Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

Now when you go to the TCM schedules area, the design looks like what you see in the screen shot below.

When you do a search on that page, it will tell you when the movie you are searching will air again. But you cannot search by people, only by titles.

The Leonard Maltin reviews seem to have disappeared.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 6.36.59 AM

• Sad 2

Looks to me like another example of fixing something that wasn't broken... The last major overhaul of the schedule format was about 12 or 13 years ago, if I recall correctly, and it was a genuine improvement over the previous format... This new format looks like what we could find on any other TV schedule site. It's not an improvement.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2
3 minutes ago, skipd55 said:

Looks to me like another example of fixing something that wasn't broken... The last major overhaul of the schedule format was about 12 or 13 years ago, if I recall correctly, and it was a genuine improvement over the previous format... This new format looks like what we could find on any other TV schedule site. It's not an improvement.

It's going to take a bit of time to get used to this new format.

It would have been nice if they'd given us a "heads up."

It does take longer for the pages to load in this new beefed up format.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Was the format of the TCM Schedule Webpage Changed? I can't access it as before. It was fine yesterday. Today this popup comes up: "To view this content, please use one of the following compatible browsers: Safari v11+, Chrome v8+, Firefox Quantum, Microsoft Edge."

Is there a way to access the previous format?

Thank you.

When I go to the TCM database page for a specific title, the Matlin reviews are no longer there. And neither are all the user reviews.

Will those return? Or are they gone forever?

NOTES used to be first, but now it's at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 7.09.02 AM

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

It's going to take a bit of time to get used to this new format.

It would have been nice if they'd given us a "heads up."

It does take longer for the pages to load in this new beefed up format.

I sometimes wonder if the powers that be at TCM really care enough about what we think to give us a heads up. Do our comments ever get past the gatekeepers? Does anybody in a position of authority ever see any viewer feedback? I'd be interested to know. One beef I have with the new schedule format is that it's no longer possible to tell at a glance whether a movie is available on DVD. Now you have to go to another page to find out. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I could glance at the ‘old’ schedule and quickly see my favourite genres by colour code and one word describing such as ‘Drama’, ‘Musical’, etc., and then I could easily plan my viewing of TCM for the day, week and month.  They removed a real simple format and replaced it with this...?  

I am all for improvements but this just stinks! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
8 minutes ago, skipd55 said:

I sometimes wonder if the powers that be at TCM really care enough about what we think to give us a heads up. Do our comments ever get past the gatekeepers? Does anybody in a position of authority ever see any viewer feedback? I'd be interested to know. One beef I have with the new schedule format is that it's no longer possible to tell at a glance whether a movie is available on DVD. Now you have to go to another page to find out. 

Yes, you have to keep clicking on links to go into other areas. Then if you try to go back, it takes a long time for the previous screen's information to reload.

6 minutes ago, LatriceRoyale said:

I could glance at the ‘old’ schedule and quickly see my favourite genres by colour code and one word describing such as ‘Drama’, ‘Musical’, etc., and then I could easily plan my viewing of TCM for the day, week and month.  They removed a real simple format and replaced it with this...?  

They've made it much more sophisticated. Not sure why they felt a need to do that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

This is obviously an attempt by the TCM staff to align their message board fonts and style to a new schedule. As far as being able to find out what type of film is being presented, directly under the title of the film is the type of film, i.e., Drama, Comedy, Adventure, Documentary along with running time and ratings. I see this as a progression toward a more user friendly experience. I did lo\ike the old format with color bars, but I think moving forward the way the schedule is presented now is more clear and concise.

As far as not being able to see the whole 24 hour schedule is concerned, you can still see the whole 24 hour schedule, starting with whatever film starts after midnight, going up to the last film scheduled for any given 24 hour time period. Tomorrows schedule starts at 12:15 AM and runs until 11 PM. I do not see a problem with this format. Obviously when a film starts at 11 PM, it's running time may go into the next day. And then the next film on the schedule is then listed as the first film for the next day.

As far as the elimination of Leonard Maltin's reviews, whomever they are using now is okay with me. There is more than enough information about a film under the "More Info" tab than one would normally expect.

As far as the time it takes to toggle back and forth between each tab under the "More Info" area, I think that really depends on the speed of the device you are using. My desktop Mac has little or no problem going back and forth among the tabs.

Overall, I think they are just trying to make the schedule more user friendly which I believe is warranted especially in this day and age.

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

This is obviously an attempt by the TCM staff to align their message board fonts and style to a new schedule. As far as being able to find out what type of film is being presented, directly under the title of the film is the type of film, i.e., Drama, Comedy, Adventure, Documentary along with running time and ratings. I see this as a progression toward a more user friendly experience. I did lo\ike the old format with color bars, but I think moving forward the way the schedule is presented now is more clear and concise.

As far as not being able to see the whole 24 hour schedule is concerned, you can still see the whole 24 hour schedule, starting with whatever film starts after midnight, going up to the last film scheduled for any given 24 hour time period. Tomorrows schedule starts at 12:15 AM and runs until 11 PM. I do not see a problem with this format. Obviously when a film starts at 11 PM, it's running time may go into the next day. And then the next film on the schedule is then listed as the first film for the next day.

As far as the elimination of Leonard Maltin's reviews, whomever they are using now is okay with me. There is more than enough information about a film under the "More Info" tab than one would normally expect.

Yes, formatting-wise it does seem to complement the message board experience a little bit better.

