Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

16 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Are the times the same for both Chrome and Edge? 

Yes.  Firefox (v43) and iPhone's Safari both show the correct times.    I think it's clear they're doing something based on time zone and the same thing across all browsers.

Interesting...  Now that I see this site on the iPhone, it really doesn't look all that bad.  I think it's clear they did this change to support the mobile market better.  The thing is, though...   I have a little experience with a drag/drop DIY web site builder - even THAT generated a web site that would adjust its format based on whether it was being consumed by a mobile device or desktop browser.  I would have thought these guys would have accommodated both platforms...

As a minimum:  need to eliminate the pictures as they take up too much room and are useless; make sure all shorts are listed; reduce size of "banner" at top.

I'm using a CRT monitor with 16" screen.  I can imagine how difficult it must be on small screens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
   Rode the six hundred.
“Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns!” he said.
Into the valley of Death
   Rode the six hundred.

If you wrote reviews for TCM and you want to get the text of your comments and reviews back, try the wayback machine, 

I plugged this into web address:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/852/The-Wizard-of-Oz/

It gives you a bunch of dates when the site was scraped, and just pick a date before the changes.

And I found the user reviews for Wizard of Oz and the Leonard Maltin Review. It works for more obscure titles too. Sure it's tedious, but it is a way to recover your content. 

The web address is the same now as it was for the old system, so if you go to the information page for a film in TCM, just use that.

Or maybe everybody already knows this and I'm behind the curve. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

Yes.  Firefox (v43) and iPhone's Safari both show the correct times.    I think it's clear they're doing something based on time zone and the same thing across all browsers.

If the times look OK for you in Safari while in PA, then I would conclude that those living in the Eastern time zone see the correct times regardless of device, while those in other time zones have the problem.  I live in the Central time zone and it seems like the schedule is changing the time by one hour from what you are seeing when using the default Eastern time zone setting.  I then have to change it to "Mountain" time to get the correct times for my area.

But this is all academic since there isn't anything we can do about it.

• Like 1
On 10/7/2020 at 2:44 PM, Curtis DeHaven said:

Wow...  I see it at 11:30.  I'm in Philly, PA.  

I also see they seem to have different formats depending on what browser I use.  When I use Chrome, first it complains it doesn't recognize it, then I get a home page with the menu running vertically when I click the "hamburger" (3 small lines) in the upper left corner.  But when I use Edge I don't get the hamburger, but rather a somewhat normal horizontal menu across the top...

Sounds like scripting that either Edge can't process (by now I think Edge is just rebranded Chromium), or else maybe it's targeted fallback code for Edge- perhaps to account for the period of transition from proprietary MS to Chromium.

3 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

If the times look OK for you in Safari while in PA, then I would conclude that those living in the Eastern time zone see the correct times regardless of device, while those in other time zones have the problem.  I live in the Central time zone and it seems like the schedule is changing the time by one hour from what you are seeing when using the default Eastern time zone setting.  I then have to change it to "Mountain" time to get the correct times for my area.

But this is all academic since there isn't anything we can do about it.

The times are currently provided in EST TZ in the data source.  Could it be some bad client-side JS that doesn't properly account for the EST "spring forward" and "fall behind" - thus throwing off other areas of the country?  As you say, there is not much that that the TCM viewer could  (or should have to) do about it.

Assuming that absolutely nothing is done about this, it might correct itself, for a while at least, the first Sunday of November.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Time_Zone

Just for fun I changed the time zone on my PC to be the Eastern time zone (EDT), and the schedule in my browser now has the correct times for the East Coast.  After that, when I use the drop-down menu on the schedule page to set the time zone to Central time, the times look correct for the Central time zone as well.  So that seems to imply that the schedule software doesn't react properly for a computer time that is in a different time zone from East Coast time.  For the Central time zone, it offsets all of the times by adding an hour instead of just displaying the Eastern times that are apparently part of the data source (thanks MCOH).  Since the default time zone setting in the drop down is always Eastern time, it should always start out by showing Eastern times no matter what.

