Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

Just now, TopBilled said:

Was it an automated reply?

Quickly got one saying it had been received, but then the reply from a person about two hours later.  It could be automated with a "fake" name.  Below is the reply without email headings, etc.

"Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We appreciate the feedback on our newly designed website. We try our hardest to make TCM.com the best experience it can be and we know our fans expect a lot from us. It’s helpful to hear from you about how we can improve it to hopefully exceed your expectations.

If you run into trouble using our website, or have other suggestions, please never hesitate to let us know."

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Quickly got one saying it had been received, but then the reply from a person about two hours later.  It could be automated with a "fake" name.  Below is the reply without email headings, etc.

"Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We appreciate the feedback on our newly designed website. We try our hardest to make TCM.com the best experience it can be and we know our fans expect a lot from us. It’s helpful to hear from you about how we can improve it to hopefully exceed your expectations.

If you run into trouble using our website, or have other suggestions, please never hesitate to let us know."

Well that's a nice canned reply. At least it was professional sounding.

Unless I'm missing something, it appears to me that the future schedules we have come to depend on are gone.  No more separate monthly schedules for October, November, or December.

The daily schedules do go out into the future, but as of today, for example, it ends at October 29.

This is very disappointing.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, cmovieviewer said:

Unless I'm missing something, it appears to me that the future schedules we have come to depend on are gone.  No more separate monthly schedules for October, November, or December.

The daily schedules do go out into the future, but as of today, for example, it ends at October 29.

This is very disappointing.

Another thing I noticed is that the primetime themes are no longer included on the daily schedule. And they are not mentioned on the monthly schedule either.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, skipd55 said:

Just tried to click on Athos' posting of December 2020 schedule, but it has been removed... Does the new format now preclude the posting of future monthly schedules in advance?

Yes, it seems to. We are now only able to see schedule information one month in advance.

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, it seems to. We are now only able to see schedule information one month in advance.

That totally sucks! One of the prized features of the old format was the ability to see what's coming on a month or two ahead and plan accordingly. They have to restore that, at least.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, ElCid said:

"Hi there,

In other words, DROP DEAD!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, skipd55 said:

I sometimes wonder if the powers that be at TCM really care enough about what we think to give us a heads up. Do our comments ever get past the gatekeepers? Does anybody in a position of authority ever see any viewer feedback? I'd be interested to know. One beef I have with the new schedule format is that it's no longer possible to tell at a glance whether a movie is available on DVD. Now you have to go to another page to find out. 

In a word, NO.

1 hour ago, skipd55 said:

Change seems to annoy some and thrill others... Me. I'm still on the fence. But I'd still like my previous question answered: Does anybody care what we think? Will somebody from TCM address why these changes were deemed necessary, or must we continue to speculate among ourselves?

NO.

• Sad 1

Wow, the revised Daily and Monthly Schedules are supposed to be an improvement?  TCM,you've somehow taken pages that were sublime in their ease of use, density of info presented, clarity of layout and links for reading/searching for info and printability/save-ability (I save PDF versions of each since the monthly schedule didn't include the header for the daily scheduling theme (ie. 30 Years of ADA) and changed them such that not one of those attributes remain. I know the world is driven by the incessant need for change, but in what world does a company change so much that works by replacing it with so little that does?? Horrible job. The design looks like something a new designer without experience would put together, too spread out, silly fonts, etc. I could go on and on. In my company, whomever approved this re-design would be looking for a new job.

Sadly, even worse is the redesign of the TCMDB pages.  Those, while not perfect before, have now become nearly unreadable.  Again, horrible layouts with so much wasted space, poor info density, etc. Only an idiot would find the new layouts more "user friendly".  Someone somewhere at TCM decided they needed to make a mark for themselves and started/approved these changes. I'd love to see the justification/brief given because I'm pretty certain, these changes don't fulfill those requested by users of the TCM website/app.

Rarely would I be so openly hostile and negative, but TCM Management, you've really mucked it up badly this time, very very badly.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit I am glad (relieved) the Leonard Maltin blurbs are gone. I hope they don't find their way back.

Some of them, many of them, were too negative. And probably prevented people from watching certain movies on TCM. I wouldn't be surprised if Maltin's comments that were posted on the database pages had caused people to change the channel and watch something else, without giving a movie a fair shot.

However, I do think the individual user reviews should remain intact. Some folks put a lot of care and thought into their comments about specific movies and movie experiences. I just read a lovely one yesterday about a woman who said a 1950 movie was partly shot inside her parents' home and she described her family taking pictures with the stars. That's the kind of stuff I enjoy reading, a positive blurb about how a classic movie affects someone.

• Like 2

I'm so glad I copied the December 2020 schedule a few days ago, as that would be impossible today. Now any changes to the future schedule (November, December) will be unknown to the users of this site until practically the date of airing. What next, I wonder?

11 minutes ago, skipd55 said:

I'm so glad I copied the December 2020 schedule a few days ago, as that would be impossible today. Now any changes to the future schedule (November, December) will be unknown to the users of this site until practically the date of airing. What next, I wonder?

