Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"As the Earth Turns" 1938 - Never Released film

UPDATE:  "“As the Earth Turns” will have it's Broadcast Premiere on Turner Classic Movies, Halloween, October 31, 2021, at 9pm - PST (12pm Midnight EST Nov 1).  Please tell EVERYONE!!

I'm very glad to join the TCM Message Forum. 

I am a Pacific NW (US) producer and composer for a 1938 award-winning unreleased film, "As the Earth Turns" (Note:  This is not the 1934 film of the same name).  The music is mainly classical with some jazz.  The backstory about how this film was found, restored, scored, and brought to the present is equally amazing.  I have a related short doc and am working on a biopic about Lyford, the filmmaker.   I also own the filmmakers film estate.   It will be on Turner Classic Movies in the fall of 2020.  Other distribution, DVD/BlueRay coming.  I hope to do an on-air interview on TCM about the film.  Please share this information with anyone you think might be interested in the film.

122 Festivals; 135 Awards/Nominations

I am happy to answer any questions regarding the film and the filmmaker.

More info:

In 1937, in Seattle, a twenty-year-old budding filmmaker using his own equipment had already created 58 plays and 9 never released, award-winning films. This director would go on to work for Disney Studios, and direct and edit a 1950 Academy Award Documentary. Richard H. Lyford’s films have developed a following among film-historians since his early “amateur” films are some of the first “indie” films ever created outside of Hollywood. Lyford experimented with special effects, and models, and was becoming an excellent director.  “As the Earth Turns”, is presented for the first time after 80 years with a professionally mixed orchestral soundtrack, by NW film composer, Ed Hartman

“As the Earth Turns” is set in the late 1930s, about WWII, future-technology, climate change, and the extreme need for peace. Lyford plays a mad scientist who desperately wants peace. The lead actress, Barbara Berger portrays a hard-working newspaper reporter. Berger had a long career on Broadway and television (ironically including “As the World Turns”).

Reviews, interviews, Festivals:

https://www.astheearthturns.com/

Trailer:

ATET 9-02-20 SMALL copy.jpg

JULIE NEW TITLE w credit.jpg

FLYING PLANE NEW TITLE w credit.jpg

EXPLOSION TITLE w credit.jpg

PAX NEW TITLE w credit.jpg

PROF AND ARTHUR NEW TITLE w credit.jpg

Edited by Ed Hartman
update
  • Like 3

This all seems very interesting Ed. Thanks for posting.

Do you know what day and time it will premiere on TCM?

I am sure soap opera fans will remember Barbara Berjer from her long-running roles on As the World Turns, Guiding Light and Another World. She was a wonderful actress.

By the way I did not find a page on the IMDb for your 1938 film AS THE EARTH TURNS. Will you be creating one?

Thanks for your interest.  The date for the premiere has not been set yet. I hope it will be in the next month or two.  (that was the original plan).  

Barbara Berjer (Berger) was in her teens when she made this (and other films with Richard Lyford - I have some fragments that will be on a DVD).  Even the Berger family didn't know about these films!  My research has been fairly extensive.   

There is an IMDB page:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9203354/

Also, I've been building up a Richard Lyford IMDB page as I discover more projects he was involved in.  We recently found a really nice short 35mm film he did for the African Pavilion at the NYC World's Fair.   It's very well done.  He did films in the Mideast, that saved 1000s of lives from disease and educational films, including a number of Magical World of Disney animal documentaries along with "Hamad and the Pirates". We've digitized all of the films we have.  I'm working on an archive for them in the future.

Richard Lyford IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0528032/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Thanks, and please let me know how I can get the word out to all of the TCM folks out there!

Ed Hartman

8th Sense Productions, LLC

lyford-models.jpg

lyford filming.jpg

Thanks Ed. I think this thread is a good way to start increasing awareness on this website. 

I guess the reason I couldn't find your page for AS THE EARTH TURNS on the IMDb is that I was trying to look it up by the year 1938 but I see you have listed it there as a film from 2019.

I also could not find it by doing a search under Barbara Berjer's name. If she was credited as Berger instead of Berjer, you should still be able to credit her both ways. All her other acting credits are under Berjer, going back to the late 1950s.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0075257/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

You may also want to contact the folks at TCM to see if they can create a page for your restored film on the TCM database. At the present time, only the 1934 film with that title is in TCM's database.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/1528/As-the-Earth-Turns/

• 11 months later...

