Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

28 minutes ago, 20watt said:

Here's an excerpt from a  reply to an email i sent to TCM in which I complained about the new Schedule format:

"Blah... appreciate... blah, blah...

"The team was made aware and are working on a fix for the issue where the schedule defaults to EST and doesn't save user's selected time zone in their cookies.

"Blah.blah... Our team and developers review all feedback submitted through this portal. 

"Etc. etc... Always happy to help."

So!  Progress. Yay!

I again recommend all disgruntled TCM users to send complainatory (?) emails asking, begging, pleading, insisting, demanding a return to the old schedule format.

They won't do that, but it may be a significant enough thorn under their development saddle to make them hurry up the needed changes.

Interesting. It's good to know they're responding and working on some of the problems.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting. It's good to know they're responding and working on some of the problems.

You have to wonder whether anyone in upper management at TCM ever looks at their own website, or watches the channel, for that matter.   It would take them about 2 seconds to know that the schedule times are off. 

It seems to be the opposite of those stories about Walt Disney walking through Disneyland to make sure things were OK.  

27 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

You have to wonder whether anyone in upper management at TCM ever looks at their own website, or watches the channel, for that matter.   It would take them about 2 seconds to know that the schedule times are off. 

It seems to be the opposite of those stories about Walt Disney walking through Disneyland to make sure things were OK.  

It's a damn good question.

• Like 1

Based on other comments made here and a quick test, my impression is that the web schedule may look fine for those who are lucky enough to live in the Eastern time zone.  So depending on where they are based (Atlanta? New York?) TPTB may be thinking "looks OK to me."

However, if you took a quick look at the comments on the message board and other feedback...

And the fact that we are now over 2 weeks in and no changes have been made for those of us who are geographically not so lucky is very disappointing.

Hi everyone, new here! I created an account just to complain about the new format. I hate everything about it! The old format was fine, and actually user-friendly, the new one is not. What I find most irksome (besides all of it) is that the times for the west coast are wrong.   I emailed TCM about this, the response was to clear my cache. 😐

I'm actually watching less because of the changes. I can stream whatever I want, whenever I want, so why TCM thinks making their user experience less informative or enjoyable is a good move is beyond me. Idiots.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Based on other comments made here and a quick test, my impression is that the web schedule may look fine for those who are lucky enough to live in the Eastern time zone.  So depending on where they are based (Atlanta? New York?) TPTB may be thinking "looks OK to me."

And the fact that we are now over 2 weeks in and no changes have been made (snipped) is very disappointing.

No, the schedule is unreadable by everyone, IF ONLY it was a time zone issue! That would just require simple tabulation to know true broadcast time .

My biggest beef is I cannot view next month's schedule unless I scroll through each day on the present week by week schedule. Why can't I view the entire month? In advance?

And all that's presently listed is the TITLE. I don't know at a glance which version of Gaslight is posted based on the stars on the list. I have to click on the link to open it, an extra step surely added to "track" interest or popularity. Changes to websites is not about us, the users. It's about "how can this website work for our company?"

I know. I have a business and my website is a broadcast advertisement bringing customers to me from far & wide. Especially important in the last 9 months when all traditional publicity venues are verboten. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

No, the schedule is unreadable by everyone, IF ONLY it was a time zone issue! That would just require simple tabulation to know true broadcast time .

My biggest beef is I cannot view next month's schedule unless I scroll through each day on the present week by week schedule. Why can't I view the entire month? In advance?

And all that's presently listed is the TITLE. I don't know at a glance which version of Gaslight is posted based on the stars on the list. I have to click on the link to open it, an extra step surely added to "track" interest or popularity. Changes to websites is not about us, the users. It's about "how can this website work for our company?"

I know. I have a business and my website is a broadcast advertisement bringing customers to me from far & wide. Especially important in the last 9 months when all traditional publicity venues are verboten. 

Just to be clear, I was not trying to say that incorrect times is the only issue with the new schedule.  In fact, I started a thread in order to list what people thought were the important issues to fix:

Forums - Schedule Wish List

Since I assume that getting the titles and times correct is the number 1 responsibility for a movie channel schedule, I was trying to understand how the current system could be acceptable to anyone.  So that is why I mentioned the times are apparently correct for those who live in the Eastern time zone.  At least the fundamental requirement of a schedule is met for them, so that may give some cover for those who don't know or don't care about the rest of us.

By listing things to "fix" with the new schedule system, I was also trying to meet them half-way.  Like many, I too would be thrilled if things just went back to the way they were.  But to be realistic I can't see that happening.  Short of that, I was hoping that someone would make a good-faith effort to fix the obvious problems and/or restore a bit of the basic functionality we were used to.  Only time will tell if things will eventually change for the better.  But since 2 weeks have passed and the times are still not correct for 75% of the country it's not looking good.

