Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

BETTE DAVIS

Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 8.19.35 AM.jpeg

WAY BACK HOME (1931)
OF HUMAN BONDAGE (1934)
PAYMENT ON DEMAND (1951)

this is the one she really deserved the oscar for, matter of fact she many people were furious she wasn't even nommed the allowed write-ins for 2yrs   but she still lost to colbert in it happened one night  the following yr almost had a winner by a write-in muni in black fury was runner up to mclaglen in the informer

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, spence said:

this is the one she really deserved the oscar for, matter of fact she many people were furious she wasn't even nommed the allowed write-ins for 2yrs   but she still lost to colbert in it happened one night  the following yr almost had a winner by a write-in muni in black fury was runner up to mclaglen in the informer

Yes, she's excellent in it. She gives a show-stopping performance in OF HUMAN BONDAGE.

I think Frances Dee is also quite wonderful in it.

• Like 1

JAMES GLEASON

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 6.04.44 AM.jpg

BEYOND VICTORY (1931)
SWEEPSTAKES (1931)
THE BIG GAMBLE (1931)
SUICIDE FLEET (1931)
PENGUIN POOL MURDER (1932)
MURDER ON THE BLACKBOARD (1934)
MURDER ON A HONEYMOON (1935)
HOT TIP (1935)
WE'RE ONLY HUMAN (1935)
THE EX-MRS. BRADFORD (1936)
MURDER ON A BRIDLE PATH (1936)
THE BIG GAME (1936)
DON'T TURN 'EM LOOSE (1936)
THE PLOT THICKENS (1936)
FORTY NAUGHTY GIRLS (1937)
A DATE WITH THE FALCON (1942)
THE FALCON TAKES OVER (1942)
LADY LUCK (1946)
TYCOOON (1947)

• Like 3

AS USUAL EXCELLENT WORK  THINK YOU WENT ON THE PARAMOUNT TOUR, DID YOU NOTICE THE VAST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE DECOR OF OLD RKO & PARAMOUNT  GUIDE EVEN SHOWED SOME OF THE S. STAGES WHERE KANE WAS SHOT

• Like 1

But, all point to CULVER STUDIOS where most was filmed of KANE & LAST OF THE MOHICANS (l936), LITTLE LORD FLAUNTEROY, GWTW-(the legendary burning of Atlanta was actually Selznick's wall from KONG), NOTORIOUS, SPELLBOUND, PORTRAIT OF JENNIE, REBECCA, BEETLEJUICE, MATRIX-TRILOGY, THE ROCK, A FEW GOOD MEN, LEGALLY BLONDE I & II AND RAGING BULL & BUGSY

• Like 1

Time for another reflection--

I'm grateful that people are reading the thread and hopefully becoming more familiar with RKO stars and their work at the studio.

I finished going through all the RKO titles on the IMDb and it was an educational process.

Previously I thought the years where Hughes was in charge were rather lackluster, but I realized I wasn't entirely correct. There are some very interesting films from that period (1948 to 1957). 

The very last RKO film from the 1950s is a Ruth Roman picture, which I haven't seen. Perhaps the most interesting film from the Hughes era, from the 50s, is THE CONQUEROR (1956) for a variety of reasons.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Time for another reflection--

I'm grateful that people are reading the thread and hopefully becoming more familiar with RKO stars and their work at the studio.

I finished going through all the RKO titles on the IMDb and it was an educational process.

Previously I thought the years where Hughes was in charge were rather lackluster, but I realized I wasn't entirely correct. There are some very interesting films from that period (1948 to 1957). 

The very last RKO film from the 1950s is a Ruth Roman picture, which I haven't seen. Perhaps the most interesting film from the Hughes era, from the 50s, is THE CONQUEROR (1956) for a variety of reasons.

Top, you must get that book I wrote about!

• Like 1

Outrageously the EMMYS never awarded THE GREAT ONE GLEASON an EMMY AWARD, CARNEY won 2 & AUDREY MEADOWS won, but not JACKIE & BILL MAHER is heading a drive to dismantle his statue in frt of THE NY CITY BUS TERMINAL>>>???