Update on "As the Earth Turns":

• TCM is schedule to show the film around Halloween 2021 (appropriately). 
  •  I created a short documentary, "It Gets in Your Blood."  That film has been in numerous festivals and won many awards/nominations.  I will be at the Burbank International Film Festival Sun Sept 12 at 12:30pm showing the film (https://www.itsmyseat.com/biff/sun-sep-12.html). 
  • There are other screenings comings (some online).  https://edhartmanmusic.com/it-gets-in-your-blood-richard-lyford-documentary-film
  • I am working on a screenplay about Richard Lyford as well (and looking for partners). 
  • A DVD/Blu-Ray of "As the Earth Turns" and my documentary film is now available, too! (Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) https://www.astheearthturns.com/
  • Please reach out if you have any questions about the film, Richard Lyford, or will be attending the Burbank event.  See you there!

Blood 24-36 NEW 8-19-21B SM very 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/21/2021 at 11:23 AM, Ed Hartman said:

Update on "As the Earth Turns":

• TCM is schedule to show the film around Halloween 2021 (appropriately). 
  •  I created a short documentary, "It Gets in Your Blood."  That film has been in numerous festivals and won many awards/nominations.  I will be at the Burbank International Film Festival Sun Sept 12 at 12:30pm showing the film (https://www.itsmyseat.com/biff/sun-sep-12.html). 
  • There are other screenings comings (some online).  https://edhartmanmusic.com/it-gets-in-your-blood-richard-lyford-documentary-film
  • I am working on a screenplay about Richard Lyford as well (and looking for partners). 
  • A DVD/Blu-Ray of "As the Earth Turns" and my documentary film is now available, too! (Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) https://www.astheearthturns.com/
  • Please reach out if you have any questions about the film, Richard Lyford, or will be attending the Burbank event.  See you there!

Blood 24-36 NEW 8-19-21B SM very 2.jpg

Glad the film has finally been scheduled.

I just looked and it is going to air right at midnight on Halloween (technically 12 a.m. November 1st). That's a great time slot for this sort of thing!

• Like 1

Thanks for the update on the schedule!  I didn't have confirmation.  I will be promoting this now!  I'm on the West Coast, so it will be perfect at 9PM!

I was hoping TCM would grant an interview about the film (I've done many, many), but at this point it's not looking good, unless there is a groundswell of interest.) 

ATET TCM schedule sm.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ed Hartman said:

Thanks for the update on the schedule!  I didn't have confirmation.  I will be promoting this now!  I'm on the West Coast, so it will be perfect at 9PM!

I was hoping TCM would grant an interview about the film (I've done many, many), but at this point it's not looking good, unless there is a groundswell of interest.) 

ATET TCM schedule sm.jpg

The main thing is that it will air and people will see it. People like to discover 'new' things so I am sure this will go over well with viewers.

• 4 weeks later...
Fellow silent film fans: This really is an astounding situation. I have been involved in related projects about this filmmaker (He did “As the Earth Turns” 1938 silent-sci-fi on Amazon and will be on TCM Halloween! - I scored and produced astheearthturns.com). This doc about the filmmaker, Richard Lyford has been in 97 festivals to date. This one is very special, though. I will be at this event, and would love to meet you!
History in the Making! Richard Lyford created a “Chinese-style” theater in his basement in the 1930s. Now his story will be shown at the REAL one in Hollywood!
LIVE SCREENING of “It Gets In Your Blood” at the TCL Chinese Theatre (Grauman’s with the handprints!)
* Silicon Beach Film Festival Sunday, October 3, 2021, at 2pm.
Honestly, can you believe it?
Tickets:
For the latest updates:
@SILICONBEACHff #siliconbeachfilmfestival @SiliconBeachFilmFestival
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 2:47 PM, TopBilled said:
Thanks TCM for a wonderful historic broadcast premiere of "As the Earth Turns!" (I scored and produced this truly inspiring never-released 1938 silent-sci film made in Seattle by a 20-year-old filmmaker!) It was a great presentation, with Jacqueline Stewart hosting and introducing "Silent Sundays." (“Metropolis” followed it, too!) It was very exciting to see the film on TV as a live broadcast across the country! (If you saw it, please let me know.) There should be another TCM broadcast in the Spring of 2022.

If you missed it, The film is on Amazon, TUBI, etc. The incredibly collectible DVD/BR has both the film and my documentary, “It Gets in Your Blood” about Richard Lyford, along with two scenes from early Lyford silent films with my scores (great horror stuff - Mummy and Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde with cool effects and make-up). There's also a missing scene from "As the Earth Turns” that we found after I scored it. We really don't know if Lyford wanted it in or not. You can speculate on it yourself! I've even included a fun Lyford home movie, and my own "Let's Go to the Kitchen" short, a pandemic 1950s-style intermission movie that you can show anytime you are doing a movie night! The video is available at the TCM Shop (best way to support the film, and other outlets. It's a tremendous gift that NO ONE ON EARTH has!

Please let me know what you think of the film and score. It is real! I’d be Spielberg if I could fake this!
All links:

• Like 1