Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Update--

I finished watching SIN TAKES A HOLIDAY (1930). I thought it was fantastic and gave it a high score on the IMDb.

Supposedly 34 different sets were built for the production, and it's obvious they (meaning Pathe) poured a lot of money into it. One set I think was reused for THE ROYAL BED(1931) because it looked awfully familiar. A front entrance hall with a large wide staircase.

It occurred to me how much Constance Bennett is a fashionista in her movies. I think she had her own clothing line at some point. Even when she is playing a downtrodden secretary at the beginning, before marrying into money, she adds these little decorate touches to her clothing and she wears very striking hats.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.39.06 PM

I loved Kenneth MacKenna as the lead, and I read up on him. Seems he was married to Kay Francis around this time, the two of them having made a film together at Paramount also in 1930. He became a director at Fox and then a story editor at MGM but still occasionally acted on stage and in films. He works very well with Ms. Bennett. A year earlier he had headlined a picture with her sister, Joan.

Basil Rathbone is playing the second male lead and it's a heel type role. He is not exactly villainous but he's definitely amoral. You really don't want his character to end up stealing Bennett away...at least I did not...and was certainly glad she was in MacKenna's arms at the end of the last scene.

Supporting players were fine, including ZaSu Pitts in what was probably for her a rather thankless assignment. Again the sets, clothing and the lead stars were all fantastic. And while the middle part dragged a bit, I thought the story overall was structured pretty well. The emotional/dramatic payoff in the last act was immensely satisfying.  

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.38.04 PM

• Thanks 1

SHARYN MOFFETT

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.45.26 AM

MY PAL WOLF (1944)
THE BODY SNATCHER (1945)
THE FALCON IN SAN FRANCISCO (1945)
CHILD OF DIVORCE (1946)
THE LOCKET (1946)
BANJO (1947)
THE JUDGE STEPS OUT (1948)
MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE (1948)

GUY KIBBEE

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.38.50 AM

THE CONQUERORS (1932)
M'LISS (1936)
DON'T TELL THE WIFE (1937)
THE BIG SHOT (1937)
RIDING ON AIR (1937)
JOY OF LIVING (1938)
SCATTERGOOD BAINES (1941)
SCATTERGOOD PULLS THE STRINGS (1941)
SCATTERGOOD MEETS BROADWAY (1941)
SCATTERGOOD RIDES HIGH (1942)
SCATTERGOOD SURVIVES A MURDER (1942)
CINDERELLA SWINGS IT (1943)
FORT APACHE (1948)

• Like 1

MORGAN CONWAY

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.42.51 AM

CRIME RING (1938)
THE SPELLBINDER (1939)
SUED FOR LIBEL (1939)
THE SAINT TAKES OVER (1940)
MILLIONAIRES IN PRISON (1940)
SING YOUR WORRIES AWAY (1942)
DICK TRACY (1945)
DICK TRACY VS. CUEBALL (1946)
VACATION IN RENO (1946)
BADMAN'S TERRITORY (1946)
THE TRUTH ABOUT MURDER (1946)

BARBARA PEPPER

screen

THE BIG GAME (1936)
MUMMY'S BOYS (1936)
M'LISS (1936)
WANTED! JANE TURNER (1936)
WINTERSET (1936)
FORTY NAUGHTY GIRLS (1937)
TOO MANY WIVES (1937)
YOU CAN'T BUY LUCK (1937)
THE BIG SHOT (1937)
YOU CAN'T BEAT LOVE (1937)
MUSIC FOR MADAME (1937)
THREE SONS (1939)
BACHELOR MOTHER (1939)
MY FAVORITE SPY (1942)
SO THIS IS WASHINGTON (1943)

• Like 1
On 9/19/2020 at 2:34 PM, TopBilled said:

TOM BROWN

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.57.24 AM

SYNCOPATION (1929)
HELL'S HIGHWAY (1932)
TWO ALONE (1934)
ANNE OF GREEN GABLES (1934)
FRECKLES (1935)

OK, you brought it up. Where IS Syncopation (1929)??? It has never been shown by TCM but as far as I know it is credited as the first RKO film ever made, so they should have the rights. If not, then who does? I actually got a bootleg copy of it 13 years ago, and it doesn't have the traditional RKO logo at the beginning. Is it still considered an FBO film? The elements on this one have to be OK because the DVD copy of what appeared to be a VHS tape looked very good.  I think I heard somebody on TCM one time say that "Street Girl" (1929) is the first film considered an RKO fillm, and every time TCM does an anniversary tribute to RKO they do show that film and they show it first. Going way back on TCM history and my memory here so I could be wrong. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

