• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Dame Diana Rigg (1938-2020)

Just now, spence said:

Rigg on tv's THE AVENGERS was my very first CRUSH as a wee lad

Just now, spence said:

Rigg on tv's THE AVENGERS was my very first CRUSH as a wee lad

who saw the awful '98 theatrical version with UMA THURMAN & RALPH FIENNES?

Just now, spence said:

& kinda liked JULIE NEWMAR'S CARWOMAN on BATMAN as well, but not as much  Besides PFEIFFER had her beat as CATWOMAN   SOOO SEXY & MORE BEAUTIFUL!

I watched Quick-Quick Slow Death this evening,  a delightfully droll episode of The Avengers, much of it set in a terpsichorean school where identity swaps are made to bring foreign agents into England. There are an assortment of engaging eccentrics to be found here, including an Italian accented shoe maker (who at one point loses his accent) who is sweaty faced passionate about Mrs. Peel's feet. The beautiful Eunice Gayson (Sylvia Trench in Dr No and From Russia With Love) plays the head of the dance school who hires Mrs. Peel as a new teacher at her studio while John Steed poses as a Mr. Lonelyhearts new student. Larry Cross is a hoot as the inebriated dance studio band conductor (the "band' being a tape recording).

There are many Avengers episodes that fans cite as favourites and Quick-Quick Slow Death has always been one of mine. While the episode has a light hearted larky tone and never takes itself seriously, it's the performances that add so much to the delight to be found here. Patrick Macnee's elegance and Diana Rigg's style and impish humour are both at their peak here.

QuickQuickSlowDeath-montage.jpg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, spence said:

& kinda liked JULIE NEWMAR'S CARWOMAN on BATMAN as well, but not as much  Besides PFEIFFER had her beat as CATWOMAN   SOOO SEXY & MORE BEAUTIFUL!

Guess nobody saw that awful version i wrote of it only made $23m

1 hour ago, spence said:

There is a very rare shot of NATALIE dressed up like her AVENGERS role

Anybody else ever see that shot of NATALIE WOOD in the leather outfit?  She was sooo tiny at only 5'0 too

Just now, spence said:

Anybody else ever see that shot of NATALIE WOOD in the leather outfit?  She was sooo tiny at only 5'0 too

She's smoking a cigarette with a holder on it, a throwback from her SINATRA days where she started smoking them that way

10 hours ago, Terri Williams Palos said:

I always expect TCM to have a Tribute Spotlight.  Or at least a Tribute page.  Have I missed it for Dame Diana Rigg?  Bummer to have lost another great actress...  Wikipedia says she has several posthumous releases forthcoming... 

They probably dont see her as a big enough film star. Happens a lot. I wouldn't hold your breath. Hopefully, she'll be in the year end tribute.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

They probably dont see her as a big enough film star. Happens a lot. I wouldn't hold your breath. Hopefully, she'll be in the year end tribute.

I am SURE that she will be in the year end tribute, but I’m OK with TCM not doing a special in memoriam segment *just* for her, (no offense to anyone intended, But she was a largely a television star.)
However, I have got to mention that with the possible exception of Olivia de Havilland and ***DORIS DAY***
I do not recall the last time a thread about the passing of a celebrity stayed around for so long on the boards and had so much feedback.
I mean, we stopped talking about Kirk Douglas after like four days or so.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am SURE that she will be in the year end tribute, but I’m OK with TCM not doing a special in memoriam segment *just* for her, (no offense to anyone intended, But she was a largely a television star.)
However, I have got to mention that with the possible exception of Olivia de Havilland and DIRIS DAY, I do not recall the last time a thread about the passing of a celebrity stayed around for so long on the boards and had so much feedback.
I mean, we stopped talking about Kirk Douglas after like four days or so.

The Avengers series had a big impact and has stayed with people all these years. I don't think DIRIS would be pleased with your misspelling! :D

Okay, I saw The Avengers movie when it came out. Naturally I went because I was a fan of the TV

show and was curious to see how the movie would play it. I don't recall much about it as it was

over twenty years ago. While it wasn't a total disaster it was a major disappointment. Somebody

could have made a better movie, but it would have been difficult to equal the quality of the TV

show in a 90 minute film. I would like to see it again just for the heck of it.

I bought it as a bargain priced DVD at Half Price Books last year and watched it for the first time ever. I found it very stylish and visually engaging, but extremely confusing. My understanding is the film was pretty much cut in half after poor test screenings. 

22 hours ago, TomJH said:

I watched Quick-Quick Slow Death this evening,  a delightfully droll episode of The Avengers, much of it set in a terpsichorean school where identity swaps are made to bring foreign agents into England. There are an assortment of engaging eccentrics to be found here, including an Italian accented shoe maker (who at one point loses his accent) who is sweaty faced passionate about Mrs. Peel's feet. The beautiful Eunice Gayson (Sylvia Trench in Dr No and From Russia With Love) plays the head of the dance school who hires Mrs. Peel as a new teacher at her studio while John Steed poses as a Mr. Lonelyhearts new student. Larry Cross is a hoot as the inebriated dance studio band conductor (the "band' being a tape recording).

And the climax where our heroes and the baddies (hoping to exchange foreign spies with the identities of disposable lonelyhearts clients) "change partners" while battling it out behind the scenes of the big school dance-formal.  😄

It's one of the silliest tongue-in-cheek episodes of the B&W era, ahead of The Gravediggers:
Where baddies hope to take advantage of an old ex-train-conductor enthusiast, with his miniature-railway setup on his estate, as part of their nefarious sabotage plot...With Mrs. Peel once more in appropriate jeopardy:

On 9/17/2020 at 10:55 AM, spence said:

(The...folks who posted about it, two pages back?)

