Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 hours ago, lmc said:

Hey, I totally get showing a BLEND of things.  But, this hasn't ended for so long, then last weekend, right? Well, I've been just so sick and really do detest filmed concerts, that I LITERALLY have tuned out of my standbye chanel, TCM whenever they crop up - but I recall this happened about a week ago, too.  How long is this going to continue?  
I really don't understand how to  find the programming schedules unless I SEE THE ADVERTISEMENT ON TCM at this point.
Also, since you were bought out, I NOW PAY $10/mo for TCM - so, this is really very tedious and it is absolutely unlike anything that I've experienced before in programming - never before have I seen anything lasting over a 24hr period and that even has some variety, although it consists of showcasing one actor, actress, etc. during month of Aug. and I REALLY like that programming (except when it's low-brow slapstick because it causes me to have knot in my stomach, get antsy - just not my bag) but this isn't even reasonable. Documentary (mostly) styled musical reviews... WOW, blasting away even while I spent entire night in ER, I awaken and most of today is blown w/ this stuff. 

There must be a stop time - there must be some type of REASONABLE conclusion to it all. Anybody know?  What is it called?  Maybe, just maybe, can anybody tell how to find out about upcoming debacles to that I can not be stuck facing this and checking back in to see if it's completed - I'd really appreciate the help.

Can I get a refund for the huge blocks of time that I simply don't have access to TCM as it has always historically been up to this scheduling issue? That is a redundant question, meant to add a bit of levity to an unknown unwanted unexpected quantity... I've just never seen anything like this before and it's really very, very unreasonable.

So you want a refund?     I computed the time these concerts were on during the month,  and you get a refund of 20 cents.

• Haha 2

It'll be over today. Like it or not, these filmed concerts, rather documentaries, are movies. They have a narrative. 

Should I request a refund from Dish every time TCM airs marathons of sci-fi movies or horror movies? Those aren't my favorites.  

Good grief.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Tomorrow these same people will be complaining about the Women Make Film series.

absolutely NOT true for me, just such long repeated blocks of same narrative, same stuff, literally, MUSIC docs (except for the occasional rehash of Beatles HARD DAYS NIGHT).  I guess NOT ONE PERSON caught ANYTHING ELSE once the wise crack man responded about 20 cent refund - no answer to actual questions about how to find out about this long, still going, and now repeated (it did happen last weekend, too) stretch of concerts. Nor any constructive information asked for in my posting. 

And, again, notice the Jazzman is sitting in his pic w/ his GUITAR - so, it's obviously most likely something he is going to NEGATE - but, the rest of you?  Just ignoring the actual message and busting loose, w/ the hate responses and negativity. 

READ THE COMMENT AND QUESTIONS AND THINK FOR YOURSELF... It wasn't some dig, it was a series of questions. Damn me all to h*** for attempting to make light of the situation by adding that comment  about refund, in jest, that I even noted as 'adding some levity to the situation' - attempting to joke about it since I understand, again, that some my really dig this LONG LINE of continued programming, but, it is actually unusual, not anything I've ever seen before on TCM, days of concerts so far once we add last weekends lineup.

READERS, please read the comment for yourself, stop reacting to the jazzman's biased and needless negative response spewed out to start a stink and to deflect from the actual post - his own personal firebombing of another TCM viewer that he doesn't agree with, and think for oneself, please.

I'm simply shocked that this string of (according to pics provided by most) men, are just tearing apart one lighthearted comment and summarizing a clear, defined concern, questions, and on the attack over one person's nasty, misleading summarizing dismissing flameball.....

It' not just you, TB, but, you are a JOURNALIST and you make such uninformed comments?  

I guess it should be expected in this rageful day and age, but a JOURNALIST... very disheartening.

Edited by lmc
a couple of typos...
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So you want a refund?     I computed the time these concerts were on during the month,  and you get a refund of 20 cents.

59 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Tomorrow these same people will be complaining about the Women Make Film series.

the sum total of it all, two of 4 replies and, not ONE does anything but follow the man with the guitar in hand in his ID pic...

