Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Dame Diana Rigg (1938-2020)

I also liked the Season 5 installment titled "From Venus With Love." In the episode, Steed and Mrs. Peel  investigated the mysterious deaths of several amateur astronomers. Their search led to an astronomical society devoted to the planet Venus. The group was headed by Venus Brown, played by Barbara Shelley -- the longtime queen of British horror movies. The episode was my introduction to Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

Composer Laurie Johnson came up with a score that featured elements of Gustav Holst's "Venus" movement from "The Planets."

The Avengers: Creative Eveningwear in Red – Bond Suits

• Like 1
13 hours ago, EricJ said:

No, [DIANA RIGG played THE WICKED QUEEN in]  Golan/Globus's theatrical CannonTales version [of SNOW WHITE] (now reappearing, after MIA status on video, thanks to Cannon joining the MGM/Orion Orphans on streaming):

1. Vanessa Redgrave was in the Shelley Duvall version.)

2. Rigg does pretty well as the thrice-disguised Queen, and certainly has a lot more fun in a low-budget kiddy movie than her onscreen jury-duty boredom in The Great Muppet Caper (1981).

3. Speaking of multiple disguises, I feel a shoutout is due toward Rigg's performance with Vincent Price in Theatre of Blood (1973).

1. Man, what one bad Oscar speech can do to a career in no time! (see also, Leo, Melissa)

2. OIP.UHNKkCWQvJx0CGpAtJFKyAHaEK?pid=Api&r

3. I shouted out THEATRE OF BLOOD a few posts back; actually had a question about it that you could maybe answer if you wants to go find it.

I recognized Linda Thorsen from a Law & Order episode she guest starred in as the sister of John Schick who was suspected of murder. But my main reason for posting was to note a coincidence: Diana Rigg's New York Times obituary gives her date of birth as July 20, 1938...which is the same day screen icon Natalie Wood was born. I can't imagine her being 82...can you?

I watched the first episode of The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries last night on Britbox. I had seen it about two years ago and in the interim had forgotten some aspects of the plot. But I certainly remembered her performance as Adela Bradley and it is just perfect. 

She has some great dialogue:

• "Marriage is one of those things it's best to get over and done with early in life like the chicken pox."
  • "I've never cared much for the countryside. To me it's a soggy sort of place where animals and birds wander about uncooked."
  • "It's only slander if it's untrue."
  • "There are two things in life you can never do. One, catch a waiter's eye before he's ready to see you. And two, turn back the clock."
  • "I'm never entirely sure if I'm famous or notorious. Someone once said that fame is to live in poverty and end up as a statue. Naturally I prefer to be notorious."
  • "Today a funeral, tomorrow an engagement party. Life goes on, n'est pas?"

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 6.50.48 AM

• Like 2

Wonderful photos, you guys! I loved Diana Rigg. We used to watch her in The Avengers back in the 60's. She was so cool. Always wished she would have hooked up with Steed, but it was not meant to be. If boys wanted to be Steed, the girls wanted to be Mrs. Peel. She was so cool.

On 9/10/2020 at 1:21 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

she's also really good in a surprising role in THEATRE OF BLOOD, a 1973 BRITISH film with VINCENT PRICE that copies the DR PHIBES.

eVen if you're not surprised BY HER SECRET at the end, you still admire the technique employed.

OIP.S1metv9TEz2kq_698chhAQHaEc?pid=Api&r

UNFORTUNATELY, while this film is easy to find, PRINTS OF IT ARE REALLY, REALLY AWFUL- to the point where I am not sure a good one exists. If anyone would like to let me know, feel free to reply. i would hate to think the film has always looked as bad as it did the last time i tried to watch it.

It’s available on Blu Ray. Great quality. Great film.  Tour de force by Ms. Rigg. I bet she had fun doing it. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, alleybj said:

It’s available on Blu Ray. Great quality. Great film.  Tour de force by Ms. Rigg. I bet she had fun doing it. 

i watched part of it last night on youtube and she has a TREMENDOUS serious scene when she is being interviewed by a detective early on in the film.

