Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Dame Diana Rigg (1938-2020)

On 9/25/2020 at 10:28 PM, kingrat said:

I'm not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, but Diana Rigg starred in a British mini-series called Black Widow in which she played the possessive mother and mother-in-law from hell. This was shown on PBS, probably on Masterpiece Theater, in perhaps the 1980s. Quite enjoyable, as I recall.

Are you talking about Mother Love? I think that's what it was called on PBS when it was shown. Was there a title change? Sounds too similar.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, EricJ said:

(And, um....WHY were we linking Worst Witch, again?  Context helps.)

Well Eric, I'm pretty sure Lorna posted that primarily because it starred Diana Rigg, AND I might add once again, IN the prime of her loveliness...

DcXx_lAWAAAPUvE.jpg

• Thanks 1

In This House of Brede is available on YouTube in a gorgeous print. Outstanding cinematography by Chris Challis, excellent direction by George Schaefer and music by Peter Matz. That means there's no need to shell out $60-100 for a DVD of this made-for-TV movie, which looks like a movie intended for theatrical presentation. Diana Rigg plays a businesswoman who becomes a Benedictine nun. Great performances by all concerned, including Denis Quilley as the married lover Diana leaves; Judi Bowker as a teenage girl who sees Diana as an ideal mother; the young and beautiful Nicholas Clay as the boy Judi leaves behind; Pamela Brown as Dame Agnes, the nun who doubts Diana's vocation; and Gwen Watford is simply luminous as Dame Catherine, who exemplifies all that is best in this religious tradition.

Mother Love is indeed the correct name of the BBC miniseries I remembered (thank you, Hibi!), with James Wilby as Diana Rigg's unfortunate son and David McCallum as her ex-husband. Nothing could be further removed from In This House of Brede, but Dame Diana shines in both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The audio and visuals may not be the best here but it's apparent from this camcorder, I assume, image of Diana Rigg's 1987 stage performance in FOLLIES in London that the lady was a pretty dynamic musical comedy performer (not to mention sexy as heck).

Twenty years after filming the last Avengers she still had it, and then some.