• Like 1

I'm unhappy about the new format for the TCM schedule. The main thing I dislike is that I can't find any reviews from critics for each movie. When I click on the "Articles and Reviews" link, only the article appears. Am I missing something here?  Formerly, there were tabs for "other reviews" and "user reviews" Where have they gone?  For me, these review collections were among the main pleasures of this website.  It would have been nice if TCM had  done a viewer survey to find out what people like about the (old) website and what they didn't like.  But, as is so typical in the corporate world, change for the sake of change is the norm -- whether it's an improvement or not..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many issues with the new TCM website/schedule.

1. When I view the daily schedule and plug in my time zone (PST) IT DOESN'T STAY THERE if I  "get more information" from the site. It reverts to EST. 

2. I contacted TCM about the lack of director on certain films and received a somewhat rude reply with  screenshot of a film which had the director listed.  THIS ISN'T TRUE FOR ALL FILMS.  So again had to go to IMDB for info. Maybe the creators of this site should check IMDB for director info if they don't have it?

3. What happened to the email me feature? 

4. Have the Imports disappeared?  No section on the homepage for them.  

PREFER THE FORMER LAYOUT but I doubt if our input here will have any effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Like others, I too registered for the #1 reason to tender my complaint about the new website.  I've been watching Turner Classic Movies since its inception in April 1994, WAY before the Internet - back when we used to anxiously for the TV Guide to show up in the US mail.  A little background - I'm 64 years old, retired after a lifetime in IT, so I am generally "unafraid" of new things - IF they are improvements!  This website change is an EPIC fail - SO clearly redesigned simply "for the sake of change".  It reminds me of when you go into your favorite grocery/sundry store and find all the aisles/products rearranged - 99% of the time it's coincident to the arrival of a new "manager" flexing his or her muscles...

Has anyone started a petition that can be submitted to the powers that be?  My "Wayback Machine" is broken, or I would summarily climb into it with my flatscreen TV under my arm, LOL...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To the newer posters -

Here.  Bookmark this.  October through December.  And then January in due time, if it is meant to be.
https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched.htm

P.S. and if you don't like that, here are older saved copies of Nov and Dec.  But they are already or will someday be obsolete:

Nov
https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/broadcast_2020_11_pulled_2020_09_28.html

Dec
https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/broadcast_2020_12_pulled_2020_09_28.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
5 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Here.  Bookmark this.  October through December.  And then January in due time, if it is meant to be.

tenor.gif

This thank you ^^^ looks like me, but this is how I feel -

giphy.gif

I quickly downloaded all 3 files as a PDF to easily read/reference it.

Hope the powers that be see what you've crafted & follow....

• Like 2
22 hours ago, psmoviephile said:

When you say you got in touch with TCM and received a reply, how DO you get in touch with TCM, or at least the dept. in charge of the schedule page?

Go to:  tcm.com

Click on Home.  --> Help Center.  Scroll down to the different categories & select Website.  --> Have More Questions? Contact Us  -->  Fill in the form and send them an e-mail expressing your opinion re: Schedule. 

You'll get a response, mostly boilerplate about how much they value your views, and avowals that they are "trying our hardest to make TCM.com the best experience it can be..."

Demand a return to the old schedule format.

They will not do that. But, maybe... maybe, if a LARGE number of people storm the castle with flaming torches and pointy pitchforks...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
18 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

I don't ask much but as a devout long time TCM viewer and a former Guest Programmer I feel emboldened to say...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT'S HOLY PLEASE REVERT TO THE OLD FORMAT!!!!

I have found NOTHING redeemable with this new change.

Hey yancey,

For our newer posters (and the old timers who forgot) can you tell us which film you introduced? It was a British war film, yes?

And is your wraparound with Robert Osborne available online anywhere?

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Hey yancey,

For our newer posters (and the old timers who forgot) can you tell us which film you introduced? It was a British war film, yes?

And is your wraparound with Robert Osborne available online anywhere?

Thanks TopBilled - The film was WENT THE DAY WELL? (1942) directed by Cavalcanti and starring among others Leslie Banks.  My wrap-arounds are not currently posted anywhere that I am aware of.

WENT THE DAY WELL?  is definitely a fun watch. I'm quite proud of the fact that screening was the TCM Premiere.  The whole event was one of the happiest moments of my life.

WTDW? has aired at least once since I helped introduce it. Robert Osborne intro'd it solo that time. That'll give you a general idea when it was last on.

• Like 2

The jig is up:

uO2wxaF.jpg

(I had never put 2 and 2 together before.)

Hope you don't mind me posting this photo.  You did a very nice job introducing the movie.  And what an honor to discuss the film with the man himself!  Also hope you still have that TCM mug  😉

• Like 3