Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Found this in NY Times about Dark Shadows

8 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

The NY Times read this nice little article in Today's Art Section.  I remember on one thread or topic, someone mentioned the series.  Unfortunately I can't upload file.  If someone knows how to do it, thank you.

Here's the link.

The NYT has a paywall, but you get a few free articles per month, tracked via cookies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/arts/television/dark-shadows-stream.html

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

Here's the link.

The NYT has a paywall, but you get a few free articles per month, tracked via cookies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/arts/television/dark-shadows-stream.html

The article was very well written and than the writer decided to incorporate out of nowhere a few paragraphs about the show being a “queer” delight. Why can’t The NY Times just give factional articles without opinion thrown in?

By the way, if you have PlutoTV (which is free) there is now a channel devoted 24/7 to Dark Shadows.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, vidorisking said:

The article was very well written and than the writer decided to incorporate out of nowhere a few paragraphs about the show being a “queer” delight. Why can’t The NY Times just give factional articles without opinion thrown in?

By the way, if you have PlutoTV (which is free) there is now a channel devoted 24/7 to Dark Shadows.

The writer begins the article, "And for a gay teenager in the 80's, it was perfect".  That puts it in context.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CMM said:

The writer begins the article, "And for a gay teenager in the 80's, it was perfect".  That puts it in context.

Anything a gay pop-culturist finds and likes, he or she feels obligated they can only like because of its "secret subtexts", and thus not for mere str8 mortals who don't "understand".  That's how we lost the old TCM Movie Morlocks blog when it became a Filmstruck/Criterion one.

And, to spare me reading the article, I assume the columnist went back to watching Dark Shadows because of giggling over recent presidential comments about Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones on airplanes?

Dark Shadows--after MCI Video made a cottage industry in the late-80's/early-90's out of releasing every episode on VHS--has pretty much sunk into PD-orphan status all over streaming.  

Although usually just thinking the canon STARTED with Barney the Vampire, and pretending the first season of the show never happened.  Even MCI only got around to that one later, after they'd finished the rest of the series.

6 hours ago, vidorisking said:

Hmm.  Now THAT'S something...  A perfectly reasonable substitute for TVLAND or BBC.  Among other things.

Can I buy you a beer?

6 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Hmm.  Now THAT'S something...  A perfectly reasonable substitute for TVLAND or BBC.  Among other things.

Can I buy you a beer?

Sounds good, Yuengling is just fine. I love PlutoTV, I have it on my Firestick. It is completely free and the channels about 200 of them are great. Let me ask you a question: Do you like your Three’s Company, there’s a channel for that. Do you like Classic game shows, there’s a channel for that. Same with classic movies, classic tv, everything. A great alternative for me when TCM is showing North By Northwest for the 14,134th time or Summer Under The (Lackluster) Stars is on, cough, cough Diana Dors, cough cough Nina Foch.

• Like 2

Interesting comments.  I don't remember Jonathan Frid ever doing anything else.  I only saw Dark Shadows in repeats because the soaps were during the day although still watched them (still do).  One of the actors went on to play Ruth Warrick's husband on AMC - he was Langley, the con artist.  I didn't know that the soap often aired lived (GH had a failed experiment about 5 years ago) and, apparently, it sounded like the great noir actress Joan Bennet needed some help with her lines.

31 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Interesting comments.  I don't remember Jonathan Frid ever doing anything else.  I only saw Dark Shadows in repeats because the soaps were during the day although still watched them (still do).  One of the actors went on to play Ruth Warrick's husband on AMC - he was Langley, the con artist.  I didn't know that the soap often aired lived (GH had a failed experiment about 5 years ago) and, apparently, it sounded like the great noir actress Joan Bennet needed some help with her lines.

It was taped "live", as if it were being broadcast live, meaning you pretty much got what you got, and it was taped in sequence.  There were very few, if any, retakes.  Videotape editing was still a cumbersome process in the 60s, especially for shows with budgets like soap operas.  Soaps were also on tight schedules, since an episode was needed 5 days per week (and no reruns).  Soap viewers at the time were accustomed to all the little flubs, because shortly before that, before videotape was available, soaps were broadcast live to the eastern and central time zones, mistakes and all.