Before I continue posting more lists for the studio's contract players, I thought I would mention the RKO films that have never aired on TCM. Fortunately, this is a relatively small batch.

I don't think any of these are lost films, including the three french titles we've already discussed.

Reasons they don't air on TCM probably include: legal rights involving the author's estate (if it's based on a play or published story or uses songs from another source); the rights were transferred to another studio; or the film has fallen into disrepair (which seems unlikely in the era of digital restorations). 

HIT THE DECK (1929)
SYNCOPATION (1929) The 1942 remake does air on TCM.
THE CASE OF SERGEANT GRISCHA (1930)
LAWFUL LARCENY (1930)
LEATHERNECKING (1930)
LOVE COMES ALONG (1930)
MIDNIGHT MYSTERY (1930)
SECOND WIFE (1930)
ECHEC AU ROI (1931)
FANNY FOLEY HERSELF (1931)
HIGH STAKES (1931)
NUIT D'ESPAGNE (1931)
THE RUNAROUND (1931)
WHITE SHOULDERS (1931)
YOUNG DONOVAN'S KID (1931)

THE WOMAN BETWEEN (1931)
LE FILS DE L'AUTRE (1932) Remake of THE WOMAN BETWEEN so this is probably a rights issue.
GIRL OF THE RIO (1932)
LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE (1932) I've watched this one online.
A WOMAN COMMANDS (1932)
THE GREAT JASPER (1933)
THE MONKEY'S PAW (1933)
THE PAST OF MARY HOLMES (1933)
THE CRIME DOCTOR (1934)
THE FOUNTAIN (1934) I've seen this one online.
WEST OF THE PECOS (1934)
FRECKLES (1935)
LADDIE (1935)
SHE (1935) This one is available on home video.
VILLAGE TALE (1935)
THE FARMER IN THE DELL (1936)
THE LAST OUTLAW (1936)
SECOND WIFE (1936) Remake of 1930 version.
WINTERSET (1936)
THE WOMAN I LOVE (1937)
CAREER (1939)
ANNE OF WINDY POPLARS (1940)
LADDIE (1940) Remake of 1935 version.
THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WANTED (1940)
HIGHWAYS BY NIGHT (1942)
FLIGHT FOR FREEDOM (1943)
FOREVER AND A DAY (1943) Available online.
A GAME OF DEATH (1945) I've seen it online.
WANDERER OF THE WASTELAND (1945)
WEST OF THE PECOS (1945) Remake of 1934 version.
FROM THIS DAY FORWARD (1946)
SUNSET PASS (1946)
CITIZEN SAINT (1947) It's on YouTube. I really don't think this was an RKO film. Probably an independent film.
CODE OF THE WEST (1947)
DESIGN FOR DEATH (1947) Oscar winning documentary.
HOLLYWOOD BOUND (1947)
THE PEARL (1947) I think this was an independent Mexican film that RKO distributed in the U.S.
THUNDER MOUNTAIN (1947)
WILD HORSE MESA (1947)
MAKE MINE LAUGHS (1949) This is a compilation film that might include clips of other films on this list.
ANDROCLES AND THE LION (1952) Available on home video.
CATTLE QUEEN OF MONTANA (1954) I've seen it online. Also on home video.
HANSEL AND GRETEL (1954)
SLIGHTLY SCARLET (1956) I've seen it online.
JET PILOT (1957) On home video.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Coming up on YouTube:

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 6.26.48 PM

This is an enjoyable film with Basil Rathbone as a romantic lead.    I'm disappointed in the ending, though.  This was what he was being groomed for in the early talkies, then he went back on stage, then ended up at MGM and other students as a "independent contractor" playing mostly villains.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, rosebette said:

This is an enjoyable film with Basil Rathbone as a romantic lead.    I'm disappointed in the ending, though.  This was what he was being groomed for in the early talkies, then he went back on stage, then ended up at MGM and other students as a "independent contractor" playing mostly villains.  

Thanks for the comment. I haven't seen it yet.  

I read that it was made at Pathe right before Pathe merged with the newly formed RKO.