Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can't record TCM anymore

Can you elaborate "changed format"?  If it's the "can't record copyrighted material" there is an old school fallback solution.  You can always dub it to DVD later on. If your box don't have AV out, can use an HDMI converter.

s-l400.jpg

Units made before 2010 don't have the anti record feature, shop carefully.

I'll NEVER abandon VHS

61AV9b1UVoS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It says "Error 45" I believe.  I was told by a Cox customer service rep that TCM allows one "access" which is the cable company.  My "access" which is my attempt to record, results in the error message.  I also ned to clarify that I do not have a cable box that records the movies.  Thank you for your help.  Please advise.

7 hours ago, Livrefemme said:

It says "Error 45" I believe.  I was told by a Cox customer service rep that TCM allows one "access" which is the cable company.  My "access" which is my attempt to record, results in the error message.  I also ned to clarify that I do not have a cable box that records the movies.  Thank you for your help.  Please advise.

Does you unit have its own built-in tuner, like an HD Homerun? (essentially a legal 3rd party cable box or cable box/recorder...these sometimes work and sometimes don't, depending on arbitrary cable co settings) 

Or are you using a regular cable box, and then recording from the video outputs?  And if you are doing this, which video outputs?  (HDMI?  RCA?  What color RCA jacks are you plugging into on the cable box?)

Answering these questions will help clue us in to where your problem is, as there are a few different things that could happen.   As it is people will just be guessing, based on their own situation.

Until a year ago, I was still using my VCR to record things, except I was running out of tapes, my VCR was having problems, and when I recorded things the image would be unsteady.  So I contacted my cable company and got a DVR box.  Your company might be generous about it.

It could be a cable company upgrade.  My provider started blocking recordings to DVD or VCR some years ago now.  If that is the case you will need a special device between your cable box and your recorder to make it work.

The way to check if it is your cable provider (mine denied it was them and it was them) is to see it you are allowed to record the TCM commercials and introductions but all that stops when the movies start.  The way also knew it was my specific cable provider was that this was not happening to a friend who lived just outside the city with a different cable provider.

14 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

It could be a cable company upgrade.  My provider started blocking recordings to DVD or VCR some years ago now.  If that is the case you will need a special device between your cable box and your recorder to make it work.

The way to check if it is your cable provider (mine denied it was them and it was them) is to see it you are allowed to record the TCM commercials and introductions but all that stops when the movies start.  The way also knew it was my specific cable provider was that this was not happening to a friend who lived just outside the city with a different cable provider.

18 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Does you unit have its own built-in tuner, like an HD Homerun? (essentially a legal 3rd party cable box or cable box/recorder...these sometimes work and sometimes don't, depending on arbitrary cable co settings) 

Or are you using a regular cable box, and then recording from the video outputs?  And if you are doing this, which video outputs?  (HDMI?  RCA?  What color RCA jacks are you plugging into on the cable box?)

Answering these questions will help clue us in to where your problem is, as there are a few different things that could happen.   As it is people will just be guessing, based on their own situation.

I don't know if it has its own built-in tuner, but that's just a guess.  It's a Magnavox dual VCR/DVD unit.  I am using a regular cable box and recording from the video outputs.  My brother set up the unit and I use a combination of red/yellow/white and green/red/blue.  When Cox decided to switch boxes, I was told it was because it used less "space" over the internet.  The Cox rep also told me that the contracts with some of the channels did not allow recording.  As Skimpole noted, I noticed that the inability to record channels came about gradually.  I would also be remiss if I didn't let you know that I am technologically challenged.

It says "Error 45" I believe.  I was told by a Cox customer service rep that TCM allows one "access" which is the cable company.  My "access" which is my attempt to record, results in the error message.  I also ned to clarify that I do not have a cable box that records the movies.  Thank you for your help.  Please advise.n

4 hours ago, Livrefemme said:

It says "Error 45" I believe.  I was told by a Cox customer service rep that TCM allows one "access" which is the cable company.  My "access" which is my attempt to record, results in the error message.  I also ned to clarify that I do not have a cable box that records the movies.  Thank you for your help.  Please advise.n

Okay, you didn't exactly answer my questions, so I will have to infer from what you did say.

You did mention that you have a regular cable box without DVR.

It sounds like you have more than one device connected to your cable box at the same time, and that might now be a problem.  I will assume you have your TV plugged into the cable box with a HDMI cable, and the recorder plugged into the cable box - with an RCA cable going to the YELLOW jack at each end (and also a couple RCA audio cables).  Just a hunch.

quick test: Try unplugging either end of the cable that goes between your cable box and TV.

(there could be one of two reasons, if not both, and this will help determine which course to take)

If the  box or DVR from your cable company is HD and is hooked into your TV with a single HDMI cable. That's the one where the plug is about   3/4" wide, you can't record from that. It's designed by the manufacturers so people can't record HD signals. If you  can still hook it up with the older red, yellow and white cables  and unplug both ends of the HDMI you should be able to record that way. It  won't be HD, but still should work.  

Just one thing, don't call up your cable company for advise. They'll tell you that's  illegal to record from them and that isn't true. The Supreme Court settled that years ago. They want people to think that the only way to record is by paying them that outragious DVR fee every month.

It looks as if Cox doesn't publish their error codes, rather they intentionally hide them.  Presumably in a vain effort to slow down the inevitable customer reverse-engineering process, aided in part by open source information that can be found on the Internet. 😁

17 hours ago, markfp2 said:

If the  box or DVR from your cable company is HD and is hooked into your TV with a single HDMI cable. That's the one where the plug is about   3/4" wide, you can't record from that. It's designed by the manufacturers so people can't record HD signals. If you  can still hook it up with the older red, yellow and white cables  and unplug both ends of the HDMI you should be able to record that way. It  won't be HD, but still should work.  

Just one thing, don't call up your cable company for advise. They'll tell you that's  illegal to record from them and that isn't true. The Supreme Court settled that years ago. They want people to think that the only way to record is by paying them that outragious DVR fee every month.

On 9/10/2020 at 8:38 PM, Livrefemme said:

Bogie, do you have any recommendations as to any devices that I may use in order to continue to enjoy recording?  Much gratitude!

You need to identify the EXACT problem.  Are you able to record the commercials and introductions on TCM but when the movie comes on it stops and you get an error message?

On 9/9/2020 at 9:54 PM, Livrefemme said:

I own a dvd recorder (Magnavox). My cable company has changed format and now I can no longer record TCM when I'm away.  Does anyone have a solution?  Many thanks to all!

Contact your provider and have them resolve the issue they apparently created, if they can’t or won’t support your recording needs, find a provider which will.