Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks


Recommended Posts

Fortunately we have rough data out through December, so that buys some time for TCM to improve the site to restore some of what we are looking for.  I would assume that the members of this message group are some of the heaviest users of the schedule, as we are the serious TCM fans, so I hope they will listen to our opinions and try to improve things.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ECL said:

So you're saying that as long as we know what is running in December, we can see what is running in December?  Sorry, I'm not psychic.

No, you don't need to be psychic. You just need to be one of the lucky ones to have seen the December schedule before it was pulled. It was up for less than a week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, skipd55 said:

No, you don't need to be psychic. You just need to be one of the lucky ones to have seen the December schedule before it was pulled. It was up for less than a week.

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/broadcast_2020_12_pulled_2020_09_28.html

One of our posters, moviecollectoroh, did everyone a huge favor and saved the december schedule prior to its disappearance.  Ignore the "September" and the Dorothy Dandridge header.  This is the December schedule w/ SOTM Laurel & Hardy. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/broadcast_2020_12_pulled_2020_09_28.html

One of our posters, moviecollectoroh, did everyone a huge favor and saved the december schedule prior to its disappearance.  Ignore the "September" and the Dorothy Dandridge header.  This is the December schedule w/ SOTM Laurel & Hardy. 

Thank you for sharing that on this thread. Hope readers find it helpful!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/broadcast_2020_12_pulled_2020_09_28.html

One of our posters, moviecollectoroh, did everyone a huge favor and saved the december schedule prior to its disappearance.  Ignore the "September" and the Dorothy Dandridge header.  This is the December schedule w/ SOTM Laurel & Hardy. 

Three cheers for MovieCollectorOH! Now if we could only figure out what to do about January!

Link to post
Share on other sites

My company recently unveiled a new invoice input program.  None of the administrative staff outside of the accounting department saw it beforehand -- it was just sprung on them.  Everyone hates it -- too much wasted white space, too many clicks to get between certain fields and register something as saved.  One of the key reasons our old system was changed was that Flash support was ending.

I have little to no tech expertise, but for at least the last year every time I logged into TCM -- and I usually access it on my desktop/laptop than on my phone -- the big screen with the promotional graphics for the current month was blank with a little button asking if I wanted to run Adobe Flash.  When I clicked there to run Flash, the graphics came up.  So I'm wondering whether the timing of TCM's change is also possibly tied in to the end of Flash support.

That said, yeah, I hate this.  It resembles the same daily schedule look on E!, VH1, Logo and many others.  Each show/movie/program is gigantic on the screen at 100% size, so to see one day on one screen you have to drastically zoom out.  One thing I do every month on the 1st is print the month's schedule, double sided with four pages on a side.  I did that today and it took six sheets compared with last month's five (and even considering one fewer day last month, it was a considerable difference -- and last month's printout included, as people have noted here, most of the shorts on the schedule, whereas this month's does not).

I also remember the website redesign from more than a decade ago, and not every feature was immediately available when first launched.  So I'm going to wait another few weeks before I get as disappointed as I want to be tonight.  But still.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

No.  With the old web site they also had a pseudo web service interface, an API...   For example....

http://www.tcm.com/tcmws/v1/tcmnowSchedule/us/est/2020-10-1.xml

I don't have any samples of what that would return, but I've cobbled something together that scrapes their new monthly schedule and creates the bits of the XML that I use.  In other words, that URL used to return a superset of the XML found here....

http://curtisdehaven.com/misc/tcm/2020-10-1.xml

It's a shame it's gone.  It worked really well.

I too am disappointed with the redesign and the inability to view future schedules. This is a vital part of the website.

I am a database developer and I also do some web development. I poked around the new site for about 30 minutes and was able to find this website for their new API.

https://api.tcm.com/tcmws/v1/schedule/month/us/est/2020-11-01.json

https://api.tcm.com/tcmws/v1/schedule/month/us/est/2020-12-01.json

I have verified titles against the Search function and what I can remember of the November and December schedules. 

It's converted the JSON output to HTML and got a nice table a sample of which is below. 

 

TSYwY8t.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, umop apisdn said:

I too am disappointed with the redesign and the inability to view future schedules. This is a vital part of the website.

I am a database developer and I also do some web development. I poked around the new site for about 30 minutes and was able to find this website for their new API.

https://api.tcm.com/tcmws/v1/schedule/month/us/est/2020-11-01.json

https://api.tcm.com/tcmws/v1/schedule/month/us/est/2020-12-01.json

I have verified titles against the Search function and what I can remember of the November and December schedules. 

It's converted the JSON output to HTML and got a nice table a sample of which is below. 

 

TSYwY8t.png

 

Hmm those come in at 327KB and 359KB.  That looks a bit cleaner than the stuff I had found.  Nearly 6MB of repeats, mostly in Dec.  This is what is linked to the Daily page (the one linked to the Monthly only contains the present month). Could it be changing for the better?  😁
https://tcmws.tcm.com/tcmws/NewSchedule

Thanks for the post.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, umop apisdn said:

I poked around the new site for about 30 minutes and was able to find this website for their new API.

