Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

I agree the new website, as far as the schedule goes is awful!  The original schedule format was easy to scroll through and see at a glance a large section of films, the time, the length and a brief  synopsis.  Now, though the images representing the induvial films are a nice touch, it is more convenient  seeing larger grouping of the films listed by date and time rather than having to scroll endlessly to find the particular film time being searched for.  Another flaw in the "new format" is that originally one could select the time zone pertaining to your part of the country and it would stay set as the default.  Now if you select the Central Time Zone, for example,  and click on an individual movie listing for more details, once you go back to the schedule it automatically reverts back to Eastern Time Zone as a default.  The original format programmer's had the forethought of knowing if the end user wanted a particular time zone to view, it would automatically become their default viewing.  I believe that most of us viewers would prefer to have a working, functioning, reliable schedule at our finger tips rather than the new bells and whistles that make it much more difficult figuring out where and what we are going to be able to see and make our plans accordingly rather than jump through unnecessary hoops.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So....

Taking the suggestion of bombing social media, and being the type that doesn't use it, thought I would peruse google and see what other stories popped up about this topic. As the late, great Arte Johnson said:

Is Barnaby auditioning for a new band? - » The Australian Independent Media  Network

Nothing. Tried various search words, phrases and likely tags, nothing.  Some links about other changes in the past, nothing current. Of course, the usual links to access the site, but nothing on this topic. I even tried more details, in stages, like this, "turner classic movies website guide update September 29th 2020 is getting bad reviews". 

Freaky.  <cue strange sounds from 1950's alien movie>  Glanced around the room to see if everything had suddenly changed to black & white, suspecting to see Rod Serling and hear a narration in Twilight Zone speak.

Hope the forum members here, on social media, can help us out and post some links to this thread, please!

Thank you!

4 hours ago, DanKurts said:

So....

Taking the suggestion of bombing social media, and being the type that doesn't use it, thought I would peruse google and see what other stories popped up about this topic. As the late, great Arte Johnson said:

Is Barnaby auditioning for a new band? - » The Australian Independent Media  Network

Nothing. Tried various search words, phrases and likely tags, nothing.  Some links about other changes in the past, nothing current. Of course, the usual links to access the site, but nothing on this topic. I even tried more details, in stages, like this, "turner classic movies website guide update September 29th 2020 is getting bad reviews". 

Freaky.  <cue strange sounds from 1950's alien movie>  Glanced around the room to see if everything had suddenly changed to black & white, suspecting to see Rod Serling and hear a narration in Twilight Zone speak.

Hope the forum members here, on social media, can help us out and post some links to this thread, please!

Thank you!

You don't have to be a Twitter user to search it.

Just go to Twitter.com and type in what you want to search for in the search box at the top.

Here's a link to a search I did on "TCM website"

https://twitter.com/search?q=TCM website&src=typed_query

• Like 1
“Forward, the Light Brigade!”
Was there a man dismayed?
Not though the soldier knew
   Someone had blundered.
   Theirs not to make reply,
   Theirs not to reason why,
   Theirs but to do and die.
   Into the valley of Death
   Rode the six hundred.
  • Like 1

I miss the banner thing that appeared right before the evening movies. It told you at a glance what the theme for the night was--Bette Davis movies, Beautiful San Francisco, whatever. If that information is there now, I'm not seeing it.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Twokeets said:

I miss the banner thing that appeared right before the evening movies. It told you at a glance what the theme for the night was--Bette Davis movies, Beautiful San Francisco, whatever. 

The primetime themes.

4 hours ago, Judex said:

I miss user ratings on actor pages!! 😪

Yes, that's right...those have disappeared too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Desk I’ve noticed this change since Sept 30. It reminds me of the design from the TCM app and on-demand  which is how I mainly watch TCM now due to the flexibility of choosing whatever film I want to see every week. 

As a media archivist, the lack of accessibility and removal of content just about kills me. Like many others, I searched filmmakers and actors ahead of time and made note of when their movies aired on TCM 3 months ahead of time. Now it seems like you have to look up specific titles and it only displays search results for the month.  I guess we took it for granted that all that content would be accessible for years. 

As someone that loves TCM film premieres or live tweeting dates, I have to manually go through the schedule day by day and skim what is premiering  or hasn’t been shown in a long while which takes more time. 

I specialize in discussing Mary Pickford movies so now it’s much more difficult to find out when they are airing/premiering ahead of time. Though, besides a rare 15 min short subject featuring the famed Coconut Grove and Mary Pickford  in glorious technicolor back in Sept, this is the first time TCM hasn’t shown a single Pickford film in years. But I digress... 

Lastly, I miss the vintage TCM prime time theme listing,  and genre labeling that still existed on the schedules but that’s purely nostalgic pains on my part. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I've seen discussion about where the shorts went.  They're still there....  No, they're not...  Well, they are, but they're not all listed as such.  Seems some "shorts" show up as a documentary.  An 8 minute documentary?  Really?  Anyway, I think I'm seeing a pattern.  It seems the "shorts" show up in the same genre IMDb uses.  For example, The House is Black 2 am on 10/14 shows as a Documentary on both sites; Yours Sincerely 10:09 am 10/13 shows as a short on both sites.  In the case where TCM doesn't use a particular genre, then it shows as General - for example I saw a "short" that IMDb listed as Animation and TCM listed it as General.

