Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unusual Film Couples with Great Chemistry

10 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I tried to get a friend of mine, who was black, to watch Ghost Breakers with me. She was stony silent while it played and I could tell by the expression of her face that she was not happy. Finally she walked out on the film, not able to take the character played by Willie Best. I respected her sensitivities, obviously coming from a different place than me, though I thought she did Best's skills as a comedian a disservice by concentrating only upon what she viewed as a racially demeaning characterization. Still, as Atticus Finch said, you have to walk around in another person's shoes to understand where they're coming from.

I don't know your sources for Paulette Goddard's life. Yes, I know she was a free spirit and had a few relationships. But she also always remained a very private person about her personal life which was undoubtedly a very interesting one. I don't think we really know all that much about her activities away from the screen, though I do know she had a legendary jewelry collection and was an international jet setter after her film career ended, dying in her Swiss residence, probably not too far from where Chaplin had died. One more thing, her screen tests as Scarlett O'Hara make the mouth water.

Absolutely. A choice every viewer has to make for oneself, and I certainly wouldn't try to "drive the point home." Not my place to tell a Black person how they should feel about anything. If one feels they can get past the stereotypes and see the value of the performer, great! If one feels personally hurt by it and just doesn't want to deal with the pain, totally a valid choice.

My source is primarily the biography I mentioned, Opposite Attraction. Not sure where the author sourced their information. It was a library copy so I don't have it on hand, but I recall there was an extensive index. Admittedly there's a lot anecdotal information circulating about her out there on the web and various gossipy books, not all of it flattering, and much of it doubtless untrue or exaggerated. One thing that becomes clear at least in the way her life is presented in Opposite Attraction is that Paulette herself rewrote her own narrative so many times it was hard to keep the facts straight (her fluctuating birthdate for example). Like all the best stories, it's often hard to distinguish legend from truth. One shouldn't confidently assert the former as the latter, and that's not what I mean to do.  One can still enjoy the ride, but be sure to have the proverbial grains of salt on hand for the taking😉. My general impression is that Paulette Goddard lived the hell out of life, liked a bit of fun, and a flashy piece of jewelry as you say, and I don't begrudge her that one iota!🍻

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, ClassicMovieholic said:

Absolutely. A choice every viewer has to make for oneself, and I certainly wouldn't try to "drive the point home." Not my place to tell a Black person how they should feel about anything. If one feels they can get past the stereotypes and see the value of the performer, great! If one feels personally hurt by it and just doesn't want to deal with the pain, totally a valid choice.

My source is primarily the biography I mentioned, Opposite Attraction. Not sure where the author sourced their information. It was a library copy so I don't have it on hand, but I recall there was an extensive index. Admittedly there's a lot anecdotal information circulating about her out there on the web and various gossipy books, not all of it flattering, and much of it doubtless untrue or exaggerated. One thing that becomes clear at least in the way her life is presented in Opposite Attraction is that Paulette herself rewrote her own narrative so many times it was hard to keep the facts straight (her fluctuating birthdate for example). Like all the best stories, it's often hard to distinguish legend from truth. One shouldn't confidently assert the former as the latter, and that's not what I mean to do.  One can still enjoy the ride, but be sure to have the proverbial grains of salt on hand for the taking😉. My general impression is that Paulette Goddard lived the hell out of life, liked a bit of fun, and a flashy piece of jewelry as you say, and I don't begrudge her that one iota!🍻

Paulette was also a friend of Errol Flynn, who never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Kindred souls perhaps.

ea0d099166768d2af2e1e34f29523f26.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
44 minutes ago, TomJH said:

One more thing, her screen tests as Scarlett O'Hara make the mouth water.

Oh, and by the way, I completely agree about her potential as Scarlett. She's one of perhaps a handful of actresses besides Leigh who I think might have been compelling in a different way in the role, Susan Hayward and Joan Bennett among them, but Goddard way at the top of that pack! Makes one wish for alternative realities where we can see the possibilities unfold.

• Like 1