Wow!  Good find - thank you!  It appears each individual "program" record is pretty much the same.  Each query returns 30 days worth where the old API returned a single day.  I can live with that, though.  Thanks again!

If anyone else is interested, here's a sample XML version of the JSON it returns - it's a bit easier to read....

http://curtisdehaven.com/misc/tcm/TcmJson.xml

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 10:09 AM, TopBilled said:

When I go to the TCM database page for a specific title, the Matlin reviews are no longer there. And neither are all the user reviews.

Will those return? Or are they gone forever?

NOTES used to be first, but now it's at the bottom:

 

There were lots of people who invested lots of effort into those user reviews. Just until they changed the format they listed them by "top contributor". And they just delete their work like it is nothing. Maltin has a copy of what he wrote. I'm not sure all of those individual TCM fans who wrote multi paragraph comments/reviews do. And they weren't even warned. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

There were lots of people who invested lots of effort into those user reviews. Just until they changed the format they listed them by "top contributor". And they just delete their work like it is nothing. Maltin has a copy of what he wrote. I'm not sure all of those individual TCM fans who wrote multi paragraph comments/reviews do. And they weren't even warned. 

There was a period (maybe 2010 to 2012) where I posted a bunch of reviews on the TCM database pages. But I would also copy and paste my comments, sometimes with slight additions, to the IMDb. But yes, not everybody did that or made "back ups."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TopBilled said:

There was a period (maybe 2010 to 2012) where I posted a bunch of reviews on the TCM database pages. But I would also copy and paste my comments, sometimes with slight additions, to the IMDb. But yes, not everybody did that or made "back ups."

OT a bit, but for years I used a database site called dvdaf.com and then filmaf.com to catalog all of my DVDs and Blus. And then this summer they just turn off the server. They didn't blast an email to everybody. They just posted a message on their Facebook page, which nobody hardly ever visited. Which is now full of angry comments about "Could it be THAT hard to blast a warning email so we could export our collections?".   Now the web address is up for sale. The last export I did was May of 2018, so outside of that and the fact that everything that I ever bought on Amazon is recorded by that site, I have no idea what I own, especially the burned copies I made for myself.  What Warner Archives do I own at this point? I have no idea Past Deep Discount purchases? Beats me. Barnes and Noble? Nope. Same for independent bookstore purchases.  Thanks for letting me rant TB.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I miss the old website so much that I joined this forum just to commiserate and keep informed of any changes (of which I hope there will be many) to this new  dumb-downed, bare-bones atrocity.  To me it almost feels like an old friend suddenly passed away.  A few years ago I was ecstatic when they started listing the "filler"(such as cartoons and short subjects) which helped make TCM the unique treasure trove that it was (and still is).  But now there is no way to know when these rare gems  will be shown. I would be willing to pay to have the old site back!

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a point when some of us on here (myself included) would be borderline panicky when the future month schedule lag time started shrinking. "Wait, it's eight weeks until December, and the schedule hasn't been posted yet!" Now, it appears the "new normal" is going to be "It's April 30, and the May schedule hasn't been posted yet!"

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The new listing is ugly and awkward, but the greatest crime is that interstitial shorts are not listed. At all. It’s bad enough that they aren’t listed in TV Guide or on cable/satellite guide channels, but now they are not listed anywhere at all. As my old friend Biffle von Giffelstein used to say, THAT’S STOOPID!

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

There was a point when some of us on here (myself included) would be borderline panicky when the future month schedule lag time started shrinking. "Wait, it's eight weeks until December, and the schedule hasn't been posted yet!" Now, it appears the "new normal" is going to be "It's April 30, and the May schedule hasn't been posted yet!"

I've found the feed that gets advanced schedules. All hope is not lost. :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one who thinks the new TCM home page is ****-ugly? Have you noticed that every third-rate graphic designer seems to think that white print on a black background is the coolest thing ever?

Among the delights of the new daily schedule is that if you change the time zone, then click on a movie to get more information, when you return, the time zone will once again be Eastern time. The daily schedule loads so slowly that I always get an error message from my computer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole design change and execution was done by those in a corporate chain of command higher than those who work for TCM. As several people have said, it would have been smart to try the changes out on a test group of heavy TCM users.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2020 at 12:45 AM, umop apisdn said:

I too am disappointed with the redesign and the inability to view future schedules. This is a vital part of the website.

Thanks, again, for those links, umop.

If anyone is interested, I've cobbled together a little Windows application that will pull a calendar from TCM's json-based interface and convert it to either HTML (web browser) or CSV (Excel).  Screen shot included below.  I've put it up on SourceForge and it's available here...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tcm-calendar/

Users:  Click on the Download button.  It will then download an executable (exe) file to your computer.  These kinds of files (exe) are the ones that we're warned to stay away from.  I did not put a virus in this file, but if you have antivirus software, please let it take a sniff of this file before running it.  This file is provided as is and at one's own risk.

Developers:  The source is also up there zipped up in a folder named. Source.   You'll need Microsoft's Visual Studio 2015 or better.  You'll also need a json.net dll that can be downloaded from NewtonSoft.

Hope this helps....

ScreenShot.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...