Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

On 10/2/2020 at 12:45 AM, umop apisdn said:

I poked around the new site for about 30 minutes and was able to find this website for their new API.

https://api.tcm.com/tcmws/v1/schedule/month/us/est/2020-11-01.json

https://api.tcm.com/tcmws/v1/schedule/month/us/est/2020-12-01.json

Just came across these links that somewhat "document" the json links umop found - they seem to be a subset of a larger project that includes persons, titles, etc.  Interesting that you can get other formats, such as xml.  Still has the same - as of now - Nov, Dec limitation in the schedule responses.  

https://api.tcm.com/tcmws/v1/schedule.html

That same project is also available under a "turner" hostname...

http://www.tcm.turner.com/tcmws/v1/schedule.html

(Note: These links were sometimes a bit slow for me.  Be patient...)

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

Just came across these links that somewhat "document" the json links umop found - they seem to be a subset of a larger project that includes persons, titles, etc.  Interesting that you can get other formats, such as xml.  Still has the same - as of now - Nov, Dec limitation in the schedule responses.  

https://api.tcm.com/tcmws/v1/schedule.html

That same project is also available under a "turner" hostname...

http://www.tcm.turner.com/tcmws/v1/schedule.html

(Note: These links were sometimes a bit slow for me.  Be patient...)

circa Feb 2010.  Neither here nor there though.

I am VERY frustrated about this new schedule format. I live on the West coast. The 'Pacific' time option won't 'stick'. So, it's Eastern time...secondly, once I get the time to go to Pacific the schedule is still showing the Eastern time schedule. Can't use it. I really relied on the schedule. Not happy. 

IMO, the worst thing is that in 10-12 years, after another "improvement" to the schedule, there will be widespread ****ing and moaning over the loss of the current abomination.

So it goes.

The old schedule format  wasn't broke. Why-oh-why did you (whoever is the responsible party) think it needed fixing? Were there complaints? Was there a consensus? A vote?

I don't really want answers or excuses. I want the old schedule format back.

• Like 3

While still hoping for a return to the sanity and clarity of the old Daily Program Listing, I've found that using the Monthly Schedule is somewhat better than trying to cope with the nonsense of the Daily. 

Also, it is helpful to arrange for my browser to have the Monthly Schedule as one of the open-at-startup tabs. However, it still defaults to Eastern Time Zone, with no apparent way to lock it into any other.

This computer is on 24/7 so I can leave the Monthly Schedule open, with my Time Zone, and not have to fuss with it for a whole month (or until Window$ forces me to update). However, if I click on an entry to see the details, then go back to the Monthly Schedule, it again defaults to Eastern. ARRRRGGG...

I've seen posts alleging that Management doesn't participate in nor (probably) is not aware of these forum discussions.  So...

tcm.com

Click on Home.  --> Help Center.  Scroll down to the different categories & select Website.  --> Have More Questions? Contact Us  -->  Fill in the form and send them an e-mail expressing your opinion re: Schedule. 

Don't wait. Be a squeaky wheel.

Frequently.

20 hours ago, 20watt said:

I've seen posts alleging that Management doesn't participate in nor (probably) is not aware of these forum discussions.  So...

tcm.com

Click on Home.  --> Help Center.  Scroll down to the different categories & select Website.  --> Have More Questions? Contact Us  -->  Fill in the form and send them an e-mail expressing your opinion re: Schedule. 

Don't wait. Be a squeaky wheel.

Frequently.

I'm sure TCM employees have been reading the thread. They usually do a good job staying abreast of things.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but you can search for any title in the TCM database by using Google (even films that are not currently scheduled).

For example, try Tension (1949)

If you type "TCM Tension 1949" in your Google search box, it will return something like:

"Tension (1949) - Turner Classic Movies (TCM)"

which gives a link to the TCM database entry.  You can click on the Google link to go there.

If you don't know the year of the film, just try "TCM <film name>" and see if that gives you a similar link.  Without the year it is less reliable, so you may need to go to IMDB or Wikipedia to find the year first.

If you go to the monthly schedule and type in the name of the film in the search box, it will show you if the film is coming up on the schedule (includes months after the current month).  Unfortunately, this method only shows films that are currently scheduled.

The Google approach also works for films that are not currently scheduled.

So Google can help you find the TCM film database entries, even if TCM no longer gives you a direct way to go there.

2 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

The only complaint I have is that they start each day at midnight. I printed out the schedule  and was confused at the start times. I think they used to start each morning at 6:00.

This is one change I like. It never made sense to me that previously they were defining a day as 6:00 a.m. to 5:59 a.m. the following morning. 

I prefer the schedule to start at 12:00 a.m. and go to 11:59 p.m.

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

This is one change I like. It never made sense to me that previously they were defining a day as 6:00 a.m. to 5:59 a.m. the following morning. 

I prefer the schedule to start at 12:00 a.m. and go to 11:59 p.m.

Me too. 

Um... What happened to your bizarro avitar, Billy?

Here's an excerpt from a  reply to an email i sent to TCM in which I complained about the new Schedule format:

"Blah... appreciate... blah, blah...

"The team was made aware and are working on a fix for the issue where the schedule defaults to EST and doesn't save user's selected time zone in their cookies.

"Blah.blah... Our team and developers review all feedback submitted through this portal. 

"Etc. etc... Always happy to help."

So!  Progress. Yay!

I again recommend all disgruntled TCM users to send complainatory (?) emails asking, begging, pleading, insisting, demanding a return to the old schedule format.

They won't do that, but it may be a significant enough thorn under their development saddle to make them hurry up the needed changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2