8 minutes ago, lmc said:

absolutely NOT true for me, just such long repeated blocks of same narrative, same stuff, literally, MUSIC docs (except for the occasional rehash of Beatles HARD DAYS NIGHT.  I guess NOT ONE PERSON caught ANY ELSE once the wise crack man repsonded about 20 cent refund - no answer to actual questions about how to find out about this long, still going, and now repeated (it did happen last weekend, too) stretch of concerts.  
And, again, notice the Jazzman is sitting in his pic w/ his GUITAR - so, it's obviously most likely something he is going to NEGATE - but, the rest of you?  Just ignoring the actual message and busting loose, w/ the hate responses or negativity. 
READ THE COMMENT AND QUESTIONS AND THING FOR YOURSELF... It wasn't some dig, it was a series of questions. Damn me all to h*** for attempting to make light of the situation by adding that comment that I even noted as 'adding some levity to the situation' - attempting to joke about it since I understand, again, that some my really dig this LONG LINE of continued programming, but, it is actually unusual, not anything I've ever seen before on TCM, days of concerts so far once we add last weekends lineup.

Just read the comment for yourself, stop reacting to the jazzman's biased and needless negative response spewed out to start a stink and to deflect from the actual post - his own persnoal firebombing of another TCM viewer that he doesn't agree with, and think for oneself, please.

I'm simply shocked that this string of (according to pics provided by most) men, are just tearing apart one lighthearted comment and summarizing a clear, defined concern, questions, and on the attack over one person's nasty, misleading summarizing dismissing flameball.....

It' not just you, TB, but, you are a JOURNALIST and you make such uninformed comments?  

I guess it should be expected in this rageful day and age, but a JOURNALIST... very disheartening.

For the record I am not "raging" against you or your viewpoint. However, I think your reactions are a bit harsh and maybe even a bit over the top. This is just one weekend of specialty programming. It's not like TCM does this every weekend. 

Personally I find it annoying when TCM airs three and a half days worth of war films over Memorial Day weekend, and they repeat that practice every year. But I don't try and prevent others from enjoying a weekend-long marathon of films if it's to their liking, and not mine.

We need to demonstrate a bit of patience and tolerance. The schedule can't always be what we want it to be. It has to accommodate viewers with different preferences.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

so, that's all you got out of this string of questions about attempting to understand how to find programming, how to find names of blocks of programming that I haven't seen listed on the ads?  I think what you have started is called 'flaming' so flit away...

Damn me to h*** for making a light, offhanded joke comment about refund and NOTING... "just bringing some levity to the situation". I guess you didn't see that, either.

Flame away, my man.  Get your uproar going - making everybody fully understand the problem w/ 'white angry men' even on a TCM message board.

lmc

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

For the record I am not "raging" against you or your viewpoint. However, I think your reactions are a bit harsh and maybe even a bit over the top. This is just one weekend of specialty programming. It's not like TCM does this every weekend. 

Personally I find it annoying when TCM airs three and a half days worth of war films over Memorial Day weekend, and they repeat that practice every year. But I don't try and prevent others from enjoying a weekend-long marathon of films if it's to their liking, and not mine.

We need to demonstrate a bit of patience and tolerance. The schedule can't always be what we want it to be. It has to accommodate viewers with different preferences.

Again, not so far JUST ONE WEEKEND, it happened during last weekend, too. But, again, I asked the question to clarify that it did happen - since I don't understand how to ref things online, as I clearly asked for some help in doing in that message posted.  
It's apparent you've yet read? Digested? COMPREHENDED what was clearly stated and what is clearly happening, now TWO weekends in a row.  Or, again, a programming and trying to find out names of unadvertised (or, possibly advertised and I missed it on television ads) programming. 
Yes, I was and am frustrated about this huge lost block of time, but, I also actually did JOKE about my frustration, in an attempt to 'bring some levity' to what was posted... and I did, repeatedly, throughout the comment ASK FOR HELP which NOT ONE PERSON HAS DONE - they have, including YOU, just read the jazzman's quippy flame and started shooting arrows, following his seemingly biased and very, very reductive and dismissing lead.
I don't EVER expect things to suit just me, and, again, HAD YOU READ MY COMMENT, you would have gotten that message right off the top, from first intro.
I see now that the TCM message board isn't actually a place for questions, nor a SAFE place to even joke about a person's (mine) being put off by an unexpected and very different type of scheduling that I don't even know how to find a name for online. 
And, again, TCM message board is NOT a place to actually get answers about how the TCM scheduling can be found online - it's all just been ignored and the arrows keep being shot.

