Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks


Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Hi MovieCollectorOH,

I think both of the schedules under Nov and Dec are for September.

It's just the banner that is for September. The old schedule worked that way; even when you were looking into future months, the current month's banner remained at the top of the page.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

It's just the banner that is for September. The old schedule worked that way; even when you were looking into future months, the current month's banner remained at the top of the page.

As the Great and Powerful Oz would say, "Pay no attention to that banner behind the curtain!"

(A bit of a stretch, I know.)

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

Looks like the schedule times are incorrect again....

I have done about all I can do, which is to watch the feeds for any significant changes to data structure, etc, and then make my own reports based upon that.  If you click on the 2nd link, it goes to a "new feed" schedule which I recently put up.  It has a "PST" field which has been "null" since I first developed this.  I put it in, in case they might start to use it.
https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched.htm

https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched-new.htm

There weren't any changes to the feeds when it was reported that the times had been fixed, and there aren't any changes now.  So anything going on now would probably have likely be with client-side JS which reads and interprets the TZ data.  Either an outright error in the logic or else perhaps in the way TZ inferences are being made with JS.  I could probably get to the bottom of why it isn't working, i.e. have a look at conventional client-side JS TZ implementations that do work and then see where this thing falls short, but that is beyond my pay grade here.  One would think this part of the project is low-hanging fruit - just start with some templates that work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Barton_Keyes said:

Anyone been seeing this on the schedule this afternoon?

Maybe some action is finally being taken on the complaints they have been getting on social media and email (there have been many). I still find it hard to believe that TCM would completely overhaul the website overnight without any user acceptance testing whatsoever -- it's standard practice in my experience to do so.

1974950097_ScreenShot2020-10-20at8_06_31PM.thumb.png.e3df8b314a71f4683547d97acea7e1c1.png

I don't see what changed there.  It must have been interesting enough to mention.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I have done about all I can do, which is to watch the feeds for any significant changes to data structure, etc, and then make my own reports based upon that.  If you click on the 2nd link, it goes to a "new feed" schedule which I recently put up.  It has a "PST" field which has been "null" since I first developed this.  I put it in, in case they might start to use it.
https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched.htm

https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched-new.htm

There weren't any changes to the feeds when it was reported that the times had been fixed, and there aren't any changes now.  So anything going on now would probably have likely be with client-side JS which reads and interprets the TZ data.  Either an outright error in the logic or else perhaps in the way TZ inferences are being made with JS.  I could probably get to the bottom of why it isn't working, i.e. have a look at conventional client-side JS TZ implementations that do work and then see where this thing falls short, but that is beyond my pay grade here.  One would think this part of the project is low-hanging fruit - just start with some templates that work.

I noticed yesterday that TCM changed the schedule for this morning to remove The Third Miracle and add Dr. Kildare's Wedding Day for later in the day.  These changes are reflected in the "new" feed but apparently TCM did not incorporate them in the "old" (stable) feed.  So based on that I think I will be using the second link above as my schedule reference so I can see the latest updates.  (Assuming this pattern holds in the future.)

Thank you again MCOH for making these schedules available.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

I noticed yesterday that TCM changed the schedule for this morning to remove The Third Miracle and add Dr. Kildare's Wedding Day for later in the day.  These changes are reflected in the "new" feed but apparently TCM did not incorporate them in the "old" (stable) feed.  So based on that I think I will be using the second link above as my schedule reference so I can see the latest updates.  (Assuming this pattern holds in the future.)

Thank you again MCOH for making these schedules available.

You're welcome, and thanks for pointing that change out.  In addition I already have the means to use either feed for the database project, just swap a script when the time is right.

I might have to rename that new one then - maybe to "working/development", but not yet "stable" - that is a goal.  ;)

Furthermore, it looks like they are dropping the technical specs (Color, AR, Letterbox) as they can't guarantee what version they will get.

