Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

21 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

As for IMDB, the basic layout of their site hasn't changed much at all over the years.  They have just been stacking more and more advertising and incentives onto it without really redefining anything else, which is good for guys like me.

In contrast, the main issue with the schedules was the glitchy software.  Now that they have replaced it, it seems they could go down one of two paths.  Either it hasn't been completed yet, or else this is the end product.  Since nobody from there is allowed to establish dialog on this message board, we are only left to guess.

Keep posting complaints here, and on Facebook/Twitter/Zillow/etc

The IMDb home web is 100% difference than it was before the recent change....  It happened soon after they went thru another iteration of their WEIGHTED rating system that dumped the ratings of most silent films.

Stating facts is not necessarily complaining.... it's stating facts

1 minute ago, UMO1982 said:

The IMDb home web is 100% difference than it was before the recent change....  It happened soon after they went thru another iteration of their WEIGHTED rating system that dumped the ratings of most silent films.

Stating facts is not necessarily complaining.... it's stating facts

I'm just talking about the structure of the site itself.  My personal IMDB scraping program that I put together back around 2012 or so still works perfectly, with very few actual changes on my end, which would reflect changes on their end.

3 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I'm just talking about the structure of the site itself.  My personal IMDB scraping program that I put together back around 2012 or so still works perfectly, with very few actual changes on my end, which would reflect changes on their end.

Gotcha..... Yes the functions are the same and it's still the best movie resource site around.....

TCM ,

Agree with most of the comments.

Hopefully they will help initiate changes, soon!

I enjoy watching the Shorts and Documentary sections as well as the great movies. I can't find them anymore.  Xfinity stopped showing them in their guide years ago, so the online is something I scan everyday. Really enjoy Travel Talks and some of the odd Shorts that show up. Also, being able to  chose a genre from the previous Schedule colored categories was very handy.

Look forward to hopefully seeing further improvements, SOON!

Thanks for a great channel and all the work done at TCM!

Dan

• Like 1
Just now, TopBilled said:

We should keep in mind that the Encore/Starz channels have been using this "strategy" for years. All the way back to 2012, Encore Westerns was doing its own monthly spotlights on actors strongly associated with the western genre. 

And of course TCM borrowed the Star of the Month idea from the old AMC which originated the concept in the mid-1980s.

They all borrow from each other.

True;   Note that just this week my cable (Cox) added a  "new" station:  LIGHTtv.   I did see that they were showing some American studio-era films and then some 60s T.V. shows.

I just Googled  them:

Light TV (styled LIGHTtv) is an American digital broadcast television network owned by MGM Television that launched on December 22, 2016. The network features family-friendly and faith-based entertainment programming.

Well now I know why LIGHTtv was showing 40s and 50s MGM films!

• Like 1

I program applications for home theaters, among other fun things, and could go through a list of improvements, but I'm sure they're getting an earful already. Some suggestions:

Saw the great post about entering titles in the Search window, tried it, and it has an annoying setting, Auto Search. It needs to be set to respond to the ENTER  key or have an ENTER button next the the Search window. Auto Fill is okay, but not Auto Search. It just slows things down for the user by trying to execute an ENTER command each time any letter is input. One my favorite shorts, TravelTalks, does not bring any results, no matter the spelling, capitalization or spacing. Could be for a number of reasons. I'll leave that to the programmer to sort out.

In the Schedules, at least have a View Option to turn off the meta data pictures, and the associated frame, for faster loading of pages. Be sure to make that a global preference, too, so switching between Daily and Weekly it would remain that way while logged in. It would be great if there were a preferences page for the user as well, but that might entail too much memory usage for the server.

Did try using the Print option to see more Schedule detail, just showed the same data. 

Weekly Schedule was a nice option, like to see it return. Right now it has a redirect to Daily.

As some have noticed, resizing your browser zoom level brings more of the page in to view. This is a simple setting to fix, hopefully that can be implemented soon.