OK, you brought it up. Where IS Syncopation (1929)??? It has never been shown by TCM but as far as I know it is credited as the first RKO film ever made, so they should have the rights. If not, then who does? I actually got a bootleg copy of it 13 years ago, and it doesn't have the traditional RKO logo at the beginning. Is it still considered an FBO film? The elements on this one have to be OK because the DVD copy of what appeared to be a VHS tape looked very good.  I think I heard somebody on TCM one time say that "Street Girl" (1929) is the first film considered an RKO fillm, and every time TCM does an anniversary tribute to RKO they do show that film and they show it first. Going way back on TCM history and my memory here so I could be wrong. 

From what I have read, SYNCOPATION (1929) was the first RKO release, but the second one the newly formed studio produced. The first production was STREET GIRL (1929) which had its release in theaters delayed and premiered four months after SYNCOPATION (1929).

As I remarked in an earlier post, TCM does play the 1942 remake of SYNCOPATION which stars Jackie Cooper & Bonita Granville. 

No idea why they don't show the original. Maybe there are legal rights related to one of the songs that appeared in the first film but was cut from the second film. Just a theory.

Just now, TopBilled said:

From what I have read, SYNCOPATION (1929) was the first RKO release, but the second one the newly formed studio produced. The first production was STREET GIRL (1929) which had its release in theaters delayed and premiered four months after SYNCOPATION (1929).

As I remarked in an earlier post, TCM does play the 1942 remake of SYNCOPATION which stars Jackie Cooper & Bonita Granville. 

No idea why they don't show the original. Maybe there are legal rights related to one of the songs that appeared in the first film but was cut from the second film. Just a theory.

The plots are completely different and they'd have to be because the plot of 1929 Syncopation would make no sense in 1942.  Maybe its the rights. Maybe I should not have admitted to having a bootleg of the film from 13 years ago. Maybe the great great grandson of the director will show up at my door and demand 200 thousand dollars. I dunno. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

The plots are completely different and they'd have to be because the plot of 1929 Syncopation would make no sense in 1942.  Maybe its the rights. Maybe I should not have admitted to having a bootleg of the film from 13 years ago. Maybe the great great grandson of the director will show up at my door and demand 200 thousand dollars. I dunno. 

I am sure they made the story more "contemporary" to wartime audiences.

In terms of why the '29 version can't be shown, it probably has to do with the music. Something contained in the first film is causing a copyright issue. 

Hold on to the copy you have since it may not ever be widely available.

• Like 1
Just now, TopBilled said:

I am sure they made the story more "contemporary" to wartime audiences. It probably has to do with the music. Something contained in the first film is causing a copyright issue. 

Hold on to the copy you have since it may not ever be widely available.

Yep. I am somewhat like the guy I read about who died in 2004 and left behind 4000 VHS tapes recorded at low speed with 12000 movies on them. His son went through them all and kept some of them because they had - at the time - unavailable movies on them. I only have DVDs and I have no kids so I don't know what will become of everything after I'm gone.  There are pieces of the 29 version of Syncopation on youtube. In particular "Do Do Something " with Dorothy Lee singing a duet with Morton Downey Sr.  This person's channel is so old there are no ads! 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Yep. I am somewhat like the guy I read about who died in 2004 and left behind 4000 VHS tapes recorded at low speed with 12000 movies on them. His son went through them all and kept some of them because they had - at the time - unavailable movies on them. I only have DVDs and I have no kids so I don't know what will become of everything after I'm gone.  There are pieces of the 29 version of Syncopation on youtube. In particular "Do Do Something " with Dorothy Lee singing a duet with Morton Downey Sr.  This person's channel is so old there are no ads! 

Interesting. Well there may be a way for you to archive the rare films you've collected, to put them online for educational purposes. 

I just looked up the writing credits on both versions of SYNCOPATION. The 1929 version has different writers than the 1942 version, so maybe they had to start from scratch in 1942? Maybe Gene Markey, the author of the novel upon which it was originally based (Stepping High), refused to loan them the use of the story again. 

It's possible all the studio owned was the title, not the material. So they were able to re-use the title. It would seem SYNCOPATION (1942) is not technically a remake but a whole new product inspired by the original.