Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Dame Diana Rigg (1938-2020)

5 hours ago, SansFin said:

There are three episodes in which Emma Peel was the focus and John Steed was not there:

The House That Jack Built Season 4 Episode 23 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0516915/?ref_=ttep_ep23

Epic Season 5  Episode 11 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0516836/?ref_=ttep_ep11

The Joker Season 5 Episode 15 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0516917/?ref_=ttep_ep15

The only episode which comes to my mind which was the opposite in that Emma Peel was not present to any great degree is:

The Girl from Auntie  Season 4 Episode 17 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0516908/?ref_=ttep_ep17

One episode I remember that may have had minimal Diana Rigg in it was "The Superlative 7"?  Brian Blessed and Charlotte Rampling were both in that one as guest stars.  

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Dargo said:

As I've never watched it, from what I've heard of the film, that might've been about the only thing in it that might've been better than in the television series.

(...it got terrible reviews as I recall)

Mostly from people who'd never seen the show, knew literally nothing about it except for two well-dressed 60's-fashion secret agents, and weren't accustomed to the show's um...lighter tones.  (Like Sean Connery's rather, er, unusual disguises for holding a masked villain-meeting.)
And, it didn't help that a nervous Warner chopped a half hour of coherence out of the plot, as if audiences weren't baffled enough already..

The best we can say about Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman is that they meant well, although Fiennes was too mannered to be Steed, and Thurman was too snarly to be Peel.  But, there were the occasional moments where the movie "got" the tone of the original series:

• Thanks 1

granted, it has been a VERY long time, but I saw it in the theater and then again at least once, and GOD HELP ME, I was fine with the late nineties AVENGERS movie. even kind of enjoyed it. THAT SAID, I have still never seen any of the TV episodes.

i also liked the 1995 DIABOLIQUE remake.

so, I mean, come at me if you will, i guess i deserve it...but keep in mind i have seen a lot of terrible movies, so I'm kind of inured in some respects and surprisingly forgiving in others.

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

granted, it has been a VERY long time, but I saw it in the theater and then again at least once, and GOD HELP ME, I was fine with the late nineties AVENGERS movie. even kind of enjoyed it. THAT SAID, I have still never seen any of the TV episodes.

Well, since they're only streaming on Amazon pay-VOD, and most of A&E's B&W DVD seasons are almost OOP, except for the one color season on Blu-ray, that's understandable.  😠

Nothing but clips on YouTube, though:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krouEsm9JvA

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Calamity said:

I’ve never seen the show (or movie) but do have the Emma Peel episodes on DVD. 

The library also has sets for 1962-1964 (with Honor Blackman). Should those be watched before moving on to the ones with Diana Rigg

Not necessarily. ABC began airing the black-and-white Dame Diana episodes in America in the spring of 1966, and viewers enjoyed the series as it was presented. The color episodes began airing on ABC in January 1967.

By the way, the classic 1966 chessboard intro was filmed specifically for American audiences.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, EricJ said:

Well, since they're only streaming on Amazon pay-VOD, and most of A&E's B&W DVD seasons are almost OOP, except for the one color season on Blu-ray, that's understandable.  😠

Nothing but clips on YouTube, though:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krouEsm9JvA

I know right? I went searching this weekend and hit brick walls. Maybe I will check out Dailymotion though, it’s gotten very peculiar in the last few months though.

3 hours ago, jakeem said:

Not necessarily. ABC began airing the black-and-white Dame Diana episodes in America in the spring of 1966, and viewers enjoyed the series as it was presented. The color episodes began airing on ABC in January 1967.

By the way, the classic 1966 chessboard intro was filmed specifically for American audiences.

Rather free wheeling with their chess rules aren’t they? I think that American opening scene  would’ve been better if they had had a RIGG move like the queen (ie all over) and MACNEE zigzag like a Knight. 
Hope they played those bongo players a decent wage though. They worked overtime on that.