I notice they now have a section called TCM Library which is where they are selling books they are publishing. Not to be confused with our term "TCM Library of films" which is really the Turner acquisition of MGM, UA, WB and RKO titles from 1925 to 1986.

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

As far as the time it takes to toggle back and forth between each tab under the "More Info" area, I think that really depends on the speed of the device you are using. My desktop Mac has little or no problem going back and forth among the tabs.

Overall, I think they are just trying to make the schedule more user friendly which I believe is warranted especially in this day and age.

Looks to me that it's an attempt to provide a better interface for devices with touch screens and limited screen real estate (tablets, phones, etc).  The collapsible descriptions and vertical orientation are tells that the UI (user interface) is optimized for devices normally used in "portrait" mode, rather than the typical desktop screen orientations, which are "landscape", or horizontal in nature.

Also, the larger font makes it easier to read on smaller screens, without having to zoom in and out.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

You are spot on. Both with your original posting and other comments. However, they are showing all of the films each day. As I wrote, if a film starts at 11 PM and runs into the next day, the first film scheduled for the next day is shown and that schedule runs up until the last film starts that day.

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, txfilmfan said:

Looks to me that it's an attempt to provide a better interface for devices with touch screens and limited screen real estate (tablets, phones, etc).  The collapsible descriptions and vertical orientation are tells that the UI (user interface) is optimized for devices normally used in "portrait" mode, rather than the typical desktop screen orientations, which are "landscape", or horizontal in nature.

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head.

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

You are spot on. Both with your original posting and other comments. However, they are showing all of the films each day. As I wrote, if a film starts at 11 PM and runs into the next day, the first film scheduled for the next day is shown and that schedule runs up until the last film starts that day.

You're right. The reason I thought all the films were not listed each day is because it defaults to Eastern and I am in the Pacific time zone. There is no way to change the default to Pacific. So every time I go to the schedule information page, I will have to manually reset it to Pacific to ensure that I am seeing all the titles listed for the given day in my area.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

You're right. The reason I thought all the films were not listed each day is because it defaults to Eastern and I am in the Pacific time zone. There is no way to change the default to Pacific. So every time I go to the schedule information page, I will have to manually reset it to Pacific to ensure that I am seeing all the titles listed for the given day in my area.

Well Top, I guess some things are never going to be perfect. But hey, I like the new format!!!! Hope you have been well!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, fxreyman said:

Well Top, I guess some things are never going to be perfect. But hey, I like the new format!!!! Hope you have been well!!!

Thanks. Yes, nothing is ever perfect. 

I concur with txfilmfan's blurb that these design changes are meant to accommodate phone and tablet users.

• Sad 1

Change seems to annoy some and thrill others... Me. I'm still on the fence. But I'd still like my previous question answered: Does anybody care what we think? Will somebody from TCM address why these changes were deemed necessary, or must we continue to speculate among ourselves?

• Sad 3

Still do not like the new format.  Almost 50% of screen is taken up with "banners" and such.  And see no reason for the big pictures.  There is more info available if you don't mind going back and forth.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
10 minutes ago, skipd55 said:

Change seems to annoy some and thrill others... Me. I'm still on the fence. But I'd still like my previous question answered: Does anybody care what we think? Will somebody from TCM address why these changes were deemed necessary, or must we continue to speculate among ourselves?

If you're asking about comments/issues/complaints raised in these forums, the answer is no.   TCM management doesn't respond to issues or complaints raised here.  Do they monitor the threads?  Maybe.  But I seriously doubt it. 

E-mails, old-fashioned letters, and social media posts may get more attention.

• Sad 1

My post from thread I had created. 

Went to the TCM Full Schedule ( https://www.tcm.com/schedule/)  on the TCM website looking for what is below, but they have replaced it with a new format.  Very little in descriptions, no reviews and jumbled together with other useless format changes.  Also, if you click on a title, you get a large picture related to the movie/feature.  Tried to copy the new screen but couldn't.  

For those who may not know, on the old format, if you clicked on the title or something, it would open it up with more information.  You could then close it back to make perusing the screen easier.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 12.02.37 PM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, ElCid said:

Still do not like the new format.  Almost 50% of screen is taken up with "banners" and such.  And see no reason for the big pictures.  There is more info available if you don't mind going back and forth.

Yeah, the large photos seem a bit much. But I am sure that is being done for phone users.

1 minute ago, txfilmfan said:

If you're asking about comments/issues/complaints raised in these forums, the answer is no.   TCM management doesn't respond to issues or complaints raised here.  Do they monitor the threads?  Maybe.  But I seriously doubt it. 

When we make a thread like this, I would say it's more for a discussion among this site's users. For people to relate/vent/appreciate. Whatever.

With little or no expectation that the web designers are reading such a thread. Although it is certainly possible they could be reading what we're saying and taking note.

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Actually they do.  Just a month or so ago, lots of changes made and many of us complained about them.  So, what happened?  They pretty much put things back the way they were or made changes.

As for this situation, if you go to the schedule and then scroll to bottom of page, there is a contact button.  Use it to express your opinions; I did.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Yeah, the large photos seem a bit much. But I am sure that is being done for phone users.

When we make a thread like this, I would say it's more for a discussion among this site's users. For people to relate/vent/appreciate. Whatever.

With little or no expectation that the web designers are reading such a thread. Although it is certainly possible they could be reading what we're saying and taking note.

see my comment above re: contacting them and changes we caused over last TCM changes.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
11 minutes ago, ElCid said:

There is more info available if you don't mind going back and forth.

The More Info link takes you to the TCM database page for the title.

• Sad 1