Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Dame Diana Rigg (1938-2020)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-diana-rigg-dead-legendary-22661440

Diana Rigg dead: Game Of Thrones star dies after secret cancer battle aged 82

Diana Rigg, who is best known for her roles in Game Of Thrones, TV series The Avengers and James Bond film On Her Majesty's Secret Service, has died at the age of 82

Diana Rigg has died at the age of 82, her family has confirmed.

She died after a secret battle with cancer, which was diagnosed back in March.

The iconic actress is known for her roles in Game Of Thrones, TV series The Avengers and James Bond film On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Her agent shared the news in a statement released on Thursday, saying: "It is with tremendous sadness that we announce that Dame Diana Rigg died peacefully early this morning.

"She was at home with her family who have asked for privacy at this difficult time. Dame Diana was an icon of theatre, film, and television.

"She was the recipient of Bafta, Emmy, Tony and Evening Standard Awards for her work on stage and screen.

"Dame Diana was a much loved and admired member of her profession, a force of nature who loved her work and her fellow actors. She will be greatly missed."

Her daughter Rachael Stirling paid tribute to her in an emotional statement.

Rachel said: "My Beloved Ma died peacefully in her sleep early this morning, at home, surrounded by family.

"She died of cancer diagnosed in March, and spent her last months joyfully reflecting on her extraordinary life, full of love, laughter and a deep pride in her profession. 

"I will miss her beyond words." 

She was made a Dame in the 1994 Birthday Honours for her services to drama.

Diana's most popular recent role was as Olenna Tyrell in Game Of Thrones, which she held from 2013 until 2017. 

The character was killed off by Jaime Lannister in season seven. 

Born in Doncaster in 1938, Diana started her career in theatre with roles in Royal Shakespeare Company productions in the early sixties.

From 1961 to 1969 she played secret agent Emma Peel in 51 episodes of The Avengers.

She became a Bond girl in On Her Majesty's Secret Service opposite George Lazenby.

The star played Tracy Bond, James Bond's only wife, but the character died just moments after the wedding.

Her most recent film role is in Last Night in Soho, which will be released next year.

Diana was married to Menachem Gueffen, an Israeli painter, from 1973 until their divorce in 1976.

She married  Archibald Stirling, a theatrical producer and former officer in the Scots Guards, in 1982.

They divorced in 1990 after his affair with the actress Joely Richardson.

Her only child, actress Rachel Stirling, was born in 1977.

She had one grandchild, a boy named Jack, through Rachel's marriage to Elbow frontman Guy Garvey.

More to follow.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Aw dang.

great_muppet_caper_02.jpg

I positively ADORE her as LADY HOLIDAY in the GREAT MUPPET CAPER. Her first big scene (when she cuts the model's hair, throws ink on one's gown, then TEARS MARLA, DARLA AND CARLA to pieces ) was a SEMINAL INFLUENCE ON ME.

"loose where it should be tight and tight where it should be loose..."

• Like 1

I am so, so sorry to read this. An incredibly talented actress, Diana Rigg always had a special touch of class.

I have not seen GAME OF THRONES but she was marvelous, stealing the show from an ensemble cast, in EVIL UNDER THE SUN, a characterization that was a delicious combination of show biz flash and prima donna b i t c hiness.

But I will always remember her, primarily, for the role in which I first saw her and fell in love, as Mrs. Emma Peel in THE AVENGERS. Her portrayal was intelligent, droll and fashion chic. And, of course, there were those tight leather outfits she could wear as almost no one else.

20190827174306-cd458af2-me.jpg

Farewell, Mrs. Peel, you will always occupy a large part of my child's heart.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I have not seen GAME OF THRONES but she was marvelous

They mention GAME OF THRONES for the popcorn fans. She was good all right in that (I eat a lot of popcorn), but her previous career in movies and television completely overshadow all else. The first thing that popped to my mind was a rather splendid portrayal as Mrs Danvers in a television drama in the 80s. She had two bits where she embarked on a sort of monologues that took some acting chops. I remember her fondly in A Midsummer Night's Dream (1969) alongside Helen Mirren, Ian Richardson, and Ian Holm (among other fine actors).

Most celebrity deaths are felt by me but but not necessarily a whole lot. Some get deeper emotional reactions. This is one of them. It's jarring to see this news. RIP, Miss Diana.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just saw this on the web. Very sad news. I loved her on The Avengers and followed her career (and what a career!) ever since. She just starred on Broadway in My Fair Lady a season ago. :(

MRS PEEL, WE'RE NEEDED!

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, laffite said:

They mention GAME OF THRONES for the popcorn fans. She was good all right in that (I eat a lot of popcorn), but her previous career in movies and television completely overshadow all else. The first thing that popped to my mind was a rather splendid portrayal as Mrs Danvers in a television drama in the 80s. She had two bits where she embarked on a sort of monologues that took some acting chops. I remember her fondly in A Midsummer Night's Dream (1969) alongside Helen Mirren, Ian Richardson, and Ian Holm (among other fine actors).

