Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Holiday Classics Thread

audreyforever

Okay everyone, you all probably think this is weird because it's only August 29th, but I am in the midst of a huge rain storm, and for some strange reason I realized that we not to far away from Christmas! Why I came across this I don't know, but it's probably because I saw on Amazon: TCM's Greatest Classic Films Collection: Holiday Films. The 4 films listed are all terrific, and now I can't get out of my head those wonderful days in December when we just sit back and relax, and watch such Christmas Classics as:

Christmas in Connecticut

Holiday Affair

Susan Slept Here

The Bishop's Wife

The Man Who Came to Dinner

I totally understand if you don't want to post, considering we are still in summer, but I'll leave that decision up to you! :)

It's rainy and foggy and cool here too!

My favorite Christmas films are usually not aired on TCM:

MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (1947 ONLY)

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

I also do enjoy MEET JOHN DOE and LARCENY, INC (which has a bit of a Christmas scene in it).

I am always really disappointed that TCM does not air those two films. In fact, I believe It's a Wonderful Life is under contract with NBC, and no one else is allowed to show it during Christmas. :( As for Miracle on 34th Street, this is no doubt one of my all-time favorites for December, but since it's a 20th Century Fox film, TCM doesn't have the rights. Who knows, miracles may just happen with TCM this winter!

Other networks may hold exclusive rights to It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street, but at least both titles will finally be out on blu-ray this holiday season.

Another movie that I think would play well during Christmas is Kind Lady (1951), which TCM just showed on Angela Lansbury day. It all takes place right around the holidays. :)

> {quote:title=audreyforever wrote:}{quote}

> Okay everyone, you all probably think this is weird because it's only August 29th, but I am in the midst of a huge rain storm, and for some strange reason I realized that we not to far away from Christmas!

I don't think that's weird -- I'm getting a little frantic because I can't find the molds to make Jell-o skeletons for Halloween.

Being a bit perverse, one of my favorite Christmas movies is *We're No Angels* (1955). I love the part where they're going to actually buy someone a present, but they don't know where to steal the money for it.

> {quote:title=audrey forever wrote:}{quote}...I believe It's a Wonderful Life is under contract with NBC, and no one else is allowed to show it during Christmas.

You're correct Audrey. I read someplace that NBC has it locked up for 20 or 25 years with options to renew the contract. If TCM could ever land that one it would be a miracle. Except for rare theatrical showings, the only way to see it without commercials is on DVD. Well worth spending a few bucks for.

I think they'd have a better shot with MIRACLE ON 34th Street. While Fox shows it several times a year on The Fox Movie Channel (not just at Christmas), TCM has been getting more films from them so maybe someday they'll luck out.

The number one Christmas film is the Alastair Sim version of "A Christmas Carol", there is no other version that comes close to this one. Charles Dickens great grand daughter is supposed to have visited the set and told them they had it exactly right. Sim is a pure joy to watch working in this wonderful film.A side note,look for a very young Patrick Macnee before he was John Steed in "The Avengers" as the young Jacob Marley. Of course the great "You'll shoot your eye out Ralphie "A Christmas Story" which has been known to be shown once or twice around Christmas. Of course all the ones mentioned here by you all......HO HO HO

S. Z. Sakall was so cool. I recently got to see him in one of his German movies, a 1930 comedy called "Susanne macht Ordnung" starring Truus van Aalten. S.Z. was billed under the name Szoke Szakall at the time. It was so interesting to see him so young, but still the same funny character. There was one scene in which he had to answer a phone and he got all tangled up in the cord and was having all sorts of trouble holding on to the phone, all the while muttering funny stuff in German, but with that same familiar voice.

So yes let's see a S.Z. Sakall festival on TCM, and maybe they can find some of his German films, too.

Unfortunately that German movie "Susanne macht Ordnung" is not available on DVD or video or on TV anywhere that I'm aware of. I had to travel to a Film Archive to view it on 16mm, and I'd not be at all surprised if that's the only print there is.

I watched it along with three other rare German films on 16mm, all featuring actress/comedienne Truus van Aalten, who was the reason for my viewing the films. It was an extra bonus to get to see the young S.Z. Sakall as well.

If anyone has any tips or leads on where or how to find that one or other rarely seen late 1920's & 1930's German movies, please do let us know!

It was in an American archive I saw the four German films...A trip to Germany is a bit out of my budget!

The one with S.Z. actually was released in the U.S. in when it was new, but only for German markets, so not subtitled. And so the print I saw was totally in German. And I don't know German, so I had to try to figure out what was going on. But I was able to follow it pretty well, having learned all I could about it already before seeing it.

And by the way, in addition to having S.Z. Sakall in the cast, the leading man in the story was Franz Lederer, soon to come to Hollywood as Francis Lederer.