As long as the movies keep flowing, like wine.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This new schedule is not working for me at all. I want a quick glance at the schedule for the next 12ish hours at any one time to see some basic info and the ability to easily move back and forward thru the week. I can see how the old schedule wasn't glamorous but it sure got the job done. This new one is a fail on several levels.

1. Right now the schedule thinks the movie on is one that was on 3 movies ago. I'm in Arizona. It doesn't matter if I choose PST or MST or no time zone the times and movies are all wrong.

2. The last movie on the list is actually on next. It's only Wed 5pm here in AZ and for me to find out what's on this evening I have to move to Th after midnight and do mental time zone gymnastics.

3. Even if I liked the layout of the schedule, I have to do way too much clicking to find out basics like is it a romance, or drama, etc. If I click on the movie to find out more then come back to the schedule I have to reset the time zone again (which doesn't work).

4. I'm also not crazy about the look. I get the black and white concept and it has some appeal, but it screams too much wasted space. Don't make me work so hard by clicking so many things to find out what's on. I actually found a lot of the info once you clicked on the movie useful. But the simple schedule jump off point is miserable.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buttercup08 said:

This new schedule is not working for me at all. I want a quick glance at the schedule for the next 12ish hours at any one time to see some basic info and the ability to easily move back and forward thru the week. I can see how the old schedule wasn't glamorous but it sure got the job done. This new one is a fail on several levels.

1. Right now the schedule thinks the movie on is one that was on 3 movies ago. I'm in Arizona. It doesn't matter if I choose PST or MST or no time zone the times and movies are all wrong.

2. The last movie on the list is actually on next. It's only Wed 5pm here in AZ and for me to find out what's on this evening I have to move to Th after midnight and do mental time zone gymnastics.

3. Even if I liked the layout of the schedule, I have to do way too much clicking to find out basics like is it a romance, or drama, etc. If I click on the movie to find out more then come back to the schedule I have to reset the time zone again (which doesn't work).

4. I'm also not crazy about the look. I get the black and white concept and it has some appeal, but it screams too much wasted space. Don't make me work so hard by clicking so many things to find out what's on. I actually found a lot of the info once you clicked on the movie useful. But the simple schedule jump off point is miserable.

Thanks for your comment. I'm in Arizona also. I like how you said the old schedule wasn't glamorous but got the job done.

It's about substance over style. Or to be more specific, functionality.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm.  The schedule was working properly.  But now it's regressed and is back to showing the wrong times.  I'm literally watching Beast in the City right now on TCM and per the schedule, I'm still in the Dr. Kildare marathon.

Come on TCM, do whatever you did before to make it work.

MFW I was using a candle as a butt plug, but someone accidentally pulls it  out. - Album on Imgur

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not one to complain much, but, I have to agree the schedule section was perfectly fine before.

Having to literally scroll to today, then only to see one movie at a time is just awkward.

This is a case of  image001.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Filling up half the screen with black banners is ridiculous. The film schedule view is reduced to a mail-slot window that you peek into.
This is not necessary. The full-screen schedule exists underneath all the black banners.
To see that, you just need to remove those banners.

If you're up for editing some html code, here's a way to do that:

Go to the TCM Monthly Schedule page.

Right click your mouse in that page to bring up the context menu.
Select "Save Page as..." and save the page to your computer. It'll take a moment. It's over 13 meg.

Open the .htm file in a simple text editor. Windows Notepad is good for this sort of thing.

(Following line numbers are for October 2020 page.)

Go to line 89. Highlight and delete these two lines:

    <header class="watch__header monthly__schedule" role="banner" aria-label="Site header">
                        <div class="section layout-container clearfix tcm-header-wrap">

Go to line 347. Highlight and delete this block:

                </header>

              <div class="dialog-off-canvas-main-canvas" data-off-canvas-main-canvas="">
    <div id="page-wrapper">
    <div id="page">
        <div id="main-wrapper" class="layout-main-wrapper layout-container clearfix tcm__main-wrapper">
            <div id="main" class="clearfix">
                <main id="content" class="column tcm__container film-detail" role="main">
                    <header class="schedule__header" style="top: 142px;">
                        <section class="schedule__header--wrap">
                            <div class="schedule__billboard ">
                                <div class="schedule__title">
                                    <h1>Monthly Schedule</h1>
                                    