Have at gentlemen - join the uninformed masses.

But, again, A JOURNALIST?  I just thought so much more highly of the 4 Estate and that reputation for being FULLY informed, UNBIASED, unless, of course, belonging to that select few that have seeped into our country's media and now political state from down under - I never expect anything based on truth finding or 'unbiased broadcasting' from that rugged crew. Maybe you're just one of THOSE brand of journalists...

I now bow out and will never address any questions after this at this point in time.

Over and out,

lmc

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, lmc said:

Again, not so far JUST ONE WEEKEND, it happened during last weekend, too. But, again, I asked the question to clarify that it did happen - since I don't understand how to ref things online, as I clearly asked for some help in doing in that message posted.  
It's apparent you've yet read? Digested? COMPREHENDED what was clearly stated and what is clearly happening, now TWO weekends in a row.  Or, again, a programming and trying to find out names of unadvertised (or, possibly advertised and I missed it on television ads) programming. 
Yes, I was and am frustrated about this huge lost block of time, but, I also actually did JOKE about my frustration, in an attempt to 'bring some levity' to what was posted... and I did, repeatedly, throughout the comment ASK FOR HELP which NOT ONE PERSON HAS DONE - they have, including YOU, just read the jazzman's quippy flame and started shooting arrows, following his seemingly biased and very, very reductive and dismissing lead.
I don't EVER expect things to suit just me, and, again, HAD YOU READ MY COMMENT, you would have gotten that message right off the top, from first intro.
I see now that the TCM message board isn't actually a place for questions, nor a SAFE place to even joke about a person's (mine) being put off by an unexpected and very different type of scheduling that I don't even know how to find a name for online. 
And, again, TCM message board is NOT a place to actually get answers about how the TCM scheduling can be found online - it's all just been ignored and the arrows keep being shot.

Have at gentlemen - join the uninformed masses.

But, again, A JOURNALIST?  I just thought so much more highly of the 4 Estate and that reputation for being FULLY informed, UNBIASED, unless, of course, belonging to that select few that have seeped into our country's media and now political state from down under - I never expect anything based on truth finding or 'unbiased broadcasting' from that rugged crew. Maybe you're just one of THOSE brand of journalists...

I now bow out and will never address any questions after this at this point in time.

Over and out,

lmc

You're not being rational.  

28 minutes ago, lmc said:

so, that's all you got out of this string of questions about attempting to understand how to find programming, how to find names of blocks of programming that I haven't seen listed on the ads?  I think what you have started is called 'flaming' so flit away...

Damn me to h*** for making a light, offhanded joke comment about refund and NOTING... "just bringing some levity to the situation". I guess you didn't see that, either.

Flame away, my man.  Get your uproar going - making everybody fully understand the problem w/ 'white angry men' even on a TCM message board.

lmc

For the record I don't like these concert films either (especially since they are NOT jazz concerts).      Typically on Labor day weekend TCM features working man \ working women films;     E.g.   How Green was my Valley  (while not about America it is a solid film about working life).

Another user here speculated that TCM was featuring concert films (instead of typical labor day fair) since there were no actual concert season due to Covid-19.      

Yes,  TCM also showed concert films last weekend.   

TCM has always had specialized programming (i.e.  theme based programming of films);   Some I like,  some I don't.      

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, lmc said:

so, that's all you got out of this string of questions about attempting to understand how to find programming, how to find names of blocks of programming that I haven't seen listed on the ads?

lmc

Hello, have you signed up for TCM's Now Playing newsletter?  Twice a month I get an email about that month's programming with links to the printable  schedule and articles.  You can also find the schedule on TCM's webpage.  That can help you find upcoming programming. 😊

sign up for TCM Now Playing email :  https://preferences.tcm.com/?onlydisplay=nowplaying

September schedulehttp://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?ecid=subnavmonthschedule

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Re: "For the record I don't like these concert films either (especially since they are NOT jazz concerts)."

