Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

3 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

I'm trying to bite my tongue, but requirement #1 of a TCM web-based schedule is to list the films that are being shown at their correct start times.

The fact that the times are not correct for the major U.S. time zones on switchover shows a tremendous lack of care and/or oversight on the part of the people making the change.

Don't bleed out too hard.

I think I've found the culprit here:  😁

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/excited_children.jpg

• Haha 1

So far I find it terribly unwieldy.

Doesn't look like they have any shorts listed.

I liked it when it was more at a glance style for the day. Please adjust the size since only one movie listing can be seen at a time.

Who was clamoring for an update?

Who at TCM thought this format was a good idea and for what purpose?

• Like 6
2 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

> Who was clamoring for an update?

> Who at TCM thought this format was a good idea and for what purpose?

Likely web techies at TCM trying to justify their existence... this change is disastrous and done without any consulting, much less beta testing on the user community! 

Anyone know the email of Ben Mankiewicz to let him know the disaster this Web site change has brought? Maybe he would listen and pass the word to management.

—dwd

P.S. I did email Support, and though they acknowledge it and later on assert how responsive they are... in the end, tech support seems to do not much!i

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cinesi said:

Likely web techies at TCM trying to justify their existence... this change is disastrous and done without any consulting, much less beta testing on the user community! 

Besides, If the aim was to better care for portable devices such as Phones, then a better way is to develop a suitable App for those devices... instead of foisting an overly  simplistic universal web-app design on *all* devices. Take the case of WatchTCM, it exists as different apps on multiple devices, from AppleTVs to iPhones... and of course a Web site for desktop computers, all co-existing peacefully!

The crippling of the schedule in the new Website is nearly fatal to those of us planning our lives around TCM movies! Why, why, why... can’t get the darn thing to display correct times for my geographic area, for example! 😡😡😡

—dwd

• Like 6
8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Seems to be the situation, yes.

They seem also to have deleted altogether the "database," which they hadn't updated in years, request a movie, and any way to contribute. Or maybe I just can't find these.....

8 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

So far I find it terribly unwieldy.

Doesn't look like they have any shorts listed.

I liked it when it was more at a glance style for the day. Please adjust the size since only one movie listing can be seen at a time.

Who was clamoring for an update?

Who at TCM thought this format was a good idea and for what purpose?

It's a simplistic disaster with no style (or functionality.) And, takes forever to load a page! Without a doubt, someone without a thought, took a standard WordPress template and plugged in some (but clearly not all) info and added tons and tons of images. (Words are dead, don't you know?)  The website was the last remnant of the great design style which used to be a hallmark of "all things TCM" from its earlier days.  Remember the great opens to films?  Remember all the care given to the SUTS graphics and info?  Remember when the SOTM had his/her own promo?  I'm all for making changes to keep a website fresh and interesting but this "re-do" siphons all the personality out of a website that should be representing a classic movie channel.  

• Like 8
1 hour ago, UMO1982 said:

They seem also to have deleted altogether the "database," which they hadn't updated in years, request a movie, and any way to contribute. Or maybe I just can't find these.....

The database is still there. You have to click on "More Info" (with the green arrow) below the director's name. That will take you to the database page for the title.

If you want to go to a database page that lists the filmography for the director or the performers, you have to first visit the movie's page, then you can click on links for the director and the actors. You cannot get to the director's page or actors' pages directly from the schedule. At least for now.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 6.17.21 AM

I hate how it looks and I hate, HATE, *HATE* that you cannot see even just the next month's worth.  My husband and I put out a weekly zine and we've been running a column on our picks for TCM for the next month, said column running on the last Friday of each month.  It looks like nothing in the last week or so will ever make this lilst. 😞 😞 😞

• Like 5
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The database is still there. You have to click on "More Info" (with the green arrow) below the director's name. That will take you to the database page for the title.

If you want to go to a database page that lists the filmography for the director or the performers, you have to first visit the movie's page, then you can click on links for the director and the actors. You cannot get to the director's page or actors' pages directly from the schedule. At least for now.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 6.17.21 AM

There use to be what they called a "database" that listed the most searched films and names etc. request a film,  number of films by decade held by TCM etc.....As I said they had not updated it in years but it was still there.  And I still don't find any way to contribute or attempt to correct anything.

33 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

There use to be what they called a "database" that listed the most searched films and names etc. request a film,  number of films by decade held by TCM etc.....As I said they had not updated it in years but it was still there.  And I still don't find any way to contribute or attempt to correct anything.

Okay, yeah, I see what you meant. The most-searched films feature was not working for awhile, if I recall correctly. They have probably just done away with some of those features with the latest upgrade.

