Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

2 minutes ago, Vidor said:

I rarely look at the website schedule.  I usually just click through my DVR guide a few days at a time.

You guys are right, it's terrible now!

At first I felt this thread was just another "let me complain" thread,  but I also needed to check the TCM schedule to see what the Noir Alley film would be and yea,   the design of the website is really poor (as well as much slower).

As Howard Cosell used to say: "Who Goofed I've got to know."

• Thanks 3
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

At first I felt this thread was just another "let me complain" thread,  but I also needed to check the TCM schedule to see what the Noir Alley film would be and yea,   the design of the website is really poor (as well as much slower).

As Howard Cosell used to say: "Who Goofed I've got to know."

For the record, it did not start as a "complain" thread. It was a thread announcing the redesign. Early on, there was one poster who liked it. But the naysayers took over. LOL

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

For the record, it did not start as a "complain" thread. It was a thread announcing the redesign. Early on, there was one poster who liked it. But the naysayers took over. LOL

It's like the one guy in the audience that liked the opening number in "Springtime for Hitler".  The rest of the audience turned to beat him up and started walking out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
22 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

It's like the one guy in the audience that liked the opening number in "Springtime for Hitler".  The rest of the audience turned to beat him up and started walking out.

Well yeah, that's one way of characterizing it.

17 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, that would be me. Still like the new redesign. As with any change, many, many other members here hate any change.

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

As with any change, many, many other members here hate any change.

It's not "any change".  It's about taking away more than 1 month on the upcoming schedule.  It's about removing any note of daytime or evening themes.  It's about formatting the whole schedule to be read on a tiny screen.   It's about the page developers saying "drop dead" to anybody who still prefers viewing anything on a laptop or desktop.  It's about the attitude that viewers will accept anything, no matter how bad, poorly designed, or (almost) universally  deplored.

Change is inevitable.   

Bad changes shouldn't be.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
54 minutes ago, BenHere said:

It's not "any change".  It's about taking away more than 1 month on the upcoming schedule.  It's about removing any note of daytime or evening themes.  It's about formatting the whole schedule to be read on a tiny screen.   It's about the page developers saying "drop dead" to anybody who still prefers viewing anything on a laptop or desktop.  It's about the attitude that viewers will accept anything, no matter how bad, poorly designed, or (almost) universally  deplored.

Change is inevitable.   

Bad changes shouldn't be.

Baa humbug to you too! Listen, TCM has the right to make changes to their website. TCM can and will make any changes they so desire. They probably have read many of the comments on this thread. But I am sure they made these changes due to the fact that many users of their website are now using smartphones and tablets to view their programming. And there are going to be technical challenges due to the limitations of cell phones and tablets, or until at least the technology catches up to the programmers at TCM.

3 hours ago, fxreyman said:

Baa humbug to you too! Listen, TCM has the right to make changes to their website. TCM can and will make any changes they so desire. They probably have read many of the comments on this thread. But I am sure they made these changes due to the fact that many users of their website are now using smartphones and tablets to view their programming. And there are going to be technical challenges due to the limitations of cell phones and tablets, or until at least the technology catches up to the programmers at TCM.

You have a very flawed understanding of software programming (something I did for over 30 years):   any programmer worth a dime designs their software based on the technology said software will run on.       Thus the statement "until at least the technology catches up to the programmers at TCM",   is flawed (really complete nonsense).

It is true that software that needs to run on both PC \ Laptops and smartphones creates a lot of complications (something as a Director of a software unit I have to deal with all the time).      

Also where did anyone even imply anything about what "rights" TCM has as it relates to the design of their website?

All I see is people disappointed at changes which they view as poorly designed (and I happen to agree with them,   especially when compared to other websites I have used).

But hey this site is free,  so in that regard,  one can't really complain.        

I have never ever said I was an expert in anything even remotely associated with software programming James. I was just giving my own sense of an opinion. And even if what I said made no sense to someone with your background, I think I am entitled to write what I want to write here. 

I don't know the first thing about programming, and even if I wrote what I wrote I really do not think you should be commenting on what I wrote as being "flawed". I have read thousands of messages on the message boards and I do not think I have ever said that to anyone on here. I may disagree with a statement, but have never ever called out someone based on a lack of some knowledge except maybe looking up information for themselves instead of relying on the info provided by members who post here.

