Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:
4 hours ago, LatriceRoyale said:

They've made it much more sophisticated. Not sure why they felt a need to do that.

It looks optimized for touch-screen devices.  :(

• Sad 1

Trying to copy the monthly schedule and paste it into a word processor doesn't seem to be working, either.  It's brought LibreOffice to a screeching halt and won't paste anything.  And those thumbnails serve no purpose if you want to save stuff.  (And I couldn't get October's schedule.)

At least pasting it into a text editor works.

No, I don't want to print it out, at least not formatted the way they have it on the web page.  Four or five movies per page?  Ridiculous.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Fedya said:

Trying to copy the monthly schedule and paste it into a word processor doesn't seem to be working, either.  It's brought LibreOffice to a screeching halt and won't paste anything.  And those thumbnails serve no purpose if you want to save stuff.  (And I couldn't get October's schedule.)

At least pasting it into a text editor works.

No, I don't want to print it out, at least not formatted the way they have it on the web page.  Four or five movies per page?  Ridiculous.

I am investigating these options as we speak.  Click on button on monthly page to print/save as PDF, then open that in a PDF viewer and copy and paste to a plain text editor is one way to go here.  It doesn't try to interpret the other binary junk associated with the PDF file.  Just the plain text.

As far as Libreoffice goes, Libreoffice Draw is the program that can open PDF files for editing.  I just tried, and it worked for me.  It takes a while to open them though, and not really much point in opening it there...

• Like 1

Not going to comment much on the change in format except to say that I think it looks fine.  I don't have a great preference one way or the other for either this one or the old one.

HOWEVER, be sure to double check the times listed for your time zone.  I am in Central time zone, but I noticed that all of the times listed were an hour behind.  Setting it to Mountain time zone, I can now see the correct schedule for Central time.

• Thanks 1

I found that searching by film title displays results from the November and December schedules. Hopefully this means that there is a way to find the full month schedules.

image.thumb.png.fc7d7fb9c2ff85939725f4d058791e18.png

• Confused 1
7 minutes ago, Athos said:

I found that searching by film title displays results from the November and December schedules. Hopefully this means that there is a way to find the full month schedules.

image.thumb.png.fc7d7fb9c2ff85939725f4d058791e18.png

This is a new feature that lets you know when a film is coming up. But in this case, you are only getting fragments of future schedules.  

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

This is a new feature that lets you know when a film is coming up. But in this case, you are only getting fragments of future schedules.  

Right, but it does list showings beyond October 29th, the farthest we can look ahead in the Daily Schedules tab. So the content for November and December is still there on the new website, just not viewable to us. 

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Athos said:

Right, but it does list showings beyond October 29th, the farthest we can look ahead in the Daily Schedules tab. So the content for November and December is still there on the new website, just not viewable to us. 

Exactly. This new feature will let you see that NORTH BY NORTHWEST has ten scheduled airings and HOT SPELL has no airings coming up.

• Haha 1

x

4 minutes ago, Athos said:

Well I am heading out for the night.  Keep posting on this.  Make a bunch of new threads, keep the moderator busy.  Post on Facebook/Twitter, put them into damage control mode.  Anything to get through to them about this.

• Like 3

It may take some time to getting used to the format and perhaps they'll make some tweaks too, so I'll wait and see before praising or condemning it completely.

What I am wondering about is will there still be printable schedules and alphabetical monthly listings of the films that air each month? I always print them out on the 1st of the new month and go through them and take note of which ones I'm interested in seeing.

Please please let that remain!

3 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

x

Well I am heading out for the night.  Keep posting on this.  Make a bunch of new threads, keep the moderator busy.  Post on Facebook/Twitter, put them into damage control mode.  Anything to get through to them about this.

Great idea.  Companies tend to respond more to comments/complaints made on FB and Twitter than to complaints on their own site which they tend to ignore and/ or send  BS "Thank you for your comment" auto-responses.  We should all go to TCM social media early and often starting now.  The new format is annoying (and requires multiple clicks to get to the info you want) but my biggest complaint is the inability to access future schedules.  Over the years TCM has often tried to restrict access to future schedules for a variety of reasons and the folks on these message boards have managed to always find a way to make access to future months' schedules possible.  Let's stay on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Exactly. This new feature will let you see that NORTH BY NORTHWEST has ten scheduled airings and HOT SPELL has no airings coming up.

But this is not a new feature. In the old format, if you clicked a particular title, it would show future air dates for that film (in small print).