Soap operas (and programs on the PBS predecessor, NET) were also some of the last to convert to color as well, again due to the expense and not having enough color-capable equipment in the various studios.  While the US network primetime schedules were pretty much all color by 1966, several soaps (including Dark Shadows) lingered on in B&W for a while longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, vidorisking said:

Sounds good, Yuengling is just fine. I love PlutoTV, I have it on my Firestick. It is completely free and the channels about 200 of them are great. Let me ask you a question: Do you like your Three’s Company, there’s a channel for that. Do you like Classic game shows, there’s a channel for that. Same with classic movies, classic tv, everything. A great alternative for me when TCM is showing North By Northwest for the 14,134th time or Summer Under The (Lackluster) Stars is on, cough, cough Diana Dors, cough cough Nina Foch.

Yes, I immediately watched a few Three's Company episodes.  The one with "Lionel Wurmel" (Phil Leeds) - the guy from "Paradise Towers" who's life Jack saved, the Loan Shark episode, and the Old Folks At Home episode starring veteran character actor J. Pat O'Malley, and Simone Griffeth (of Death Race 2000).  They had a lot of fun with that show.

The streaming service itself can be a bit choppy (this is on a newer computer with Firefox).  It might just be the bandwidth on my end though.  It seems as if there is no caching whatsoever, I can literally pop open a normal web page on another computer and watch the video stutter.  How is it for you?  Too bad there is no download feature - that is how I watch just about anything from the Internet - in order to get a smooth playback, or even the capability to pause or back up.  It is reported to have been started in 2014, but is very rudimentary yet.  Rudimentary but free.

7 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Yes, I immediately watched a few Three's Company episodes.  The one with "Lionel Wurmel" (Phil Leeds) - the guy from "Paradise Towers" who's life Jack saved, the Loan Shark episode, and the Old Folks At Home episode starring veteran character actor J. Pat O'Malley, and Simone Griffeth (of Death Race 2000).  They had a lot of fun with that show.

The streaming service itself can be a bit choppy (this is on a newer computer with Firefox).  It might just be the bandwidth on my end though.  It seems as if there is no caching whatsoever, I can literally pop open a normal web page on another computer and watch the video stutter.  How is it for you?  Too bad there is no download feature - that is how I watch just about anything from the Internet - in order to get a smooth playback, or even the capability to pause or back up.  It is reported to have been started in 2014, but is very rudimentary yet.  Rudimentary but free.

One of the best things I ever bought was this little device called a Firestick for about $30 on Amazon. I hooked it up to my tv in 2 minutes and downloaded Pluto. I have no problem with it, I also have one SmartTv in my house that I downloaded it on and it works great. I spent about a year watching Robert Stack’s Unsolved Mysteries around the clock on Pluto. The app is a game changer in cutting the cord. I don’t even have cable, for TCM I use WatchTV  that I pay $15 a month for.

1 hour ago, vidorisking said:

One of the best things I ever bought was this little device called a Firestick for about $30 on Amazon. I hooked it up to my tv in 2 minutes and downloaded Pluto. I have no problem with it, I also have one SmartTv in my house that I downloaded it on and it works great. I spent about a year watching Robert Stack’s Unsolved Mysteries around the clock on Pluto. The app is a game changer in cutting the cord. I don’t even have cable, for TCM I use WatchTV  that I pay $15 a month for.

Thanks.  Since my last post I was able to take a laptop to test over to a friend's house.  I have 3Mb/s service, whereas he has at least twice that, possibly more by now.  The same laptop worked great with Pluto.tv over at his place.  So mystery solved.

The 3Mb/s service is just the entry level for my provider, but fine for everything else I do.  Most of what I watch from the Internet I download first, so I don't have any issues with that.  Last night Pluto.tv streamed much better, so performance is a bit hit or miss for live streaming at my service level.  I am okay with that.