I was just trying to say that TCM has a right to do whatever they want to with "their" website and that includes the schedule pages. No one mentioned anything about "rights". However the way BenHere wrote his comments made me think based on how he feels about the changes that were made were "bad", then I just wrote that TCM has the right to do whatever they want with their website and or make changes to the schedules and or what they did with the message boards.

As has been repeated to me on several occasions, everyone is entitled to their opinion on the boards. I gave BenHere my opinion and based on what I read from his post he seemed to be complaining about what he sees as some sort of misguided attempt to change the schedule pages based on a bad idea. Now maybe to many who post on the message boards as far as the new schedule pages are concerned they are unhappy with the changes that were made. I get that. But I maintain that and maybe I should have written that they have their own right to make any changes they seem warranted to the schedule to make the schedule look more like the message boards look and feel.

If I wrote something you think is flawed, then I guess I should just accept that and move on. Again, I was writing an opinion without any idea of what I was writing about. Something hundreds of others have done without getting a "flawed understanding" response.

I may be the only one who has offered their own opinion about how the way the new schedule looks and how I like it. And many others do not like what they did and they are entitled to that opinion.

I've been giving the new format a chance before commenting on it, but after a fair length of time, I still don't like it one bit and prefer the old format.  As someone else stated, they tried to fix something that wasn't broken.  Seems to me if something is working well, don't try to change it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, RickeyH1956 said:

I've been giving the new format a chance before commenting on it, but after a fair length of time, I still don't like it one bit and prefer the old format.  As someone else stated, they tried to fix something that wasn't broken.  Seems to me if something is working well, don't try to change it.

What about it don't you like?

24 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Pretty sure that's never, ever going to happen, but thankfully MovieCollectorOH has been providing continued "secret" access to this information so far.

Is the reason TCM is no longer scheduling their content months-in-advance or just that they don't wish to publish their months-in-advance schedule?

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Good question.

I made a this point back when the thread was created.     To me it looks like MOVIES-TV looks at TCM's schedule and try to program around that.    E.g. showing a film TCM will be showing a few hours before.    Of course maybe I'm just seeing something that really isn't there,  but in the last year or so,   MOVIES-TV is showing a lot more films from what I call the Turner library of films (E.g.  Warner Bros and RKO),  and having theme based programming (like noir films),   that somewhat mimics what TCM is doing.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I made a this point back when the thread was created.     To me it looks like MOVIES-TV looks at TCM's schedule and try to program around that.    E.g. showing a film TCM will be showing a few hours before.    Of course maybe I'm just seeing something that really isn't there,  but in the last year or so,   MOVIES-TV is showing a lot more films from what I call the Turner library of films (E.g.  Warner Bros and RKO),  and having theme based programming (like noir films),   that somewhat mimics what TCM is doing.

Maybe.   But stations/networks buy things far in advance, so if they are doing this, they're simply scanning what they have available and counter-programming with it.   They wouldn't be able to get properties they don't have on short notice.  Movies!(co-owned by Weigel [Me-TV and other digital networks) and Fox Television Stations) budget won't go as far as TCM's, so they can't match it in terms of breadth/depth.  Most of Movies! catalog comes from WB and Sony, which is why you'll see overlap, especially on the WB stuff.

But they do try to brand themselves as a kind of free OTA service similar to TCM (but with commercials, and content-edited material that might otherwise run afoul of the FCC).

On 12/24/2020 at 11:06 AM, skipd55 said:

What a strange, strange year this has been! We all could use a bit of happiness. Happy Holidays to everyone, especially to my friend Dinie!

Thank you so much, Skip! 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Is the reason TCM is no longer scheduling their content months-in-advance or just that they don't wish to publish their months-in-advance schedule?

Based on the schedule found by MovieCollectorOH, TCM is presently scheduled through at least the end of February. Now there was probably a mess involving that, because there are more than the usual number of big-budget color films from the past 40 years than you might expect to find in a typical TCM month. It certainly looks to me as if these films were obtained for the purpose of airing during 31 Days of Oscar before TCM knew the Oscars were going to be pushed back. 