• Haha 2
20 hours ago, Terri Williams Palos said:

I always expect TCM to have a Tribute Spotlight.  Or at least a Tribute page.  Have I missed it for Dame Diana Rigg?  Bummer to have lost another great actress...  Wikipedia says she has several posthumous releases forthcoming... 

maybe because the network thought of her mainly as a tv actress

I watched another couple of Avengers episodes I hadn't seen in years. Dial A Deadly Number has Steed and Mrs. Peel investigating an investment company which had six chairmen suddenly die. This will involve electronically adjusted "bleepers" in suits of the victims activated by a phone call that will trigger a thin steel rod plunging into their hearts leaving no sign behind outside a slight bruise.

There's an enjoyably creepy performance by John Carson as the ingenious electronics expert given the murder assignments who, as a memento of his crimes, keeps a clock frozen at the time each victim died. Among other things he will plant a small bomb in Steed's watch, triggered to explode the next time he opens it to check the time.

Mrs. Peel will start wearing her leather cat suit towards the end so you know some action involving her is to come. There will also be much wine tasting among wine aficiondos, with Steed not only able to tell the vintage and its year but also the field from which the grapes came. It's all engaging fun set in the London business world.

One of my very favourite silly moments of the series occurs at the end. The climax takes place in a wine cellar. After the villains have been disposed of Steed and Mrs. Peel stop to share a wine. Suddenly one of the heavies fires a bullet at them. Steed shakes his wine bottle and, taking careful aim with the sealed bottle, fires a wine cork at the bad guy, knocking him out. The two then nonchalantly resume their drink, Steed commenting that it was an "adaptable" wine.

Screen%252520Shot%2525202014-05-24%25252

Too Many Christmas Trees is one of the more bizarre and intriguing episodes, involving Steed having a Christmas nightmare that involves a creepy looking Santa Claus, the dream ending with Steed finding a secret agent he knows dead. The next day he reads in the paper that that agent did die. Soon he and Mrs. Peel are invited to a large house with a Christmas Dickens motif and telepathic games being played at Steed's expense.

Too Many Christmas Trees is also the only post-Honor Blackman episode that makes reference to her character in the series, along with a sly reference to the current James Bond franchise. At one moment Steed and Mrs. Peel are opening Christmas cards addressed to Steed. Mrs. Peel reads one of the card's inscriptions out loud, "Best wishes for the future. Cathy." Steed then looks at the card. "Mrs.Gayle," he smiles, "How nice of her to remember me. What can she be doing in Fort Knox?"

avengers+Screen+Shot+2015-12-18+at+11.33

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Too Many Christmas Trees is also the only post-Honor Blackman episode that makes reference to her character in the series, along with a sly reference to the current James Bond franchise. At one moment Steed and Mrs. Peel are opening Christmas cards addressed to Steed. Mrs. Peel reads one of the card's inscriptions out loud, "Best wishes for the future. Cathy." Steed then looks at the card. "Mrs.Gayle," he smiles, "How nice of her to remember me. What can she be doing in Fort Knox?"

avengers+Screen+Shot+2015-12-18+at+11.33

The coolest thing about "Too Many Christmas Trees" is that Mervyn Johns -- the father of Glynis -- appears as a publisher obsessed with Charles Dickens.

A nice touch when you consider that Johns played Bob Cratchit in the 1951 Alastair Sim film version of "Scrooge." It also featured Patrick Macnee as the young Jacob Marley.

See the source image

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, EricJ said:

And the climax where our heroes and the baddies (hoping to exchange foreign spies with the identities of disposable lonelyhearts clients) "change partners" while battling it out behind the scenes of the big school dance-formal.  😄

It's one of the silliest tongue-in-cheek episodes of the B&W era, ahead of The Gravediggers:
Where baddies hope to take advantage of an old ex-train-conductor enthusiast, with his miniature-railway setup on his estate, as part of their nefarious sabotage plot...With Mrs. Peel once more in appropriate jeopardy:

(The...folks who posted about it, two pages back?)

Thank you for posting that clip, that was fascinating, And some incredible editing and photography too. 
I would’ve guessed this was a feature film and not a television show.

35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I’m curious, as an AVENGERS virgin Who has never seen a single episode but is looking at Renting some episodes off of Prime,

are there any episodes that you hard-core fans would particularly recommend?

Diana Rigg was in 51 episodes of "The Avengers".

Memorable ones for me were:  The Cybernauts (ep. 3), Castle De'Ath (ep. 5), Too Many Christmas Trees (ep. 13), Quick-Quick Slow Death (ep. 19), A Touch of Brimstone (ep. 21), How to Succeed...at Murder (ep. 25), Never, Never Say Die (ep. 36), Something Nasty in the Nursery (ep. 40), You Have Just Been Murdered (ep. 47), Murdersville (ep. 49), The Forget-Me Knot (ep. 51).

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Diana Rigg was in 51 episodes of "The Avengers".

Memorable ones for me were:  The Cybernauts (ep. 3), Castle De'Ath (ep. 5), Too Many Christmas Trees (ep. 13), Quick-Quick Slow Death (ep. 19), A Touch of Brimstone (ep. 21), How to Succeed...at Murder (ep. 25), Never, Never Say Die (ep. 36), Something Nasty in the Nursery (ep. 40), You Have Just Been Murdered (ep. 47), Murdersville (ep. 49), The Forget-Me Knot (ep. 51).

My memory of the series with Mrs. Peel is that I enjoyed the first black and white season more than the second colour one. So far I've just been re-watching episodes from the first season, though that will change, I'm sure. If memory serves me correctly all of Diana Rigg's leather cat outfit episodes were in the black and white season. Diana was happy to get away from those outfits which she found sticky and uncomfortable, much to the chagrin of many male viewers, I'm sure.

• Like 2