Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 minute ago, spence said:

what did you think of loren by the way?

Glamorous. But as I said, she did not act like a movie star. Whatever that means, right?

Something very interesting about her-- one day on campus she went to get lunch with her son. There was a very long line, all these kids ahead of them. The manager recognized her and was going to have her come to the front of the line and take her upstairs to the fine dining area. But she refused to cut in front of everyone else. She was willing to wait her turn. I was impressed by how modest and humble she seemed. 

• Like 1
Just now, spence said:

IT'S ONLY BEST PICTURE WINNERS WERE CIMARRON & BEST YRS OF OUR LIVES, but that was also GOLDWYN

THE INFORMER CAME CLOSE THOUGH

• Like 1
Just now, TopBilled said:

Glamorous. But as I said, she did not act like a movie star. Whatever that means, right?

Something very interesting about her-- one day on campus she went to get lunch with her son. There was a very long line, all these kids ahead of them. The manager recognized her and was going to have her come to the front of the line and take her upstairs to the fine dining area. But she refused to cut in front of everyone else. She was willing to wait her turn. I was impressed by how modest and humble she seemed. 

YOU MEAN A LADY, BUT POLITE

• Like 1
Just now, spence said:

IT'S ONLY BEST PICTURE WINNERS WERE CIMARRON & BEST YRS OF OUR LIVES, but that was also GOLDWYN

Yes...I am not including the Goldwyn pictures or the Disney pictures on my lists of RKO films. Basically RKO handled distribution for them. So I don't consider those to be "real" RKO films. 

Yes...I am not including the Goldwyn pictures or the Disney pictures on my lists of RKO films. Basically RKO handled distribution for them. So I don't consider those to be "real" RKO films. 

So, then only CIMARRON is the one & dated now (**1/2-out of four)

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

YOU MEAN IN ACTING LIKE A ZSA ZSA GABOR

Just now, spence said:

So, then only CIMARRON is the one & dated now (**1/2-out of four)

I was reading some user reviews on CIMARRON (1931) yesterday on the TCM database. Some people seem to prefer it over the 1960 remake. I rather enjoy it. Dunne, Dix and Oliver are all wonderful in it.

Just now, spence said:

YOU MEAN IN ACTING LIKE A ZSA ZSA GABOR

she wasn't snotty, right?   Thats the other astonishing thing about NATALIE, she was incredibally down to earth & essentially a hippie later on

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

I was reading some user reviews on CIMARRON (1931) yesterday on the TCM database. Some people seem to prefer it over the 1960 remake. I rather enjoy it. Dunne, Dix and Oliver are all wonderful in it.

maltin only gives it a (**1/2) & insits Dix work is overripe

1 minute ago, spence said:

she wasn't snotty, right?   Thats the other astonishing thing about NATALIE, she was incredibally down to earth & essentially a hippie later on

She also worked for Metropolitan Ministries toward her end

35 minutes ago, spence said:

who are the top stars you wish you'd seen in person?

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF SINATRA BY THE WAY?  He never took acting lessons & made 58 pictures

2 minutes ago, spence said:

She also worked for Metropolitan Ministries toward her end

& when she was talking, she would immediately stop if someone else began tal;king, plus, she felt she owed it to her fans to go out in public calling it her BADGE to put on, Redford hated it, but she'd remind him you owe it to them   WB's would have her go out to premieres and such with a known gay guy TAB HUNTER & people don't

Charismatic. Versatile. A true star.

ALRIGHT!

Just now, spence said:

& when she was talking, she would immediately stop if someone else began tal;king, plus, she felt she owed it to her fans to go out in public calling it her BADGE to put on, Redford hated it, but she'd remind him you owe it to them   WB's would have her go out to premieres and such with a known gay guy TAB HUNTER & people don't

ALRIGHT!

if the WOF was really on the level, he should have 4 STARS vs 3  Same goes for Dino & for some reason MADONNA doesn't want one, they were really creul to her in the beginning & in NYC  Her welcome-(don't think she'd mind this) to NYC was getting raped at only age 19 on a rooftop, then having a '38 put to her head on another time  She used to get robbed so much she left the damn door open after awhile

2 minutes ago, spence said:

if the WOF was really on the level, he should have 4 STARS vs 3  Same goes for Dino & for some reason MADONNA doesn't want one, they were really creul to her in the beginning & in NYC  Her welcome-(don't think she'd mind this) to NYC was getting raped at only age 19 on a rooftop, then having a '38 put to her head on another time  She used to get robbed so much she left the damn door open after awhile

5 minutes ago, spence said:

& when she was talking, she would immediately stop if someone else began tal;king, plus, she felt she owed it to her fans to go out in public calling it her BADGE to put on, Redford hated it, but she'd remind him you owe it to them   WB's would have her go out to premieres and such with a known gay guy TAB HUNTER & people don't believe me when all but NATALIE knew RAYMOND BURR was actually gay, she was actually in love with him, he'd read to her at his house daily & she was shattered when she found out

ALRIGHT!

11 minutes ago, spence said:

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF SINATRA BY THE WAY?  He never took acting lessons & made 58 pictures

MY ESSENTIAL SINATRA JAZZ>

Songs>IT WAS A VERY GOOD YEAR

IN THE WEE SMALL HRS

SUMMER WIND

& HIS FLIX

SOME CAME RUNNING

*FROM HERE TO ETERNITY

MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE

He was at RKO for awhile too

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks Spence. I need to step away for a bit. When I return, I will post a few more lists for RKO contract players.

welcome

• Like 1

today they don't have those marvelous character players such as *WALBER BRENNAN, *THOMAS MITCHELL, WARD BOND-(along with DONALD CRISP hold Guinness World Record for most roles) FRANK MORGAN, *BARRY FITZGERALD,etc

What character actors of that level are today???

Before I get back to the lists of feature films, I wanted to take a moment to mention a few special folks.

These talented people made a lot of short films for RKO:

LEON ERROL (whose features I already profiled)

FLORENCE LAKE

EDGAR KENNEDY

BOBBY CLARK & PAUL MCCULLOUGH

• Like 1