I doubt any of these thoughts are actually the case, if I can gain access to and understand what to do with these then anyone else can too - even someone who works at MeTV.  I think it is no more than just a different less experienced person who built/configured that part of the website.  Maybe the entire department responsible had no idea.  There are a few different things that lead me to this conclusion, one of which is the continued use of the old "API" site, which I refer to as the "old feed" in my schedules.  That is mostly redundant with the current schedule data, which I call the "new feed" in my schedules.  It seems the info in the "old feed" comes from the programming dept, and the "new feed" is from the inherited umbrella IT dept, which is just reformatted "old feed" data - minus some info like screen formatting and themes, which they likely didn't have any idea what to do with.    The "old feed" data leads and the "new feed" data lags.

In fact, I have noticed some of the same old transient mistakes we have always seen in the old schedules, show up in the "old feed", and then get propagated later to the "new feed", but then just stay there whereas the "old feed" still occasionally shows it correctly - but just not always.  I won't be advertising any specifics here what those might be, because I believe it is their job to get this thing right on their own. 

The fact is that the "new feed" is now showing Feb and has been for a while now, but the official schedule it feeds (the Daily schedule) only goes up to Jan 28 as I type this.  That goes to show that the burden only lies on the website display itself.  Not the contents of the "old feed" (presumably from the programming staff) and not the contents of the "new feed" (presumably from the inherited umbrella IT staff - which doesn't seem to have any clue on how this used to operate).  It seems the outcome, at least by default, is now to just chop off anything beyond a certain point until it is closer to air date.  That happens on the display attributes (client-side scripting) of the website itself.  In other words, this limitation on the future days of the official website schedule is happening on your own machine.  I'm not doing anything magical here, just showing the data minus the scripted limitations of their website itself, on my own page.  Kind of silly if you ask me.

Oh yeah, Merry Merry and Happy Happy (in that order).

P.S. for new readers:

Old Feed (updated only as I see major changes):
https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched.htm

New Feed (updated daily):
https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched-new.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I doubt any of these thoughts are actually the case, if I can gain access to and understand what to do with these then anyone else can too - even someone who works at MeTV.  I think it is no more than just a different less experienced person who built/configured that part of the website.  Maybe the entire department responsible had no idea.  There are a few different things that lead me to this conclusion, one of which is the continued use of the old "API" site, which I refer to as the "old feed" in my schedules.  That is mostly redundant with the current schedule data, which I call the "new feed" in my schedules.  It seems the info in the "old feed" comes from the programming dept, and the "new feed" is from the inherited umbrella IT dept, which is just reformatted "old feed" data - minus some info like screen formatting and themes, which they likely didn't have any idea what to do with.    The "old feed" data leads and the "new feed" data lags.

In fact, I have noticed some of the same old transient mistakes we have always seen in the old schedules, show up in the "old feed", and then get propagated later to the "new feed", but then just stay there whereas the "old feed" still occasionally shows it correctly - but just not always.  I won't be advertising any specifics here what those might be, because I believe it is their job to get this thing right on their own. 

The fact is that the "new feed" is now showing Feb and has been for a while now, but the official schedule it feeds (the Daily schedule) only goes up to Jan 28 as I type this.  That goes to show that the burden only lies on the website display itself.  Not the contents of the "old feed" (presumably from the programming staff) and not the contents of the "new feed" (presumably from the inherited umbrella IT staff - which doesn't seem to have any clue on how this used to operate).  It seems the outcome, at least by default, is now to just chop off anything beyond a certain point until it is closer to air date.  That happens on the display attributes (client-side scripting) of the website itself.  In other words, this limitation on the future days of the official website schedule is happening on your own machine.  I'm not doing anything magical here, just showing the data minus the scripted limitations of their website itself, on my own page.  Kind of silly if you ask me.

P.S. for new readers:

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

P.S. for new readers:

I think TCM did a great job with Christmas Movies 🎄and more importantly Christmas related movies this year.  I know they look or movies they haven’t shown or haven’t shown in a very long time.  As in COME TO THE STABLE and MR. SOFT TOUCH.  MR. SOFT TOUCH can be shown at Christmas time with Eddie Muller, maybe year.  Good job! 🎄🎄🎄