Most celebrity deaths are felt by me but but not necessarily a whole lot. Some get deeper emotional reactions. This is one of them. It's jarring to see this news. RIP, Miss Diana.

She also had a long and distinguished career on the stage as well (mostly in England) but also appeared on Broadway several times and won a Tony for Medea.

I remember she left the My Fair Lady revival before it closed. I wonder if it was due to discovering her illness?

I liked Emma Peel because she was smart (bridge player, some sort of scientist), could kick touchas, and could wear clothes well.  I remember the Midsummer Night's Dream production.  I think Diana Rigg once said that Lord Olivier initially criticized her stage acting capabilities, but she took it as constructive criticism (and, I think, earned his respect).

• Like 2
Just now, Sepiatone said:

EMMA PEEL gone!  Now my heart is truly broken.  :(

Rest In Peace Diana.

Sepiatone

I love this post. I'm addicted to some fictional characters. It's almost embarrassing. Especially with BBC Dramas. Anyway Sep, I feel ya.

• Thanks 2

she's also really good in a surprising role in THEATRE OF BLOOD, a 1973 BRITISH film with VINCENT PRICE that copies the DR PHIBES.

eVen if you're not surprised BY HER SECRET at the end, you still admire the technique employed.

OIP.S1metv9TEz2kq_698chhAQHaEc?pid=Api&r

UNFORTUNATELY, while this film is easy to find, PRINTS OF IT ARE REALLY, REALLY AWFUL- to the point where I am not sure a good one exists. If anyone would like to let me know, feel free to reply. i would hate to think the film has always looked as bad as it did the last time i tried to watch it.

• Like 3

How horrible to have lost Dame Diana and Honor Blackman  during the same year! This means Linda Thorson, who played Tara King, is the surviving star of "The Avengers" episodes that aired on American television between 1966 and 1969. Patrick Macnee, who starred as John Steed, died in 2015.

See the source image

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Dame Diana certainly had a great sense of humor as evidenced by her guest starring role as herself in Ricky Gervais' HBO sitcom "Extras." In a Season 2 episode from 2007, she kept her cool despite annoying behavior by teen star Daniel Radcliffe (who played himself against type).

See the source image

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

she's also really good in a surprising role in THEATRE OF BLOOD, a 1973 BRITISH film with VINCENT PRICE that copies the DR PHIBES.

eVen if you're not surprised BY HER SECRET at the end, you still admire the technique employed.

OIP.S1metv9TEz2kq_698chhAQHaEc?pid=Api&r

UNFORTUNATELY, while this film is easy to find, PRINTS OF IT ARE REALLY, REALLY AWFUL- to the point where I am not sure a good one exists. If anyone would like to let me know, feel free to reply. i would hate to think the film has always looked as bad as it did the last time i tried to watch it.

Yes, I saw it once on tv, but it rarely pops up. I remember when it came out, but couldn't see it then.

57 minutes ago, jakeem said:

How horrible to have lost Dame Diana and Honor Blackman  during the same year! This means Linda Thorson, who played Tara King, is the surviving star of "The Avengers" episodes that aired on American television between 1966 and 1969. Patrick Macnee, who starred as John Steed, died in 2015.

See the source image

Yes, odd they died in the same  year. Both also had memorable roles in James Bond films too.

As for Linda Thorson, if you can't say anything nice about someone............I stopped watching the show when she came on.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yes, odd they died in the same  year. Both also had memorable roles in James Bond films too.

As for Linda Thorson, if you can't say anything nice about someone............I stopped watching the show when she came on.

Linda Thorson just turned 73.  According to IMDB, her last big-screen role was in 2016 in a Canadian movie called "The Second Time Around", about a couple of senior facility residents who fall in love with each other.  She's also been in some episodes of series television since then, including "The Hardy Boys" from this year.  I agree that "The Avengers" became less interesting when she replaced Diana Rigg, whom I thought was the quintessential partner for Patrick Macnee (of all 3 of his contemporaries).  I'm very glad to have purchased the complete box set of "The Avengers" episodes with Rigg in them.

I have seen "Theatre of Blood" and "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", and she was good in both of them.  She was also George C. Scott's love interest in "The Hospital", which TCM has shown a couple of times, but not recently (I think).  

6 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Linda Thorson just turned 73.  According to IMDB, her last big-screen role was in 2016 in a Canadian movie called "The Second Time Around", about a couple of senior facility residents who fall in love with each other.  She's also been in some episodes of series television since then, including "The Hardy Boys" from this year.  I agree that "The Avengers" became less interesting when she replaced Diana Rigg, whom I thought was the quintessential partner for Patrick Macnee (of all 3 of his contemporaries).  I'm very glad to have purchased the complete box set of "The Avengers" episodes with Rigg in them.

I have seen "Theatre of Blood" and "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", and she was good in both of them.  She was also George C. Scott's love interest in "The Hospital", which TCM has shown a couple of times, but not recently (I think).  

I may wind up buying The Avengers set for the holidays. Years ago they used to show the reruns, but I havent seen it on tv in many years on any station.

• Like 2