Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Claire Bloomsday

kingrat

I'm delighted that Claire Bloom has her own day on the 31st, but there are some outstanding films on the schedule that can be recommended to anyone, even if you're not a Claire Bloom fan.

RICHARD III is one of the best Shakespeare adaptations, but you could also enjoy it as Laurence Olivier playing a medieval gangster. Claire plays the young widow who can't help marrying her husband's murderer.

THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD is an excellent version of John le Carre's most famous spy novel, with one of Richard Burton's finest performances.

THE HAUNTING (1963) is really a psychological suspense story rather than a horror movie. Taut direction by Robert Wise, with a strong performance by Julie Harris.

Too bad Chaplin's LIMELIGHT couldn't have been included. By the way, THE OUTRAGE is an Americanization of Kurosawa's RASHOMON.

If you're a Claire Bloom fan, you'll enjoy her autobiography, which mentions amours with several well-known actors.

kingrat, I am going to try to catch *The Brothers Karamazov, Alexander the Great*, and *The Man* *Between*. Did you happen to see Claire Bloom on the "extra" where she talked about Yul Brynner?

She was luminous. I would like to read her memoirs - I love Rod Steiger, but they seem such opposites.

*By the way, does anyone know if 80,000 Suspects is a TCM premiere, or just one that they haven't shown in a long time? It doesn't sound like something I've seen on the schedule before.*

Check the TCM database. If the word Articles is in bold, then the film has aired on TCM in the past.

• 3 months later...

>RICHARD III is one of the best Shakespeare adaptations, but you could also enjoy it as Laurence Olivier playing a medieval gangster. Claire plays the young widow who can't help marrying her husband's murderer.

I love the way Claire throws herself so whole-heartedly in that early great "wooing" scene. There is, for me anyway, a slight comic tone to the alacrity with which she plays it. What energy! I love watching her. She defies him and spits at him and yet, as you suggest, cannot hide from him, nor us, a yearning that is so well expressed with those little wanton looks at the end of each verbal exchange. Beautifully done.