Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

On 2/8/2021 at 12:26 PM, TopBilled said:

If you'll notice I deliberately said "old" "standard" desktop computer in the post that you quoted. Again, not everyone can afford technology with all the bells and whistles.

As I said this is another topic for another thread probably.

Just pointing out that cell phones have not actually 'replaced' anything.  Those people are just doing different things these days.

Probably off your intended point.

Just now, MovieCollectorOH said:

Just pointing out that cell phones have not actually 'replaced' anything.  Those people are just doing different things these days.

Okay, noted.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I think the channel often tailors products and services for folks in a certain income bracket.

They don't always consider the different ways people use TCM, or in this case use the website. For instance, not everyone has an expensive new phone that they use more than an old standard desktop computer.

But that's getting into another topic.

I think you are onto to something here Top. In many ways, and it is just my humble opinion that many of TCM's viewers may be older and quite possibly living on social security income. Now maybe not a majority but clearly many older people I know do not use cell phones or have expensive computers at home. Many including people like Spence for instance has to go to their local library to access the web. I am sure that many of TCM's viewers do have access to the internet on their home computers where they chat or exchange photos and videos on Facebook, email friends and family members and check for news, although I am sure many people still watch the three networks for original programming because cable is just too expensive for them. They may be here but not everyone can afford the cable tiers that include TCM. I know I can not. But I have a feeling that you might be right about demographics and the cost relative to people's income levels.

Edited by fxreyman
5 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

I think you are onto to something here Top. In many ways, and it is just my humble opinion that many of TCM's viewers may be older and quite possibly living on social security income. Now maybe not a majority but clearly many older people I know do not use cell phones or have expensive computers at home. Many including people like Spence for instance has to go to their local library to access the web. I am sure that many of TCM's viewers do have access to the internet on their home computers where they chat or exchange photos and videos on Facebook, or even here on the boards. But I have a feeling that you might be right about demographics and the cost relative to people's income levels.

Thanks. Even if only a small percentage are on limited incomes, it's still ignorant for TCM's marketing department to assume every single customer can afford every single product or service they have their hosts hawk on the airwaves. Hold on, I am not saying they are ignorant, but it's clear that over the years they've been chasing an upper middle class demographic.

Yet no way on earth is every single person who watches TCM in the same upscale income bracket. So TCM could be a bit more cognizant of that fact, and when for instance they do make a change to the website or something everyone does use, they take the true diversity of their customer base into consideration. Otherwise they're just being snobby. 

My opinion.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. Even if only a small percentage are on limited incomes, it's still ignorant for TCM's marketing department to assume that every single customer can afford every single product or service they have hosts hawk on the airwaves. And I am not saying they are ignorant, but it's clear that over the years they've been chasing an upper middle class demographic.

But no way on earth is every single person that watches TCM in that income bracket. So they could be a bit more cognizant of that fact, and when for instance they do make a change to the website or something that everyone does use, they take the true diversity of their customer base into consideration. Otherwise they're just being snobby.

Agreed. Even though I still like the way the website schedule looks now. And I do know that I am in the minority on this one.

Just now, fxreyman said:

Agreed. Even though I still like the way the website schedule looks now. And I do know that I am in the minority on this one.

That's right, you did not have a beef about the revised web page design. Not like so many others did who have voiced their frustrations on the thread.

I don't really mind the newer layout of the "TCM Schedule", but one thing I've noticed (this week, anyway) is that the information takes soooooooooooooo lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng to load.  I like to check the daily schedule early in the morning during my 'quiet time' before I start working out, but this week has been disastrous.  I swear, I could do 3 loads of laundry, cook an entire Thanksgiving dinner, and knit a couple of sweaters (if I knew how to knit) and the daily schedule information STILL DOESN'T LOAD!  There isn't a problem with seeing the schedule if I consult it later in the day.  It's just in the hours around sunrise where it won't kick out any information.  This is the only segment of the TCM website where this happens to me.  Anyone else experience this, or is my computer just haunted?

Signed, Puzzled

53 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I don't really mind the newer layout of the "TCM Schedule", but one thing I've noticed (this week, anyway) is that the information takes soooooooooooooo lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng to load.  I like to check the daily schedule early in the morning during my 'quiet time' before I start working out, but this week has been disastrous.  I swear, I could do 3 loads of laundry, cook an entire Thanksgiving dinner, and knit a couple of sweaters (if I knew how to knit) and the daily schedule information STILL DOESN'T LOAD!  There isn't a problem with seeing the schedule if I consult it later in the day.  It's just in the hours around sunrise where it won't kick out any information.  This is the only segment of the TCM website where this happens to me.  Anyone else experience this, or is my computer just haunted?

Signed, Puzzled

Yes, something's changed.  I use Chrome on a Windows 10 PC.

It never loads for me on the first attempt.   I always have to reload/refresh the page in order for the schedule to display.  It comes up almost immediately after the refresh.

It started behaving this way about a week ago for me.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, midwestan said:

Signed, Puzzled

2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Yes, something's changed.  I use Chrome on a Windows 10 PC.

It never loads for me on the first attempt.   I always have to reload/refresh the page in order for the schedule to display.  It comes up almost immediately after the refresh.

It started behaving this way about a week ago for me.

Just above some of the chatter here, I noticed back on Sunday that the schedule page actually loads in a different way now, for the better.  I can assure you that this change has been made, as it affected my own "new feed" schedule until I fixed it by redirecting to a newer address.  In doing so, I noticed there are now separate data feeds for EST, CST, and so forth.  This change looks like it happened last Saturday.

This is actually a good change, no matter how you might look at their updated website.  Think of it as being a bit more complete.  It now sends each time zone a different data feed of the schedule, versus attempting to calculate it in the user browser based on the Eastern time zone. 

The improvements may have had unintended consequences - temporarily I hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Just above some of the chatter here, I noticed back on Sunday that the schedule page actually loads in a different way now, for the better.  I can assure you that this change has been made, as it affected my own "new feed" schedule until I fixed it by redirecting to a newer address.  In doing so, I noticed there are now separate data feeds for EST, CST, and so forth.  This change looks like it happened last Saturday.

Thank you for pointing this out.  It looks like along with this change, the schedule will "remember" the time zone you last selected when you go back to the schedule later.  (Something we used to have with the previous schedule that has been lost since the new schedule system was implemented.)

Small steps.

On 2/11/2021 at 3:52 PM, cmovieviewer said:

Thank you for pointing this out.  It looks like along with this change, the schedule will "remember" the time zone you last selected when you go back to the schedule later.  (Something we used to have with the previous schedule that has been lost since the new schedule system was implemented.)

Small steps.

I recall you were in an area where the schedule didn't line up.  Post back with feedback, but only if you feel like it.  You have been a big help around here already.

P.S. Now I see someone posted an issue in the technical complaint forums just this past Wednesday that the times on the schedules are still not correct for her.  So while a new mechanism may have been put in place just a week ago (this much is for certain), maybe it is not fully implemented or tuned in yet.

16 hours ago, midwestan said:

Signed, Puzzled

My schedule has never loaded in the past week or so. I'm glad to hear that the time zone problem has been fixed, at least for some.

• 1 month later...

To me, the big feature that was removed and as far as I can tell has still not been restored, is being able to go to a specific movie page and seeing  "upcoming airings" at the top. I had many movies bookmarked hoping they would air in the future, and this is the only way to easily find that information. I continue to hope they restore this important feature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1