Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unusual Film Couples with Great Chemistry

I was thinking of the great chemistry between Clark  Gable and Hattie McDaniel as well as Joseph Cotton and Ethel Barrymore. 

I find it fascinating seeing that spark between actors who seemingly should have no real dynamic connection. It makes me wish they had made more pictures together.

Do you agree with my assessment for the above named actors?

Are there paired actors about whom you feel the same? I'm not talking about stars like William Powell and Myrna Loy but unusual pairings.

• Like 1

Off the top I'd say KATHERINE HEPBURN and just about anybody.  But to be a BIT more specific, I'd say----

Maureen O'Hara and Jimmy Stewart in MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION, if not Stewart and Grace Kelly in REAR WINDOW.

Sepiatone

I think the OP is looking more for examples not designated from the credits and the plot to be the romantic couple of focus, but I could be wrong.

I was thinking of Ronald Colman and Susan Peters in Random Harvest. We're supposed to be rooting for him to get his memory back and go back to Greer Garson, but it didn't seem to me as if it would be a bad life if he ended up with her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I know when I was a kid, I sure would've liked to have seen little Kevin "Moochie" Corcoran and Spike (playing the eponymous character Old Yeller in this) together here in a few more movies, anyway. In fact, I might've even given my Hula Hoop or Duncan yo-yo or EVEN my Schwinn bicycle to see such a thing!

old-yeller.jpg

(...but darn it and wouldn't ya know it, they had to go and shoot the poor dog in the first movie and 'cause he up and got the "hydrophoby" ya know, and so that was the end o' THAT I guess!)  

;)

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole in Beckett

Oh yeah...definitely those two. Wish they had made other films together.

In fact I think O'Toole would have been better in STAIRCASE (1969) than Rex Harrison was.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, lydecker said:

I've always thought the chemistry between Cary Grant and James Stewart was the one of the best things about The Philadelphia Story

Only movie they ever did together, right? Katharine Hepburn apparently hand-picked both of them. Grant she'd worked with a couple of times already, but she must have had a sense about Stewart who'd made Mr. Smith by this time, but all its Oscar nominations may not have come down yet.  Her first pairing with Spencer Tracy wasn't until the following year.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Only movie they ever did together, right? Katharine Hepburn apparently hand-picked both of them. Grant she'd worked with a couple of times already, but she must have had a sense about Stewart who'd made Mr. Smith by this time, but all its Oscar nominations may not have come down yet.  Her first pairing with Spencer Tracy wasn't until the following year.

That story doesn't jive with what I found on Wiki:

According to a Turner Broadcasting documentary MGM: When the Lion Roars, after Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer purchased the film rights, they were skeptical about Hepburn's box office appeal, so MGM studio head Louis B. Mayer took an unusual precaution by engaging two A-list male stars (Grant and Stewart) to support Hepburn.

While Hepburn initially purchased the rights to the source material,  as one can see MGM purchased those from her.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Okay. Well, whoever hosted The Philadelphia Story the last time I watched it on TCM - it was either Ben or Dave - said that Hepburn insisted on the right to choose her co-stars and director. So, who knows.

Looks like there is a conflict within the Turner family (ha ha).

Funny,  but Wiki also has this to say if one Googles the play:

Hoping to create a film vehicle for herself which would erase the label, Hepburn accepted the film rights to the play from Howard Hughes, who had purchased them as a gift for her. She then convinced MGM's Louis B. Mayer to buy them from her for only $250,000 in return for Hepburn having veto over producer, director, screenwriter, and cast.[2][5][6]'

So there are clearly conflicting stories out there about this.     Looks like no one has a copy of the actual contract between MGM and Hepburn.   Of course maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle;   E.g. Mayer suggested Grant and Stewart to help with the box office and Kate agreed with this because she liked working with Grant and respected  his abilities as well as seeing that Stewart was about to make it real big after Mr. Smith etc...

• Thanks 1