                                    <div class="schedule__header--search">
                                        <input name="schedule-header-search" placeholder="Search film title..." id="searchBox" type="search">
                                        <i class="schedule__header--search__clear hidden"></i>
                                        <div class="button print" onclick="window.print(); return false;">print</div>
                                        <div class="timezone-container">
                                            <div class="button timezone-btn">
                                                <span>u.s./eastern</span>
                                                 <i class="timezone-container__caret"></i>
                                            </div>
                                            <div class="timezone-overlay-content">
                                                <ul id="time-zone" class="timezone-content">
                                                    <img src="TCM%20Monthly%20Schedule%20-%20View%20the%20Full%20TCM%20TV%20Schedule%20-%20Turner%20Classic%20Movies_files/modal-close.svg" id="close-modal">
                                                    <h2>Country</h2>
                                                    <div class="split-line"></div>
                                                    <li class="schedule active" data-schedule="us-schedule">U.S.</li>
                                                    <li class="schedule can" data-schedule="ca-schedule">Canada</li>
                                                    <h2>Timezone</h2>
                                                    <div class="split-line"></div>
                                                    <li class="timezone active" data-timezone="et">Eastern</li>
                                                    <li class="timezone" data-timezone="ct">Central</li>
                                                    <li class="timezone" data-timezone="mt">Mountain</li>
                                                    <li class="timezone" data-timezone="pt">Pacific</li>
                                                    <div id="time-zone__buttons">
                                                        <span id="cancel-button">CANCEL</span>
                                                        <span id="apply-button">APPLY</span>
                                                    </div>
                                                </ul>
                                            </div>
                                        </div>
                                    </div>
                                </div>
                            </div>
                        </section>
                    </header>

Go to line 25032 (Deleting the stuff above will change this number to around 24983).
Highlight and delete this block:

    <div class="universal-footer__ribbon active">
    <div class="universal-footer__ribbon__content">
        By using this site, you agree to our updated <a href="https://policies.warnerbros.com/privacy/?icid=footer3-privacy-policy" target="_blank">Privacy Policy</a> and our <a href="https://policies.warnerbros.com/terms/en-us/" target="_blank">Terms of Use</a>
        <i class="universal-footer__ribbon__content__clear "></i>
    </div>
</div>

Save the .htm file.

Open the .htm file in your web browser.  Zoom out to taste.
289884016_TCMMonthSchedule.thumb.jpg.692b4e3039d8af2642d8ee77425332c4.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This new format is SO frustrating!  The best thing about the old website was seeing the whole day's line-up on one page. Then able to click on a movie and be able to click on all the details! Including Leonard Maltin's reviews as well as other viewers' comments.  And it was easy to scroll day by day and see the whole line-up and plan accordingly.

Not sure who thought this was an improvement, but they are obviously not fans of TCM. 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 6:22 PM, 20watt said:

Here's an excerpt from a  reply to an email i sent to TCM in which I complained about the new Schedule format:

"Blah... appreciate... blah, blah...

"The team was made aware and are working on a fix for the issue where the schedule defaults to EST and doesn't save user's selected time zone in their cookies.

"Blah.blah... Our team and developers review all feedback submitted through this portal. 

"Etc. etc... Always happy to help."

So!  Progress. Yay!

I again recommend all disgruntled TCM users to send complainatory (?) emails asking, begging, pleading, insisting, demanding a return to the old schedule format.

They won't do that, but it may be a significant enough thorn under their development saddle to make them hurry up the needed changes.

Sounds like the meeting I was in at work the other day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 1:01 AM, Kshep said:

This new format is SO frustrating!  The best thing about the old website was seeing the whole day's line-up on one page. Then able to click on a movie and be able to click on all the details! Including Leonard Maltin's reviews as well as other viewers' comments.  And it was easy to scroll day by day and see the whole line-up and plan accordingly.

