Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

On 10/29/2020 at 4:17 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

So you can tell either by going to the official Daily schedule and working your way ahead, or by going to my unofficial schedule and scrolling all the way down (same exact data, more concise to look at).  I am going with this page from now on, it gets updated in the evenings:
https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched-new.htm

I see you've posted January's schedule.  Thank you and bless you!

• Like 3

I am new to this group, so I am sorry that my first post has to be negative.  I found it when I Googled information on TCM's new Monthly Schedule format.  JoeM, I don't agree with you that surely people will adjust to the new format.  Or, if we do,  it is only because we are forced to do so.  I miss seeing what the various themes were, both daytime and prime time.  At a glance, I could see if the topic was one of interest to me, say "Pre-Code Musicals" or "Billy Wilder's Birthday." (Tonight's seems to be "Cowardly Sheriffs.")  Why do the programmers bother to have themes if they can't be expressed?  More dumbing down, it seems to me.  TCM viewers are obsessed with good movies, and the more information you give us, the happier we are.  Someone at HQ must understand that!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
19 minutes ago, CookbookRick said:

I am new to this group, so I am sorry that my first post has to be negative.  I found it when I Googled information on TCM's new Monthly Schedule format.  JoeM, I don't agree with you that surely people will adjust to the new format.  Or, if we do,  it is only because we are forced to do so.  I miss seeing what the various themes were, both daytime and prime time.  At a glance, I could see if the topic was one of interest to me, say "Pre-Code Musicals" or "Billy Wilder's Birthday." (Tonight's seems to be "Cowardly Sheriffs.")  Why do the programmers bother to have themes if they can't be expressed?  More dumbing down, it seems to me.  TCM viewers are obsessed with good movies, and the more information you give us, the happier we are.  Someone at HQ must understand that!  

You may wish to subscribe to the email Now Playing Guide.  Used to be printed and mailed to subscribers, but over much protest TCM converted to email.  It usually shows the themes and so forth.

https://preferences.tcm.com/?onlydisplay=nowplaying

totally agree. This new website has no character at all. Just mimics other basic sites out there. Why change what was just fine.

You cannot find anything anymore on this site.  Piece of crap.  TCM making so many changes in too short a time. That method usually comes up short - and it has in this case!  Please incorporate the old site with all the things that could be found right on the HOME page!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

just a quick note on the api for fetching schedule data (json format). Others have provided the links in url format for both daily and monthly schedule data.

It appears that the daily form will include Maltin review data (if requested), For example, to fetch November 1 - November 7 for west coast time you can use:

https://api.tcm.com/tcmws/v1/schedule/us/pst/2020-11-01.json?days=7&includes=maltin

this data is easily processed using various languages such as java or swift. Unfortunately the "daily" data starts at 6am and goes for 24 hours, so if you want the actual full schedule for the time frame you would have to have start date of 2020-10-31 and 8 days.

You can get a tree view of the data by using FireFox browser and plug in the above link. It will display a nicely formatted view of the json data structure which you can then save to a local file and process as desired.

There is also a monthly view (which does not return Maltin data) and a weekly view (which does seem to include Maltin if requested).

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, alfansome said:

just a quick note on the api for fetching schedule data (json format). Others have provided the links in url format for both daily and monthly schedule data.

It appears that the daily form will include Maltin review data (if requested), For example, to fetch November 1 - November 7 for west coast time you can use:

https://api.tcm.com/tcmws/v1/schedule/us/pst/2020-11-01.json?days=7&includes=maltin

this data is easily processed using various languages such as java or swift. Unfortunately the "daily" data starts at 6am and goes for 24 hours, so if you want the actual full schedule for the time frame you would have to have start date of 2020-10-31 and 8 days.

You can get a tree view of the data by using FireFox browser and plug in the above link. It will display a nicely formatted view of the json data structure which you can then save to a local file and process as desired.

There is also a monthly view (which does not return Maltin data) and a weekly view (which does seem to include Maltin if requested).

Meh...  Kind of turns it into a gooey mess.  But in our happy little world there isn't any such thing as a gooey mess, just over-rated opinion:
https://moviecollectoroh.com/tmp/sched-maltin.htm

• Thanks 1
On 11/8/2020 at 8:36 AM, CookbookRick said:

Agree with you...dont think I will adjust to new schedule formats anytime soon.
I'd use their Monthly Schedule more often though, if the header info wouldnt stay locked.
Until they fix that, will use MCOH's big big schedule instead.
Have sent several comments to TCM webpage folks over the past month on these changes.
Some of the replies say they understand how the new "upgraded" format will take time getting used to.
Since I think the new format is inferior, I would call it a change instead of an "upgrade",
Like with so many so called software updates / upgrades ... usually turn out to be changes instead of improvements.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For newer posters, I have put together my own version of the new schedule.  It shows as many months into the future as their newer schedule contains.