Since it doesn't read as if you will watch MV5BNmJkMzZhODQtZTU4Ny00YjVhLThjMmQtNTg2MWZjMDk4OTIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYzMTY1MjQ@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg tonight, jamesjazzguitar, may I suggest this sample from the film for you - a Hugh Masekela rendering of the B-Side to his much more recognizable "Grazing in the Grass" single which seems like it could've been culled from the 1967 Monterey JAZZ Festival instead:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, laffite said:

I can't wait for TCM to air 24 hours straight of recorded operas. How will folks feel about that? They might just change their tune.

:lol:

I can only speak for myself here, but since our favorite network has been binging on the classic content of about 4-5 other cable networks, have they by any chance binged on classic A&E Channel content yet?  (from back in the days when they used to show classical music?)

• lmc changed the title to oao
9 minutes ago, laffite said:

oao?

I googled OAO.  There are a lot of different interpretations, some vulgar, some technical. 

I am going to speculate that the poster changed the title to the acronym OAO, meaning "Over and Out."  It's the only thing in the list of possible OAO that made sense.

The OP would be relieved to know that starting 3AM (PST), TCM is back to "regular" programming with a series of noir, starting with Armored Car Robbery. Of the noir block airing, I highly recommend The Asphalt Jungle and High Sierra

Edited by speedracer5
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, lmc said:

... Maybe, just maybe, can anybody tell how to find out about upcoming debacles to that I can not be stuck facing this and checking back in to see if it's completed - I'd really appreciate the help.

So, your source for TCM (cable or satellite) doesn't have a "Guide" feature? 

That's how I've always checked out what the "coming attractions" are going to be on TCM, anyway.

Yep, all I do is hit the guide button on my remote one night a week and then arrow right all the through the week ahead, and then especially keep my eyes peeled for any and all movies listed on the guide that I've never seen before...and which frankly is never all that many, IF any.

(...and thus the very reason I have NO problem at all whenever TCM does this kind of special programing, and 'cause basically IT'S DIFFERENT and just might be, TAH-DAH, somethin' I've never seen before)

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So, your source for TCM (cable or satellite) doesn't have a "Guide" feature? 

That's how I've always checked out what the "coming attractions" are going to be on TCM, anyway.

Yep, all I do is hit the guide button on my remote one night a week and then arrow right all the through the week ahead, and then especially keep my eyes peeled for any and all movies listed on the guide that I've never seen before...and which frankly is never all that many, IF any.

(...and thus the very reason I have NO problem at all whenever TCM does this kind of special programing, and 'cause basically IT'S DIFFERENT and just might be, TAH-DAH, somethin' I've never seen before)

I do something similar. I check the week’s programming on TCM.com then I use the dish app on my phone to search for the program I’m interested in, and set my recording. It’s easier on the phone than on the guide on the TV. 

Im never surprised by the programming, nor do I care that much. I have over 500 things on my DVR. No lack of programming options. 

I don't understand.  I just clicked on this thread, and the original post is just  "oao"  ?? Yet people quote the poster as though once the first post said something else.  It's as though everyone else here has been able to read something I don't see.    What's going on and how come I'm the only one who's confused?  (Well, maybe laffite too.)  and what does   "oao" stand for?

edit   I just went back and skimmed over the whole thread and I can't for the life of me figure out where everyone is seeing all these things the original poster said in their original post?  I feel like I'm in Gaslight.

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

I don't understand.  I just clicked on this thread, and the original post is just  "oao"  ?? Yet people quote the poster as though once the first post said something else.  It's as though everyone else here has been able to read something I don't see.    What's going on and how come I'm the only one who's confused?  (Well, maybe laffite too.)  and what does   "oao" stand for?

edit   I just went back and skimmed over the whole thread and I can't for the life of me figure out where everyone is seeing all these things the original poster said in their original post?  I feel like I'm in Gaslight.

The OP deleted their post and changed the title.   Their manifesto was long and tired, but the gist of it was that they were unhappy about the End of Summer programming. They asked when it would end, and then said they paid $10 extra per month to have TCM. In  jest (they claim), they requested a refund because the programming wasn’t up to their specs.

I googled OAO and as far as I can tell, it might mean “over and out.”  But I really don’t know 100%. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Jamesjazzguitar in fact quoted the entire OP if you would like to read it. It's in the second post in this thread.

• Thanks 1