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, skipd55 said:

But this is not a new feature. In the old format, if you clicked a particular title, it would show future air dates for that film (in small print).

The old feature you are referring to, was that you were directed to the TCM database page for the title where you could see if/when it was coming up again on the schedule.

This new feature allows you to do a quick search by film title without leaving the schedule and without having to go to the database page.

6 hours ago, ElCid said:

My post from thread I had created. 

Went to the TCM Full Schedule ( https://www.tcm.com/schedule/)  on the TCM website looking for what is below, but they have replaced it with a new format.  Very little in descriptions, no reviews and jumbled together with other useless format changes.  Also, if you click on a title, you get a large picture related to the movie/feature.  Tried to copy the new screen but couldn't.  

For those who may not know, on the old format, if you clicked on the title or something, it would open it up with more information.  You could then close it back to make perusing the screen easier.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 12.02.37 PM

My thoughts on the change:
1) This format provided all the information I needed: time, genre, title, and year. The new format is too cluttered for my purpose.
2) I miss the Weekly Schedule option--very useful when TCM has programmed some rarity for 4am, and I need to know the ending time for set the DVR.
3) I don't see shorts in the current format--TCM already tended to disappoint when including shorts on the schedule; have they given up altogether?

As for the Leonard Maltin capsule reviews, TCM licenses them from the rightsholder. Did the license expire?

• Thanks 2
10 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

My thoughts on the change:
1) This format provided all the information I needed: time, genre, title, and year. The new format is too cluttered for my purpose.
2) I miss the Weekly Schedule option--very useful when TCM has programmed some rarity for 4am, and I need to know the ending time for set the DVR.
3) I don't see shorts in the current format--TCM already tended to disappoint when including shorts on the schedule; have they given up altogether?

As for the Leonard Maltin capsule reviews, TCM licenses them from the rightsholder. Did the license expire?

I would imagine the Maltin "capsule reviews" were not not cheap.

But maybe it's not a budget saving measure. Perhaps they are wanting to get away from opinions and just keep the database focused on facts about the movies.

Maltin's blurbs only went up to 1960. This said, they could come back later along with the user reviews. We'll have to see what happens.

3 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Click on button on monthly page to print/save as PDF, then open that in a PDF viewer and copy and paste to a plain text editor is one way to go here.

I don't get the option to save as PDF.  (Firefox on Linux Mint)

In the Message Board Announcements area, TCMModerator1 wrote:

TCM.com has been redesigned with a new Mobile Responsive experience, enhanced Search and Discovery capabilities. 

For any questions or feedback, please feel free to provide it in the forums or go to tcm.com/help

We hope you enjoy it!

• Sad 1

Another Daily Schedule loss with the new format (and never previously available on Weekly or Monthly Schedules) is the indicator/link to the movies that are available via WatchTCM.  It seems that the folks that run TCM haven't figured out that cord-cutters (and users of Netflix, A-Prime, Hulu, etc.) are increasingly looking for flexible viewing options that do not require setting up a DVR to catch a show one can't catch during broadcast. Often, TCM is showing the movies I want to catch in late night/early morning time-slots, while weekends are constant repeats of popular movies I've seen countless times.  I previously gave feedback to TCM that they should indicate which upcoming films will be available on WatchTCM streaming via the Weekly and (preferably) Monthly Schedules so that subscribers can more flexibly decide which live broadcasts to catch and which can be viewed on our own schedules via WatchTCM.

As a second point, by posting which movies are to be available, it keeps TCM's WatchTCM staff on their toes; I have previously had to request they make several titles available that were promoted as being on WatchTCM at the end of movie's broadcast but failed to show up on the WatchTCM page.  I certainly understand the streaming licensing issue for many of the film shown, buy shouldn't TCM be trying to better leverage both their owned content and licensed broadcast content to increase viewership?

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Fedya said:

I don't get the option to save as PDF.  (Firefox on Linux Mint)

I have the same, and just to make sure, I just checked both the Linux Mint 19.3 and 20 USB live sessions.  I'm pretty sure this is just default Firefox:

In Firefox, when I click Print, I get the option to "Print to file".  Then the default Linux file location for that is "~/mozilla.pdf" (~ being the base home folder on the hard drive for the current user - same as "/home/{username}".

• Thanks 1

I'm trying to bite my tongue, but requirement #1 of a TCM web-based schedule is to list the films that are being shown at their correct start times.

The fact that the times are not correct for the major U.S. time zones on switchover shows a tremendous lack of care and/or oversight on the part of the people making the change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1