Not sure who thought this was an improvement, but they are obviously not fans of TCM. 

 

Oh! I hate the new format!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

Sounds like the meeting I was in at work the other day.

Speaking of corporate word salad - About 20 years ago I tried using the Dilbert Performance Review Generator at a desk job, and it really helped out.  (This was back when things like this on the Internet were still a fresh idea.)  It had a bare-minimum of any real content and was ridden with cliches, meaningless platitudes, relativism, and silly perfunctory corporate-speak of the day.  My supervisor absolutely loved it.  She complimented me on my performance review every day for about a week, and there wasn't any sarcasm on her part.  It helped me out because I just never learned to talk like that in the music world or in the engineering world.  This had all come about with the silly corporate consultants that had emerged sometime in the 1990s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 11:39 PM, AreaMan said:

Filling up half the screen with black banners is ridiculous. The film schedule view is reduced to a mail-slot window that you peek into.
This is not necessary. The full-screen schedule exists underneath all the black banners.
To see that, you just need to remove those banners.

If you're up for editing some html code, here's a way to do that:

Go to the TCM Monthly Schedule page.

Right click your mouse in that page to bring up the context menu.
Select "Save Page as..." and save the page to your computer. It'll take a moment. It's over 13 meg.

Open the .htm file in a simple text editor. Windows Notepad is good for this sort of thing.

(Following line numbers are for October 2020 page.)

Go to line 89. Highlight and delete these two lines:

    <header class="watch__header monthly__schedule" role="banner" aria-label="Site header">
                        <div class="section layout-container clearfix tcm-header-wrap">

Go to line 347. Highlight and delete this block:

                </header>

              <div class="dialog-off-canvas-main-canvas" data-off-canvas-main-canvas="">
    <div id="page-wrapper">
    <div id="page">
        <div id="main-wrapper" class="layout-main-wrapper layout-container clearfix tcm__main-wrapper">
            <div id="main" class="clearfix">
                <main id="content" class="column tcm__container film-detail" role="main">
                    <header class="schedule__header" style="top: 142px;">
                        <section class="schedule__header--wrap">
                            <div class="schedule__billboard ">
                                <div class="schedule__title">
                                    <h1>Monthly Schedule</h1>
                                    
                                    <div class="schedule__header--search">
                                        <input name="schedule-header-search" placeholder="Search film title..." id="searchBox" type="search">
                                        <i class="schedule__header--search__clear hidden"></i>
                                        <div class="button print" onclick="window.print(); return false;">print</div>
                                        <div class="timezone-container">
                                            <div class="button timezone-btn">
                                                <span>u.s./eastern</span>
                                                 <i class="timezone-container__caret"></i>
                                            </div>
                                            <div class="timezone-overlay-content">
                                                <ul id="time-zone" class="timezone-content">
                                                    <img src="TCM%20Monthly%20Schedule%20-%20View%20the%20Full%20TCM%20TV%20Schedule%20-%20Turner%20Classic%20Movies_files/modal-close.svg" id="close-modal">
                                                    <h2>Country</h2>
                                                    <div class="split-line"></div>
                                                    <li class="schedule active" data-schedule="us-schedule">U.S.</li>
                                                    <li class="schedule can" data-schedule="ca-schedule">Canada</li>
                                                    <h2>Timezone</h2>
                                                    <div class="split-line"></div>
                                                    <li class="timezone active" data-timezone="et">Eastern</li>
                                                    <li class="timezone" data-timezone="ct">Central</li>
                                                    <li class="timezone" data-timezone="mt">Mountain</li>
                                                    <li class="timezone" data-timezone="pt">Pacific</li>
                                                    <div id="time-zone__buttons">
                                                        <span id="cancel-button">CANCEL</span>
                                                        <span id="apply-button">APPLY</span>
                                                    </div>
                                                </ul>
                                            </div>
                                        </div>
                                    </div>
                                </div>
                            </div>
                        </section>
                    </header>

Go to line 25032 (Deleting the stuff above will change this number to around 24983).
Highlight and delete this block:

    <div class="universal-footer__ribbon active">
    <div class="universal-footer__ribbon__content">
        By using this site, you agree to our updated <a href="https://policies.warnerbros.com/privacy/?icid=footer3-privacy-policy" target="_blank">Privacy Policy</a> and our <a href="https://policies.warnerbros.com/terms/en-us/" target="_blank">Terms of Use</a>
        <i class="universal-footer__ribbon__content__clear "></i>
    </div>
</div>

Save the .htm file.