After a day of being knocked for a loop by this format change, I've thought it over a bit, and I guess this is something we've got to get used to. BUT--there are a few things I can't overlook. One is the elimination of access to future monthly schedules. This MUST be restored. It's possible to redesign the website without sacrificing too much content. (AFI revamped its website several years ago without eliminating any of the features and content that users customarily relied upon. ) After fiddling around with the new format, it appears that all (or most) of the data that I usually search for is still there, but hard to access. For example, the December 2020 schedule, once posted in its entirety, has vanished--but the films scheduled for December can be accessed individually (if you know what they are) and appear on the website with date and time listings for December. So the information is there. They need to make it accessible to users as it was last week, with complete daily listings for December (and November also, for that matter).  Secondly,  what's with all the photos? The home page is filled with photos--it looks like a page from Pinterest-- not necessary! Give us information relating to classic movies, not photos.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, skipd55 said:

After a day of being knocked for a loop by this format change, I've thought it over a bit, and I guess this is something we've got to get used to. BUT--there are a few things I can't overlook. One is the elimination of access to future monthly schedules. This MUST be restored. It's possible to redesign the website without sacrificing too much content. (AFI revamped its website several years ago without eliminating any of the features and content that users customarily relied upon. ) After fiddling around with the new format, it appears that all (or most) of the data that I usually search for is still there, but hard to access. For example, the December 2020 schedule, once posted in its entirety, has vanished--but the films scheduled for December can be accessed individually (if you know what they are) and appear on the website with date and time listings for December. So the information is there. They need to make it accessible to users as it was last week, with complete daily listings for December (and November also, for that matter).  Secondly,  what's with all the photos? The home page is filled with photos--it looks like a page from Pinterest-- not necessary! Give us information relating to classic movies, not photos.

I don't see all the photos going away. I think they feel it "freshens" things up. Extra photos are not the end of the world.

As for the November & December films, yes people do know what is coming up because of the information that was previously made available. But for January, that won't be the case. Unless we know that certain birthdays will probably be celebrated and we know there will probably be a bunch of Sidney Poitier films aired on MLK Day. But how will anyone know what the spotlight or Star of the Month will be? It won't be until the first week of January is available on the website during the first week of December, that anyone will have a better idea of what might be included in January.

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I don't see all the photos going away. I think they feel it "freshens" things up. Extra photos are not the end of the world.

As for the November & December films, yes people do know what is coming up because of the information that was previously made available. But for January, that won't be the case. Unless we know that certain birthdays will probably be celebrated and we know there will probably be a bunch of Sidney Poitier films aired on MLK Day. But how will anyone know what the spotlight or Star of the Month will be? It won't be until the first week of January is available on the website during the first week of December, that anyone will have a better idea of what might be included in January.

As usual, Top, you are a fountain of knowledge and wisdom and I defer to your judgment on the photos. They probably won't go away. But as for monthly schedules, what if you happened to miss the December schedule for those few days it was available?  How difficult can it be to restore those schedules under the new format? Like I pointed out in my previous post, the info is still there. It just needs to be re-packaged to conform to the new parameters. If they wanted to, they could do it.

2 minutes ago, skipd55 said:

As usual, Top, you are a fountain of knowledge and wisdom and I defer to your judgment on the photos. They probably won't go away. But as for monthly schedules, what if you happened to miss the December schedule for those few days it was available?  How difficult can it be to restore those schedules under the new format? Like I pointed out in my previous post, the info is still there. It just needs to be re-packaged to conform to the new parameters. If they wanted to, they could do it.

I don't think they want to make the schedule info available so far in advance. At least not any longer. It seems to be standard "industry" practice that most movie channel schedules are only available online a month at a time. Some sites only show two weeks at a time. TCM was the exception to the rule, by allowing people to see what was coming up two to three months in advance. But they are not obligated to do that.  I think a month of schedule information is generous. Of course, we would like to see more info if possible. 

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I don't think they want to make the schedule info available so far in advance. At least not any longer. It seems to be standard "industry" practice that most movie channel schedules are only available online a month at a time. Some sites only show two weeks at a time. TCM was the exception to the rule, by allowing people to see what was coming up two to three months in advance. But they are not obligated to do that.  I think a month of schedule information is generous. Of course, we would like to see more info if possible. 

Yes, TCM WAS the exception, that's true. I began copying TCM schedules from the website back in 2006, and have always looked forward to having two months advance notice of what was coming on. Standard industry practice can't be allowed to infringe on what we've grown  accustomed to with TCM.  After all these years, TCM should continue to be exceptional, not follow the herd.

• Like 1

I'm a computer software developer.  Until yesterday, I had a computer program that would access TCM's programming schedule via its API and then send me a notification of any films I might be interested in.  This morning I noticed it failing.   Upon investigation I see the web site is also way different than the last time I looked.  I guess the new look included getting rid of their API.  : (

Does anyone else use the API or have any information as to whether it might come back?

Thanks!