Of course, the old schedule could remember what time zone you had previously selected, and would continue to use that for return visits.  I would hope we could get back to that at some point.

Are there any TCM web programmers paying attention?

• Sad 1

I changed the time to PST, now the times are correct, but what is showing is incorrect--it's about 1-2 movies behind.  Right now, it's a quarter to 5.  In 15 minutes, the primetime movie (The Front Page) should be starting.  We should be in the tail end of "Bombshell."  However, the schedule shows that the end of "Personal Property" is what is currently airing.  According to the schedule, "Bombshell" hasn't even started yet!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I changed the time to PST, now the times are correct, but what is showing is incorrect--it's about 1-2 movies behind.  Right now, it's a quarter to 5.  In 15 minutes, the primetime movie (The Front Page) should be starting.  We should be in the tail end of "Bombshell."  However, the schedule shows that the end of "Personal Property" is what is currently airing.  According to the schedule, "Bombshell" hasn't even started yet!

Thanks for the example.  Here are some snippets from the actual source data, in Eastern Standard Time, before it reaches the display elements/logic of this website.

"Name": "Personal Property",
     "StartDate": "10/08/2020 04:45:00 pm",
    "EndDate": "10/08/2020 06:15:00 pm",

"Name": "Bombshell",
    "StartDate": "10/08/2020 06:15:00 pm",
    "EndDate": "10/08/2020 08:00:00 pm",

"Name": "The Front Page",
    "StartDate": "10/08/2020 08:00:00 pm",
    "EndDate": "10/08/2020 10:00:00 pm",

Based on this account and Cmovieviewer's, it sounds as if they are missing the usual TZ offset, plus the less common difference between those regions that observe Daylight Savings Time, and those that do not (cmoviewer - it sounds as if your zone does not).

14 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

(by now I think Edge is just rebranded Chromium),

Yes, earlier this year, Microsoft switched over to a Chromium based engine (aka Blink), with the initial release being version 79; mine just updated to 86.  Even though it has a Chrome engine, though, it still reports itself as Edge in its user agent string.   (Annnd...  It looks like they're releasing a preview version of it this month for Linux.  Get yours before they run out, OH...  lol)

10 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Thanks for the example.  Here are some snippets from the actual source data, in Eastern Standard Time, before it reaches the display elements/logic of this website.

"Name": "Personal Property",
     "StartDate": "10/08/2020 04:45:00 pm",
    "EndDate": "10/08/2020 06:15:00 pm",

"Name": "Bombshell",
    "StartDate": "10/08/2020 06:15:00 pm",
    "EndDate": "10/08/2020 08:00:00 pm",

"Name": "The Front Page",
    "StartDate": "10/08/2020 08:00:00 pm",
    "EndDate": "10/08/2020 10:00:00 pm",

Based on this account and Cmovieviewer's, it sounds as if they are missing the usual TZ offset, plus the less common difference between those regions that observe Daylight Savings Time, and those that do not (cmoviewer - it sounds as if your zone does not).

I had thought the schedule is behaving as if my computer is on some kind of super Daylight Savings Time.

For example, if Bombshell starts at 6:15 pm EDT, my schedule shows it starting at 7:15 pm, so it thinks my time is actually ahead of EDT, out in the Atlantic Ocean somewhere.

(If I was in the Central time zone with no Daylight Savings, the show would be coming on at 4:15 pm local time.)

Another complicating factor is that TCM has 2 different feeds, East Coast and West Coast.

I was surprised by speedracer5 comments on Pacific Time, because I thought the West Coast had its own feed that made their times match up with East Coast times.

(The West Coast feed is delayed by 3 hours, so a show that starts at 8 pm on the East Coast will also start at 8 pm local time on the West Coast.)

45 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

I had thought the schedule is behaving as if my computer is on some kind of super Daylight Savings Time.