• Haha 2

Did Rigg's episodes consist of 2 seasons in England? In America it was brought on as a replacement series every season. Starting in Jan or around there. I think there were 3 seasons in the U.S. (with Mrs. Peel) Rigg's last episode aired midway in the 3rd season, I think. There were some episodes with Tara after that. Then another run the next year.

i caught the rest of THEATRE OF BLOOD this weekend. RIGG (with a bad haircut)  and PRICE are excellent, but the story copies DR PHIBES too closely while missing out on ALL the humor and wit...although there is one TERRIFIC moment where PRICE emerges as a HAIRDRESSER with an AFRO and hip-huggers and introduces himself with "I'm Butch."

theatre-of-blood.jpg

a lot of scenes in this movie are too dark- literally and figuratively- for some reason a lot of the scenes are very underlit...and (spoiler- except not really, i think you should know this upfront going in) there is a truly disgusting scene where ROBERT MORLEY is fed his pet poodles in homage to the scene from TITUS ANDRONICUS and I came quite close to BARFING. (it really does go to far, even for the 70's)

Rigg was in two seasons/series. Blackman was in two seasons/series, though she shared her first season

with other actresses. Thorson was in one season/series. Much of the first s/s is "lost."  I remember first

seeing The Avengers on ABC when it ran the Emma Peel color episodes. I think they were on Friday nights,

though I wouldn't swear to it.

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

a lot of scenes in this movie are too dark- literally and figuratively- for some reason a lot of the scenes are very underlit...and (spoiler- except not really, i think you should know this upfront going in) there is a truly disgusting scene where ROBERT MORLEY is fed his pet poodles in homage to the scene from TITUS ANDRONICUS and I came quite close to BARFING. (it really does go to far, even for the 70's)

i have some secondhand film reference books from the early 80s that give detailed synopses of films. I've had them since I was about 10 or 11 (I was a bit of a child prodigy when it came to film research, although I'm past the point to be called that now). And I clearly recall reading about Theatre of Blood and about that scene with Robert Morley and I felt sick to my stomach.

• Thanks 1

I found Robert Morley a sheer delight as a big poof constantly coddling and  calling out to his two "babies" (his poodles) in Theatre of Blood. As for his death scene, while I can understand some finding it too much, to me it was all so overplayed by Vincent Price and so tongue-in-cheek that I didn't take it seriously enough to be bothered by it, the filmmakers' intentions obviously. But it's a delicate balance to carry off a scene like this successfully because it could so easily have become spectacularly gross, especially for a dog lover.  For me it's the idea behind the scene that is sickening rather than anything presented in the very dark humour scene itself.

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

i have some secondhand film reference books from the early 80s that give detailed synopses of films. I've had them since I was about 10 or 11 (I was a bit of a child prodigy when it came to film research, although I'm past the point to be called that now). And I clearly recall reading about Theatre of Blood and about that scene with Robert Morley and I felt sick to my stomach.

You have to see the scene to properly judge it, not just read a synopses of it.

15 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

you and i would probably have gotten on really well as children before BECOMING MORTAL ENEMIES over a difference of opinion, then eventually friends again.

I have noticed over time that THE ONE KIND OF DOG THAT YOU CAN KILL IN A MOVIE AND NOT ALIENATE THE AUDIENCE IS A POODLE, honestly, I think homophobia is in part to blame.

17 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have noticed over time that THE ONE KIND OF DOG THAT YOU CAN KILL IN A MOVIE AND NOT ALIENATE THE AUDIENCE IS A POODLE, honestly, I think homophobia is in part to blame.

No, it's that obscenely-overgroomed poodles were the Paris Hilton purse-dogs of their day--Generally associated with the lunatics that fawned over them.

And certainly more deserving than the chihuahuas that it became the cliche' to injure after "There's Something About Mary".

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

No, it's that obscenely-overgroomed poodles were the Paris Hilton purse-dogs of their day--Generally associated with the lunatics that fawned over them.

And certainly more deserving than the chihuahuas that it became the cliche' to injure after "There's Something About Mary".

maybe i'm just prejudiced because, while i don't find POODLES to be attractive dogs (that runny black eyeliner thing they have especially), growing up my neighbors had a 125 year old poodle named CLOUDY who was deaf and blind, but exceedingly friendly (when he would bump into you by mistake, that is)

I guess when it comes to dogs, we all take our personal experiences along.

I DESPISE GERMAN SHEPHERDS and GOLDEN RETRIEVERS because I knew people who had BAD ONES.

15 hours ago, TomJH said:

Wow! What a thoroughly engaging, entertaining, charming and unpretentious lady Miss Rigg appears to be here! Thanks for posting this, Tom.

(...but now that you have, I've found myself once again falling in love with her and even more saddened by her recent passing)

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Dargo said:

Wow! What a thoroughly engaging, entertaining, charming and unpretentious lady Miss Rigg appears to be here! Thanks for posting this, Tom.

(...but now that you have, I've found myself once again falling in love with her and even more saddened by her recent passing)

It was lovely hearing her heart felt tribute to Patrick Macnee and amusing anecdotes about Vincent Price and Coral Browne. A lovely lady. Yes, I was in love with Mrs. Peel, too, Dargo.

• Like 1