Curt

This seems aligned with IMDb's recent design change that now advertises movies in theaters, streaming, etc. The very design works against its being a database. It's now a PLATFORM and a bunch a stuff got dumped so they can hawk NOW PLAYING.

The SHOP also seems beefed up (but still very limited).

And the search function is now GLACIAL

6 minutes ago, skipd55 said:

Yes, TCM WAS the exception, that's true. I began copying TCM schedules from the website back in 2006, and have always looked forward to having two months advance notice of what was coming on. Standard industry practice can't be allowed to infringe on what we've grown  accustomed to with TCM.  After all these years, TCM should continue to be exceptional, not follow the herd.

There is a lot more completion for TCM now;  multiple stations that feature American studio-era movies.      E.g. Last week after I saw that MOVIES-TV was spotlighting "iconic actor Dan Duryea",  I made a joke that MOVIES-TV programmers must visit this forum (since there is a lot of love for Duryea at this forum and I doubt few others).   

My point here is that stations like MOVIES-TV are looking at TCM schedules and adjusting their own based on this: e.g.  leasing films associated with actors,  directors etc... that are favorites of American studio-era movie fans.      I.e. they are using TCM's  schedule like one uses a focus group.      I'm sure MOVIES-TV is doing this;   E.g. they will feature an actor or certain films a week or so before TCM does.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

This seems aligned with IMDb's recent design change that now advertises movies in theaters, streaming, etc. The very design works against its being a database. It's now a PLATFORM and a bunch a stuff got dumped so they can hawk NOW PLAYING.

The SHOP also seems beefed up (but still very limited).

And the search function is now GLACIAL

As for IMDB, the basic layout of their site hasn't changed much at all over the years.  They have just been stacking more and more advertising and incentives onto it without really redefining anything else, which is good for guys like me.

In contrast, the main issue with the schedules was the glitchy software.  Now that they have replaced it, it seems they could go down one of two paths.  Either it hasn't been completed yet, or else this is the end product.  Since nobody from there is allowed to establish dialog on this message board, we are only left to guess.

Keep posting complaints here, and on Facebook/Twitter/Zillow/etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

There is a lot more completion for TCM now;  multiple stations that feature American studio-era movies.      E.g. Last week after I saw that MOVIES-TV was spotlighting "iconic actor Dan Duryea",  I made a joke that MOVIES-TV programmers must visit this forum (since there is a lot of love for Duryea at this forum and I doubt few others).   

My point here is that stations like MOVIES-TV are looking at TCM schedules and adjusting their own based on this: e.g.  leasing films associated with actors,  directors etc... that are favorites of American studio-era movie fans.      I.e. they are using TCM's  schedule like one uses a focus group.      I'm sure MOVIES-TV is doing this;   E.g. they will feature an actor or certain films a week or so before TCM does.

That's some funny stuff right there.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

I'm a computer software developer.  Until yesterday, I had a computer program that would access TCM's programming schedule via its API and then send me a notification of any films I might be interested in.  This morning I noticed it failing.   Upon investigation I see the web site is also way different than the last time I looked.  I guess the new look included getting rid of their API.  : (

Does anyone else use the API or have any information as to whether it might come back?

Thanks!

Curt

Not on this side of their iron curtain.  Good luck with that "API",  I didn't even know there was such a thing - unless you are just talking about the same thing the rest of us are - the ability to view "future months" that is no longer there. 

Like this:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?sdate=2020-12-01

Or this:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-09-01
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-09-08
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-09-15
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-09-22
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=PST&sdate=2020-09-29

16 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

That's some funny stuff right there.

Really?  What's so funny about it.     I sincerely respect your POV so what is so "odd' about what I'm laying down.

Granted maybe MOVIE-TV programmers don't visit this forum.   Maybe they just hired folks that are into noir and iconic noir actors.   Maybe that took that Ball State course (ha ha).     But my overall point is valid (I believe);   MOVIES-TV programming has been overlapping a lot in the last year or so.    I don't think that is just a coincidence. 

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Really?  What's so funny about it.     I sincerely respect your POV so I what is so "odd' about what I'm laying down.

Granted maybe MOVIE-TV programmers don't visit this forum.   Maybe they just hired folks that are into noir and iconic noir actors.   Maybe that took that Ball State course (ha ha).     But my overall point is valid (I believe);   MOVIES-TV programming has been overlapping a lot in the last year or so.    I don't think that is just a coincidence. 

No, I'm just taking what you said at face value.  You are probably right.

18 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

We should keep in mind that the Encore/Starz channels have been using this "strategy" for years. All the way back to 2012, Encore Westerns was doing its own monthly spotlights on actors strongly associated with the western genre. 

And of course TCM borrowed the Star of the Month idea from the old AMC which originated the concept in the mid-1980s.

They all borrow from each other.