Dunno how valid this theory is, but it seems to be consistent from my chair...

• Like 1

I agree with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  The new design is garish and hits you like a sledgehammer.  The previous design was elegant.  They've eliminated Leonard Malten's reviews, which is is grossly disappointing, the genre indications (although, to be fair, the genre's were often  inaccurate - "Horror" was used for sci-fi films).  It drives me crazy whenever a website is re-designed needlessly.  Thumbs (way) down for the new design.

• Thanks 2
40 minutes ago, SueSueApplegate said:

A small hint to why the changes occurred might be obvious when you click on the "Press” link at the bottom of the page....

I clicked on the link. Do you think this redesign is due to TCM being re-branded as part of a "Warner Media" entity? Or am I missing something? If so, that does make sense.  Whatever keeps TCM going and commercial-free.  I was thinking the redesign was due to support for Adobe Flash being discontinued at the end of the year; though I don't really know anything about web design, so I don't even know if the original website ran on Flash.

I don't particularly care about the missing reviews or anything like that.  I didn't use other people's opinions as a reason to not watch something. I just wish the schedule would show the correct movies at the correct time--a simple request, one that seems obvious.  I've found a way around the "Search by Title" feature.  I saved the monthly schedule as a .pdf and then I can use the "Find" <Ctrl+F> feature to search for actors I like and such.  Yes, the genre labels are missing, but I can usually gauge the type of movie it is from the description.  The genre doesn't really factor into whether or not I want to watch it. I usually just look at the actors and director involved and read the synopsis. This is definitely more cumbersome than the old way, I agree. 

I have noticed that the Daily Schedule page (at the top of the browser window) is titled "Daily and Weekly" schedule.  Maybe this whole thing is still a work in progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't seem to get anyone to listen to me. When I look at the schedule on my laptop ALL times are completely off... not just mine which is Mountain.

Am I the only one?

And since I'm here I did prefer the old format over the new. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, SueSueApplegate said:

A small hint to why the changes occurred might be obvious when you click on the "Press” link at the bottom of the page....

Speaking of hints, what ever happened to side-by-side testing before going live with a new site?

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I clicked on the link. Do you think this redesign is due to TCM being re-branded as part of a "Warner Media" entity? Or am I missing something? If so, that does make sense.  Whatever keeps TCM going and commercial-free.  I was thinking the redesign was due to support for Adobe Flash being discontinued at the end of the year; though I don't really know anything about web design, so I don't even know if the original website ran on Flash.

I don't particularly care about the missing reviews or anything like that.  I didn't use other people's opinions as a reason to not watch something. I just wish the schedule would show the correct movies at the correct time--a simple request, one that seems obvious.  I've found a way around the "Search by Title" feature.  I saved the monthly schedule as a .pdf and then I can use the "Find" <Ctrl+F> feature to search for actors I like and such.  Yes, the genre labels are missing, but I can usually gauge the type of movie it is from the description.  The genre doesn't really factor into whether or not I want to watch it. I usually just look at the actors and director involved and read the synopsis. This is definitely more cumbersome than the old way, I agree. 

I have noticed that the Daily Schedule page (at the top of the browser window) is titled "Daily and Weekly" schedule.  Maybe this whole thing is still a work in progress.

Adobe wanted to get rid of Flash.  The only thing keeping it around is longer-standing websites that still use it.  For some that use it more intensively, it is not easy to phase out.  I am able to see every little thing that the operating system on my computer updates, and it still updates Flash Player about once or twice a year for security updates.

The old schedules, the old forum, and the old database search engine didn't rely on Flash.  That is about as much as I ever looked at.  Still no word on any search engine for the "TCM database".

There was indeed a Flash element on the top of the old TCM home page for playing video ads or something.  That was just one element though.  Maybe another was used for the streaming video page?  So no, that doesn't justify the need for a gross overhaul, and right in front of the customers.  This is management-driven.

On the plus side, I can tell that someone has been working on the schedule data source - though it works different now, and isn't something you can readily see on the site.  It is looking more organized now than earlier this month.  The size of the data is much smaller, more in line with the content that should be there.  Before, it was 6.3MB in size for the months of Oct-Dec, with much redundancy on some of the entries.  Now at about 860KB, about 1/7 the size, I don't see redundancy with a quick visual scan.  It seems they have a handle on that.  It is now missing December though.  So their plan for the end result could be for it to only look ahead by one month.   That is just based on what I see right now.  Any of that could change on a whim.  It would be nice to still have the current month + 3 future months available for customer viewing.

I don't have any thoughts on the page header you see.

3 hours ago, Twokeets said:

I think someone else mentioned it, but it's a bit annoying that the time zone always reverts to Eastern, even though I change it to Central when I come here.