For example, if Bombshell starts at 6:15 pm EDT, my schedule shows it starting at 7:15 pm, so it thinks my time is actually ahead of EDT, out in the Atlantic Ocean somewhere.

(If I was in the Central time zone with no Daylight Savings, the show would be coming on at 4:15 pm local time.)

Another complicating factor is that TCM has 2 different feeds, East Coast and West Coast.

I was surprised by speedracer5 comments on Pacific Time, because I thought the West Coast had its own feed that made their times match up with East Coast times.

(The West Coast feed is delayed by 3 hours, so a show that starts at 8 pm on the East Coast will also start at 8 pm local time on the West Coast.)

Not all TV providers in the Mountain and Pacific time zones use the west feed.  Some use the east feed.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Not all TV providers in the Mountain and Pacific time zones use the west feed.  Some use the east feed.

Sounds like another option the schedule should offer is the ability to select which feed your provider is using - East or West - so it could show you the appropriate times.

But asking for more options at this point when the basics are broken would be silly.

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

As far as I know, I view everything that's on at the same time as EST, it's just 3 hours earlier for me.  The Primetime 8:00pm film is always on at 5:00pm.  The next day starts at 6:00am EST, but for me, it's 3AM.  An East Coast viewer and I (a West Coast viewer) are watching the same thing at the same time, it's just earlier for me.  This allows me to watch more of the shows on at night, because it's not as late; whereas, the East Coast viewer can watch more of the day time shows, whereas I'm asleep or at work.

I am watching TCM on satellite though.  So perhaps that has something to do with it?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

Yes, earlier this year, Microsoft switched over to a Chromium based engine (aka Blink), with the initial release being version 79; mine just updated to 86.  Even though it has a Chrome engine, though, it still reports itself as Edge in its user agent string.   (Annnd...  It looks like they're releasing a preview version of it this month for Linux.  Get yours before they run out, OH...  lol)

I'll wait till it shows up in a vetted software distribution channel.  I can't see Debian including it, but maybe Ubuntu (based on Debian).  Ubuntu is more corporate-oriented and Linux Mint (my distro) is based on that, though they pull in the reins some from Ubuntu.  It will probably show up first in Red Hat though.

• Like 1

Just adding my voice to the litany of complaints. This new site is unreadable and unworkable. The time zone and country tabs don't work. I don't see the Maltin reviews - are they hidden? The synopses are useless.

• Like 3

When an entity chooses to re-design, it is generally to make an aspect of their design better than it has been.  Unfortunately, I can't find one thing that is better in this new design than the old design.  There is less content than there used to be.  There are fewer avenues to drill down into.  User reviews are gone.  You can only see 30 days out at the most.  In short there is nothing that is good about this design.  If your webmaster is too lazy to  do his job, or this is the best he can do, or if you don't want to pay him any money - let some people know.  You charge $87/year for watching a tv channel that you play the same content every 4 weeks over and over.  It is rare that you play newer content - really, how many times can you watch AN AMERICAN IN PARIS???????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Would really be nice if somebody from the TCM ivory tower would chime in and at least acknowledge the comments.

Doesn't need to be an answer to the problem, or when it will get repaired, just something along the lines of "we hear you".

A picture of the empty desk and chair where the app designer sat, maybe with some black smoke residue about, would be comforting...

Just sayin.......

• Like 3
4 hours ago, DanKurts said:

Would really be nice if somebody from the TCM ivory tower would chime in and at least acknowledge the comments.

Doesn't need to be an answer to the problem, or when it will get repaired, just something along the lines of "we hear you".

A picture of the empty desk and chair where the app designer sat, maybe with some black smoke residue about, would be comforting...

Just sayin.......

TBH, they're probably going to pay more attention to Twitter, Instagram and FB posts than anything on here.  I'd bet a large number of people in management don't even know this message board exists.

The moderator(s) would have to forward on any feedback from here, more than likely.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, DanKurts said:

Just sayin.......

Yeah, what txfilmfan said.  Don't just post on social media, bomb the hell out of them over there.  Put them into damage control mode.