Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

final shot TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE

Hello all, TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE has always been one of my all-time favorite films. I just read something on WIKIPEDIA which says that the final shot shows a bag of gold that the bandits had missed which is s unopened and still full of gold..... I feel a little awkward to ask this, but.... it that accurate?  I always thought  the last shot showed the sacks of gold that were opened and dumped into the desert and are now completely empty.  I asked a friend of mind about this  (before writing  here on TCM), and we both have this same interpretation (the last shot shows an empty sack).  are the folks on wikipedia wrong?  thanks!

1 hour ago, DickLindsay said:

Hello all, TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE has always been one of my all-time favorite films. I just read something on WIKIPEDIA which says that the final shot shows a bag of gold that the bandits had missed which is s unopened and still full of gold..... I feel a little awkward to ask this, but.... it that accurate?  I always thought  the last shot showed the sacks of gold that were opened and dumped into the desert and are now completely empty.  I asked a friend of mind about this  (before writing  here on TCM), and we both have this same interpretation (the last shot shows an empty sack).  are the folks on wikipedia wrong?  thanks!

There was a take where Bogie's head is cutoff and see rolling and the bags of gold are still full.     My understanding is that Jack Warner insisted that this be redone since Bogie's was WB biggest male star.    Jack wanted the character to live but Huston wouldn't agree with that since it was totally unfaithful to the book.    So as a compromise Huston ended the film with Bogie's death being a quick one, and then that very sappy,  unrealistic ending with the other two.

But what about the final shot of the film?  Does it show the empty sacks that were dumped by the banditos, OR  does the final shot show a bag of gold that the bandits had missed which is unopened and still full of gold?

7 minutes ago, DickLindsay said:

But what about the final shot of the film?  Does it show the empty sacks that were dumped by the banditos, OR  does the final shot show a bag of gold that the bandits had missed which is unopened and still full of gold?

The actual shot on the released film is of a empty sacks with gold dust blowing in the wind.

thanks.... When I read that other info  on WIKIPEDIA,  from the synopsis ("The camera pans down to a cactus as he rides past it. Lying next to it is the only bag of gold that the bandits had missed. It is unopened and still full of gold.") I really thought I had made a mistake all these years. Just goes to show, you cannot trust everything on wikipedia.