You can see future months now either by going to the official Daily schedule and working your way ahead, or by going to my unofficial schedule and scrolling all the way down (same exact data, more concise to look at).  I am going with this page from now on, it gets updated at least a couple times a day, using the same data source they use, to mirror their schedule changes on an ongoing basis:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’m enjoying the Neglected Classics selected by Leonard Maltin.  They remind be of Robert Osborne’s Bob’s Picks.  It eould be nice if they were on monthly. 🎬

• Like 2
23 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

For newer posters, I have put together my own version of the new schedule.  It shows as many months into the future as their newer schedule contains.

You can see future months now either by going to the official Daily schedule and working your way ahead, or by going to my unofficial schedule and scrolling all the way down (same exact data, more concise to look at).  I am going with this page from now on, it gets updated at least a couple times a day, using the same data source they use, to mirror their schedule changes on an ongoing basis:

This one doesn't include January, while https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched-new.htm

did; does that mean we won't see as far into the future any more?

MCOH posted a link in the thread titled "January 2021" that shows the schedule all the way to the end of January. I think it's the very first post in that thread. You'll have to scroll way down to get to January.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ECL said:

This one doesn't include January, while https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched-new.htm

did; does that mean we won't see as far into the future any more?

Maybe.

My "new feed" schedule is updated a few times a day.  It receives the same exact information that their current Daily schedule receives, making it accurate and up-to-date.  Since it uses the same data source that the official schedule does, its future is also somewhat guaranteed. 

My "old feed" schedule is based on an older "API" data source which seems to have mirrored the data patterns of their older schedules.  It produced more future months at a time than it looks like their new schedule apparently will, but none of this is set in stone.  It preceded the new official schedule and its future is not certain.
https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched.htm

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This thread seems to have taken on a life of its own.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This thread seems to have taken on a life of its own.

Yes, it has... But that's what happens when something that you've been accustomed to having for a long time is taken away arbitrarily. People find ways to get it. That's what we're seeing here.

45 minutes ago, skipd55 said:

Yes, it has... But that's what happens when something that you've been accustomed to having for a long time is taken away arbitrarily. People find ways to get it. That's what we're seeing here.

Thanks. What I meant is that I thought it would fall off page one after the first or second week. But because TCM did not really address the long-time website users' concerns about the changes, people continued to be angry and the thread remained "hot."

• Like 1

......And we still haven't heard from anybody in the TCM ivory tower, where the programming is done, reply in this thread.

As I previously mentioned, in days of yor in this thread, when the change happened, there's no way now to know when the Shorts or Documentaries are coming. The solutions others here have provided for movies are very helpful, Thank You! For the other genres, we're stuck. The local Comcrap  doesn't provide the listings for them, either. Sure would be nice to get this fixed, or just put back the old guide until we can get a better improved version that gets beta tested by those of us that use it (and by way of extension, pay the bills for TCM by watching......... nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean, know what I mean?!?!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 11/14/2020 at 2:55 PM, sewhite2000 said:

It's like that thread when one of the cable providers moved TCM to a "sports and entertainment" package and charged an extra $10/month for it. People were hot about that for much longer than I expected.

I'm still hot about that... and I'm still paying the extra ten bucks a month.

On 11/15/2020 at 4:03 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Sorry about that. You're the only person on here I can remember saying they actually paid the new fee! In my memory, maybe at least 15 people on here said they were dropping their cable altogether.

I think our cable company (Cablevision/Optimum) instituted a level between no TCM or sports and both which included TCM but not sports.  However, they did not advertise it; it was only when we called to complain that they mentioned it. 😞

It is really horrible. You used to be able to search for a movie that would show months later and get an email reminder. I loved that. You can only search now for one month. I do not like one thing about the new format. It is almost unusable, certainly inaccessible to most people. Did you want fewer people to watch? You certainly have accomplished that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hmmmm.......

Am I the only one that's noticed this topic gets bumped further back, even with 17+ pages of comments.

Thought I would add a knock knock joke for the programmers, maybe bring a smile to their faces, but nobody seems to be at home......

• Sad 1