Open the .htm file in your web browser.  Zoom out to taste.
289884016_TCMMonthSchedule.thumb.jpg.692b4e3039d8af2642d8ee77425332c4.jpg

Something like that might be a viable idea for automated updates, as I am doing,  if one were to use scripted text filtering to find and remove said text blocks.  This looks to be a possibility as each text block starts off with something unique.

I did my unique version of the schedule, which gets its data directly from the same JSON data source as they do, and whose output is far more simple.  Just for the very purpose of getting data across from point A to point B in a concise and technically elegant manner (robust and less chance of software issues or errors being introduced).  My script just reads the data source, and outputs some fields and plunks down some  tags to build a browser-compatible HTML file.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can't figure out why in the world you folks at  TCM would change the schedule format. I loved getting up mornings, bringing up the schedule to plan my chores around the schedule. Also on Sundays I loved finding out what the Sunday Silent was going to be. The scheduling was perfect, now it is worthless.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This new format is awful.  Posters here have excused away that it is good.  As a result, my viewing of TCM has declined.  I cannot find what I want easily so that I can plan to watch what I want to watch.

I'm not a Harvard Educated CEO.  I do know two things: 1) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  2) Ignore your customers at your peril.  Here TCM is ignoring its customers' dislike for the format.  After all, they are just the stupid viewers.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 10:25 AM, txfilmfan said:

If you're asking about comments/issues/complaints raised in these forums, the answer is no.   TCM management doesn't respond to issues or complaints raised here.  Do they monitor the threads?  Maybe.  But I seriously doubt it. 

E-mails, old-fashioned letters, and social media posts may get more attention.

 

 

Actually, no. 

I contacted TCM 9 months ago via email because I thought Hulu had removed TCM.  I sent a well written email to TCM, stating that Hulu had referred me to TCM about this matter.  The response that I received from TCM was to contact Hulu.

So, this damn stupid customer of TCM was just trying to continue to view TCM for which it would make money.  This response was asinine.

And, the lack of TCM giving a damn about its viewers not liking it new schedule format is the proverbial "writing on the wall" that TCM is doomed.

I can easily view something else, particularly when I am ignored and comments about a poor schedule line up are ignored.

Ted Turner must be vomiting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LKitten16 said:

Sorry if this was mentioned, I didn't see it.

 

Is there a way to search when a movie will be on? I don't see it anymore. 

There is a search box on the Daily and Monthly schedule pages you can use to search for movies, but they both have their quirks:

- The Daily Schedule search will find movies that are scheduled from today's date and on into the future (the current TCM schedules are defined through the end of December).  However, movies that have been shown more than a day ago will not be found (unless they have another showing in the future).

- The Monthly Schedule search will find any movie that is scheduled this month, even if it has already been shown.  However, it will not find movies that are scheduled after this month.

So a search using the Daily Schedule page is the best way to find if a movie of interest is coming up.

The Daily Schedule page is at

https://www.tcm.com/schedule?icid=mainnav15-daily-schedule

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 10:01 PM, Kshep said:

This new format is SO frustrating!  The best thing about the old website was seeing the whole day's line-up on one page. Then able to click on a movie and be able to click on all the details! Including Leonard Maltin's reviews as well as other viewers' comments.  And it was easy to scroll day by day and see the whole line-up and plan accordingly.

Not sure who thought this was an improvement, but they are obviously not fans of TCM. 

Interesting comment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...