Last, a pet peeve on Home page layout. Having dark gray lettering on the second row of links (EMAIL SIGNUP to WINE CLUB) over a black background is not helpful. For us old ****, squinting to see something really gets old, to coin a pun! Just make it the same white color as the row above. Having it change color, to green on mouse over, is a nice touch, however it would be more noticeable if it was a brighter shade like the underline of the SCHEDULE button. I would add the Bold setting to the second row as well. The smaller size is fine as there's a lot to squeeze in.

One thing I DO like is using black for the background. Most don't realize it, but mobile devices use less battery power that way, as opposed to an all white or brighter color background. 

Yeah, rambling on, sorry.....

Looking forward to the new and viewer approved redesign of the redesign !

Thanks again for a great site and channel.

Dan

• Like 1

preferred the old format, but can accept this if they allow the schedule to be seen further in advance (at least 6-8 weeks) and they bring back genre color coding

I doubt we'll get either though

• Like 1

Look magazine is no longer published. Vogue-like maybe?  But, very disappointing new format… didn't think I would think/write this but please bring back the previous version…much more functional and informative.

So I have built a personal spreadsheet to track films I have watched or wish to watch...  And every couple of months I can go through this file clicking on the movie TCM link to see if it is scheduled to air.  Good news - the links still works.  Bad news - this new format does not show when or if this show is scheduled.  I looked at films scheduled in October to see if the new format shows air times for films.  And nope!  We used to be able to get reminders and everything...  Can we have all that stuff back?

P.S. Sorry if I am mentioning items that are already in this thread.  Got long quick.

I voted.

PS  It's horrible! You guys had the best TV guide of all channels. I'll especially miss Leonard's movie reviews and knowing when the shorts and Travel Talks are coming up.

The site is also painfully slow.

Please switch back!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

They seem also to have deleted altogether the "database," which they hadn't updated in years, request a movie, and any way to contribute. Or maybe I just can't find these.....

I can't find those either. If anyone else can figure out how, please do let us know. The "database" especially.

I must say too that I HATE this new look. I suppose I'll have to get used to it, though. But I really don't need such large printing and all those pictures.

But I hope they will find a way to return the listings of shorts to the schedule, bring back the option to see the future schedules, and return the link to the Database.

• Like 2

Another thing that seems to be lost in the shuffle is any mention of TCM Underground.  There used to be a monthly article that would list and discuss the upcoming Underground films for the month.

With links for each film to the database that isn't there any more...

(The search box on the schedule page can find entries for films that are currently scheduled, but it doesn't seem to return anything for unscheduled films.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

TCM STAFF - PUT THE FUTURE SCHEDULES BACK

This is indeed troubling. One of my great pleasures around here is when a future month's schedule is released, and I can start planning ahead what I'm going to watch. Are we not going to know who the Star of the Month will be anymore until the first of every month? Yuck.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The new daily and monthly schedules require so much more time and effort to use than the old ones that it's simply not worth the effort to try to navigate them.  I'll continue to check out Noir Alley, along with the Silent Sunday nights and the foreign movies for the rare premieres, but otherwise forget it.  This is like watching the Post Office after Louis DeJoy has finished "improving" it.  I could list all the ways that the old format was infinitely better than the new one, but since nobody at TCM pays attention to what people say on the forums, what's the point?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
22 hours ago, skipd55 said:

For example, the December 2020 schedule, once posted in its entirety, has vanished--but the films scheduled for December can be accessed individually (if you know what they are) and appear on the website with date and time listings for December. So the information is there.

So you're saying that as long as we know what is running in December, we can see what is running in December?  Sorry, I'm not psychic.

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Not on this side of their iron curtain.  Good luck with that "API",  I didn't even know there was such a thing - unless you are just talking about the same thing the rest of us are - the ability to view "future months" that is no longer there. 

No.  With the old web site they also had a pseudo web service interface, an API...   For example....

http://www.tcm.com/tcmws/v1/tcmnowSchedule/us/est/2020-10-1.xml

I don't have any samples of what that would return, but I've cobbled something together that scrapes their new monthly schedule and creates the bits of the XML that I use.  In other words, that URL used to return a superset of the XML found here....

http://curtisdehaven.com/misc/tcm/2020-10-1.xml

It's a shame it's gone.  It worked really well.