Well you will be able to see changes/modifications to the schedule a month in advance.

But what will you do when you want to see what is on the January 2021 schedule? You will have to wait until December 1st to get January 1st and then start to piece it all together day by day. The full January schedule won't be available until December 31st.

And you will only be able to know what some of the primetime themes are when looking at the month's highlights. Not every primetime theme is mentioned in the "TCM in (whatever month)" section.

Not one to roll over on changes that don't improve my experience, but also interested to know if they do improve the experience of the majority of other users, I created a "VOTING" post so that we can tally our overall LIKE/DISLIKE for the new Schedules/TCMDB format changes. The link is below:

• Thanks 1

Here's my 2 cents. I emailed TCM a few hours back and got a quick response. Not definitive, but a nice, polite reply. I then responded back and am waiting to hear any further replies from TCM. I told them, in a word, their new website format, sucks. Its definitely geared for cell phones and tablets. My big concern is the daily and monthly schedules. The prior setup was great. The new setup is awful. 

The daily and monthly schedules are not user friendly in the current format. Half the screen is cut off and shows frozen images with icons, banners and a search bar. It leaves you with about 2 inches wide of usable space that projects the daily and monthly schedules and is not easy or fun to navigate. TCM needs to lift the veil and give users of laptops and desktops a full screen view.

TCM's new website looks like almost every other website out there. So, to me that is not really NEW. Yes, its a website for the 21st century, but doesn't offer the feel of the era of the Golden Age of Hollywood movie making. 

TCM never asked its viewers about input on this new website. Frankly, it looks like they wanted to save some cash and gave it a streamline version that is no longer fun to visit. Hopefully with enough complaints, they'll change it back, or at the very least make it easier to navigate and view.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've sent in my opinion via "contact us" as well, and rather expect a canned reply; I probably can't expect anything more in reply to an opinion which uses "abysmal, atrocious, and just plain awful" in the opening sentence.

{Although I did cut them some slack in that I stopped at "A" instead of going through the entire alphabet for suitable adjectives from each letter.]

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Whatever the reason TCM  changed the schedule format , it is less user friendly.

The old schedule had an "expand all" button to get the synopsis of all films or presentations for the day but no more?

The old schedule listed the genre, nicely color coded, directly on the schedule. Now I have to click  on the film, then click "more info", then click "film details" to find genre.  If I want to watch "Crime" films on any given day (old schedule color code brown), I now have to go through these 3 steps for each movie? I do not see the new format /more detailed schedule  "TopBilled" posted  which shows genre, etc. Where do I find this? My Daily schedule shows time, film title, and film year only.

No more reviews? It was a great feature. Or is it hidden in some menu somewhere?

Seems like more information available for each film but you have to click through too many links.

More info is great, less user friendly is bad.  The new schedule might be "sophisticated" but it is not elegant. Did they not form or utilize a user/focus group to drive  the new design or improvements?  I think that is how Pontiac ended up with the Aztek; it functioned but no-one wanted to look at it.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, likesnoir said:

The old schedule listed the genre, nicely color coded, directly on the schedule. Now I have to click  on the film, then click "more info", then click "film details" to find genre.  If I want to watch "Crime" films on any given day (old schedule color code brown), I now have to go through these 3 steps for each movie?

Yeah, I'm not excited about having to click on all these extra links. Then, as I said, if you want to go back to the previous page it seems very slow in reloading. Sometimes it's quicker for me to exit out of whatever area I've clicked into, and just start over.

Wonder if this fixes the problem with the intermittent blank time slots.   $5 says "no".

It looks as if they just changed it over to some generic "one size fits all" web package.  All default settings.

It looks as if they tried to appeal to the "why can't I get the Now Playing guide" crowd.  Lots of pretty pictures (sorry, not really my thing at the expense of future months gone).  Maybe it is still in a state of flux. 

I'd like to see them at least restore the "hidden future months" pages, or point out how we can access them, before they completely abandon it again for another 10-15 years.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, jvirt53 said:

Here's my 2 cents. I emailed TCM a few hours back and got a quick response. Not definitive, but a nice, polite reply. I then responded back and am waiting to hear any further replies from TCM. I told them, in a word, their new website format, sucks. Its definitely geared for cell phones and tablets. My big concern is the daily and monthly schedules. The prior setup was great. The new setup is awful. 

The daily and monthly schedules are not user friendly in the current format. Half the screen is cut off and shows frozen images with icons, banners and a search bar. It leaves you with about 2 inches wide of usable space that projects the daily and monthly schedules and is not easy or fun to navigate. TCM needs to lift the veil and give users of laptops and desktops a full screen view.

TCM's new website looks like almost every other website out there. So, to me that is not really NEW. Yes, its a website for the 21st century, but doesn't offer the feel of the era of the Golden Age of Hollywood movie making. 

TCM never asked its viewers about input on this new website. Frankly, it looks like they wanted to save some cash and gave it a streamline version that is no longer fun to visit. Hopefully with enough complaints, they'll change it back, or at the very least make it easier to navigate and view.

I wouldn't count on that. They've never done it before.

• Like 1