It seems like just yesterday that she was hosting Masterpiece Theater, and maybe only a few days before, she was my girl crush.  My sister and I used to play Avengers in the backyard.  She was Steed (she always liked the guy roles), and I was Mrs. Peel.  My dream was to grow up tall and slender so I could wear that catsuit and all those other mod clothes.  No such luck -- I stopped growing at 5'2".  She was a classy lady and a great actress.  I think I enjoyed her most in Bleak House.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 9/10/2020 at 7:48 PM, EricJ said:

No, Golan/Globus's theatrical CannonTales version (now reappearing, after MIA status on video, thanks to Cannon joining the MGM/Orion Orphans on streaming):

(Vanessa Redgrave was in the Shelley Duvall version.)

And FWIW, some of the CannonTales--particularly Rebecca deMornay in "Beauty & the Beast" and  a singing/dancing Christopher Walken as "Puss in Boots"--are actually Not Too Darn Bad, for their 80's-Menahem-Golan budgets, an indescribable "Red Riding Hood" notwithstanding.  Rigg does pretty well as the thrice-disguised Queen, and certainly has a lot more fun in a low-budget kiddy movie than her onscreen jury-duty boredom in The Great Muppet Caper (1981).

Speaking of multiple disguises, I feel a shoutout is due toward Rigg's performance with Vincent Price in Theatre of Blood (1973).

Patrick Macnee reportedly hated the Mother addition also (Steed actually works for a superior??), and not just because the character was a complete cipher that the writers could never define whether he was a clueless buffoon or Mycroft Holmes.  I'm easier on Tara King, though, since, like the change of classic Doctor Who's impulsive female companions, they took the trouble to make her a completely different personality than Mrs. Peel...From Leela, to Zoe.

Nice to know MacNee hated MOTHER too! :D

On 9/11/2020 at 7:43 AM, Hibi said:

Yes, I think that may be the one. Emma is lured away by some adversary and has to use her wits to foil the villain in both episodes. Steed is only in the beginning and end of the 2 episodes.

There are three episodes in which Emma Peel was the focus and John Steed was not there:

The House That Jack Built Season 4 Episode 23 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0516915/?ref_=ttep_ep23

Epic Season 5  Episode 11 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0516836/?ref_=ttep_ep11

The Joker Season 5 Episode 15 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0516917/?ref_=ttep_ep15

The only episode which comes to my mind which was the opposite in that Emma Peel was not present to any great degree is:

The Girl from Auntie  Season 4 Episode 17 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0516908/?ref_=ttep_ep17

• Thanks 2
On 9/10/2020 at 4:54 PM, Hibi said:

I HATED the Mother character they added to the show also.

The addition of that character completely changed the motif of the series. 

John Steed was an English Gentleman. That was all the reason and excuse that he ever needed for stepping in to right wrongs or prevent disasters. He had a network of friends and associates who assisted and advised him just as he often called on Dr. Keel/Cathy Gale/Emma Peel to aide and abet his efforts. He had many government security clearances but those could be explained by his belonging to the right clubs and having the right friends in high places.

Introducing Mother created a hierarchy of authority and reduced John Steed to being a government employee the same as the clerks at the DMV. He was no longer a proper and right-thinking gentleman serving Queen and Country because that is what true gentlemen do. He became just another worker in a large and ungainly government and one has to wonder if he ever worried about paying his rent or had to delay taking his umbrella in for a lube and polish because he was a little short that month.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, EricJ said:

Although Jim Broadbent was actually a better Mother in the '98 Fiennes/Thurman movie, IMO.

As I've never watched it, from what I've heard of the film, that might've been about the only thing in it that might've been better than in the television series.

(...it got terrible reviews as I recall)