20 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

My personal IMDB scraping program that I put together

I also do some scraping on IMDb, but it's a pain IMHO...  Last I looked IMDb has an api, but it requires a subscription.  I don't know if you've ever checked it out, but as a (free) alternative I use TMDb.   A lot (not all) of its information is identical to IMDb.  One thing I find handy with TMDb's API is movie poster images.  Their API is fairly well documented.  You can find it here....

https://developers.themoviedb.org/3/getting-started/introduction

Why the new schedule is bad:
1) its slow - all the improvements and especially the images really help slow it down
2) the start times are not correct - I've tried to set the time zone and it is still wrong
3) the time zone setting does not stay set and having a slow site makes this more frustrating
4) the images add almost no value and slow down the site
5) you can no longer look a week in advance with one click - you have to click each day and the site is slow and adds to the frustration; I usually look a week ahead to plan my recordings
6) the monthly schedule is only the current month so you have to look thru a whole month of listing to get to the end of the month- more frustration with a slow site
7) on the 30th I could not look at the next month's schedule
8( I've read about the improvements for phones - all I imagine of this design is sucking up bandwidth like downloading the images without value
9)  no more label for the primetime movie theme
10) no quick expansion to see a possible rating and review - in fact no more rating and Leonard Maltin review

The old schedule was imperfect:
1)  the cast list did not always show the top billed actors - but only a small percentage of the time
2) the ratings did not always show even when the information was for a TCM perennial showing

So the value of the information has decreased.  the developers got overpaid to deliver slow and clunky. I question if whoever worked on this really used the old schedule or watched TCM.

Please readdress the value of these changes!

• Like 4
On 9/29/2020 at 4:15 PM, Athos said:

Right, but it does list showings beyond October 29th, the farthest we can look ahead in the Daily Schedules tab. So the content for November and December is still there on the new website, just not viewable to us. 

Maybe the advance scheduling will reappear at some point just as the Search window did??

3 hours ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

No.  With the old web site they also had a pseudo web service interface, an API...   For example....

http://www.tcm.com/tcmws/v1/tcmnowSchedule/us/est/2020-10-1.xml

I don't have any samples of what that would return, but I've cobbled something together that scrapes their new monthly schedule and creates the bits of the XML that I use.  In other words, that URL used to return a superset of the XML found here....

http://curtisdehaven.com/misc/tcm/2020-10-1.xml

It's a shame it's gone.  It worked really well.

Huh...  Nobody bothered to tell me of the TCM XML API.  Where did you first learn of it?  PM me on this if you wish.

Looks like the old XMLTV format, which Schedules Direct still provides, even though they also provide a JSON service for newer stuff (as does the newer TCM schedule webpage).  I still use XMLTV for my older version of NextPVR, which I carved up a bit to make it do more of what I want.  In figuring out how JSON works for this site, I may actually be able to upgrade to the newest version of NextPVR for myself, and make use of that.

As for IMDB, I use the data from their old "interfaces" data source for my online project here:
https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports.htm
The IMDB Interfaces I use isn't a live API, but rather just a data dump that is periodically updated.  The version I have has everything they ever indexed up to the end of 2017, but that is good enough to list entries from TCM (I would hope).  Then they shut that down and opened up a help forum on a third party help website, where every once in a while Col Needham pops his head up.  (How nice.)  That communication led to them reinstating the "interfaces" data source with their newer back end system, except it was formatted differently, but more importantly, it was missing certain associations which I use for my project - such as lists of movies per production company.  The last I checked, those remain unavailable in the Interface files.  Their API is a different thing, which allows for online services to retrieve one movie at a time, using IMDB as a third party provider, but not download the entire thing (such as with the Interfaces).  Since I wouldn't be using it that way, I haven't looked into it any further.

The scraping part wouldn't have made much sense for my TCM project, but I did put together a separate project that is able to scrape one movie at a time.  I use this  for my own record keeping of what movies I am interested in or have.

Thanks for posting.