was nice seeing it again.   And looking forward too, of viewing DON'T LOOK BACK, the BOB DYLAN doc.  

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME showed a lot of footage of a Zeppelin concert that seemed kind of boring to me.  At one point, during "Dazed And Confused" I dozed off only to stir awake after I don't know how long to discover I both didn't know what tune they were playing and didn't really seem to care.  Turned out, it was STILL 'Dazed And Confused"!  

This reminds me of the time I begged my husband to accompany me to a Yes concert in Reno. He hated progressive rock but agreed to go anyway. About halfway through the show, he whispered to me "Is this all one long song?" 😄

• Haha 1

Fade to Black was from left-field, completely unexpected but not my thing. But loved the mini showings before it, Jimi Plays Monterey and Otis at Monterey. And that guy just painting Jimi at the start, I was wondering what it was and as soon as I saw how it was Jimi, I was blown away. Both of those, absolutely fire. Didn't catch all the concerts but saw The Song Remains the Same, one of the Elvis ones and the Decline of Western Civilization duos. Led Zep one was alright but the Decline movies were tops.

I'll catch more of the concert stuff that's on tonight; Neil Young, Jammin' the Blues (Jimi-tier), will miss Monterey Pop but will be there for Woodstock, all 4 hours of it. Checking out after that, it'll be one heck of a capstone after all these days of music.

My grandparents are NOT about these concerts. They look forward to their TCM movies every single night, and it's really turned their evenings upside down to have all this music on instead. That being said, I've enjoyed the few bits we have watched. I think the T.A.M.I. Show was my favorite.

• Like 1