Yes the TZ is broken on the new schedule.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Cybele said:

I can't seem to get anyone to listen to me. When I look at the schedule on my laptop ALL times are completely off... not just mine which is Mountain.

Am I the only one?

You're not the only one.

Don't expect an answer from TCM here in this forum.  They generally don't participate in discussions here.  All you'll get is a sympathetic ear from other TCM viewers, I'm afraid.

10 hours ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

I've seen discussion about where the shorts went.  They're still there....  No, they're not...  Well, they are, but they're not all listed as such.  Seems some "shorts" show up as a documentary.  An 8 minute documentary?  Really?  Anyway, I think I'm seeing a pattern.  It seems the "shorts" show up in the same genre IMDb uses.  For example, The House is Black 2 am on 10/14 shows as a Documentary on both sites; Yours Sincerely 10:09 am 10/13 shows as a short on both sites.  In the case where TCM doesn't use a particular genre, then it shows as General - for example I saw a "short" that IMDb listed as Animation and TCM listed it as General.

Dunno how valid this theory is, but it seems to be consistent from my chair...

For my own purposes in defining a short, I use an "or" clause with genre and duration.  Genre must include "Short" or Duration must be < 45 min.  This is along with using IMDB info.

VERY,  VERY sad that I used to be able to see TCM'S entire December schedule on October 1st.  Now I can't even view the November full-month schedule.  Sad.  Sad.  Sad.

You're right, fellow disappointed folks, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  This "fix" is a major disappointment to me.

It's prettier, wider, flashier, but less useful.

Please return the ability to look 3 months ahead.  I used to plan my future movie dates with TCM that far in advance.  Now I can't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Cybele said:

Am I the only one?

I guess it depends how you look at it.  When I look at the schedule, the correct time shows up, but the schedule is 1-2 movies behind. 

6 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

On the plus side, I can tell that someone has been working on the schedule data source - though it works different now, and isn't something you can readily see on the site.  It is looking more organized now than earlier this month.  The size of the data is much smaller, more in line with the content that should be there.  Before, it was 6.3MB in size for the months of Oct-Dec, with much redundancy on some of the entries.  Now at about 860KB, about 1/7 the size, I don't see redundancy with a quick visual scan.  It seems they have a handle on that.  It is now missing December though.  So their plan for the end result could be for it to only look ahead by one month.   That is just based on what I see right now.  Any of that could change on a whim.  It would be nice to still have the current month + 3 future months available for customer viewing.

I don't have any thoughts on the page header you see.

That's good that work is being done on the schedule.  I figured that it would have to be fixed.  You can't have a schedule that is showing the wrong movies at the wrong times. Too bad they weren't working on this new version behind the scenes and keep the old version up until the new version was working properly.

• Like 4

I have to say I really really really hate your new schedule format.  I have to repeatedly select the Pacific Time zone because it always defaults to Eastern, the film format is no longer included at a glance and I used to ne able to check 3 months out and get an email reminder on programs I wanted to watch. Everything is just less user friendly so I am giving up on TCM and its website as your "improvements" have turned me off completely. 

• Like 1

Ok, I have given this new schedule a chance to be fixed.  I like the one from last month better - no pictures needed, the shorts included, etc.  I gave up that that would be fixed.    It is now even worse.  Before my biggest complaint was that I set it on Central time and the times still show Eastern.  Ok, I would just subtract a freaking hour!  Now today looking at the schedule the movie now playing at 5 am my time (Devotion with Ann Harding) shows on the schedule 7 am!  You would think a simple thing like a freaking schedule would be easy to fix!  

• Like 2
15 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

This is along with using IMDB info.

Before umop so kindly shared those JSON links I was scraping the new monthly schedule and used the duration of a title for determining shorts.  But, with the JSON links, I've commented that bit out for the moment, going back to using the genre field in the feed.   And yeah, I get the occasional 9 minute documentary - I've just been dealing with them manually right now...   One thing I do use, though, is the word "short" appearing in parens in an IMDb search - I've been using that to validate that I have the right title link in the search for a short...  TCM's old site used to track that piece of (IMDb) data fairly well, but as I mentioned they seem to be now tracking the genre stated in IMDb's actual description.   The example below turns out to be a Traveltalk that TCM classifies as a documentary.   Still scratching my head on this one....

IMDb Example.jpg

2 hours ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

Before umop so kindly shared those JSON links I was scraping the new monthly schedule and used the duration of a title for determining shorts.  But, with the JSON links, I've commented that bit out for the moment, going back to using the genre field in the feed.   And yeah, I get the occasional 9 minute documentary - I've just been dealing with them manually right now...   One thing I do use, though, is the word "short" appearing in parens in an IMDb search - I've been using that to validate that I have the right title link in the search for a short...  TCM's old site used to track that piece of (IMDb) data fairly well, but as I mentioned they seem to be now tracking the genre stated in IMDb's actual description.   The example below turns out to be a Traveltalk that TCM classifies as a documentary.   Still scratching my head on this one....

IMDb Example.jpg

I PM'd you on this, a bit drawn out and tedious for here.

• Like 1