Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More changes-- they've changed the way the schedule info looks

Voted.

It takes way too long to load and is not as informative. I really miss the concise format with the ability to quickly see more information. I don't need fancy pictures.  Just give me quick, easy to read, useable information.

• Like 5

Caveat:  The only schedule I've ever used on TCM is the daily schedule--the one that used to be color coded by genre.

What "shorts" are people complaining about not being on the schedule any more?  On today's (Saturday) daily schedule, at 10:00 a.m. Eastern they have a group of three:  a 6-minute cartoon, an 8-minute one about how the FDA looks at fraudulent drug claims, and an 8-minute one on night life in Chicago.  Those are the only types I've ever seen on the daily schedule, so maybe y'all used to get different (shorter?) ones on another schedule? 

But so far, the content on the daily schedule seems to be the same.  It's the format that's killing me. 

• Like 1

I do not like the new monthly schedule.  One thing - we are on Central time.  I change it but the times do NOT change.  When the movie starts on Central time at 5 am, it still shows 6 am on the schedule.    On the old one, when I changed it to Central time, it stayed on Central time too.  The previous schedule was just fine.   I really prefer they just charge us for a yearly guide that they mail.  I liked those better than having to go to the computer to look up movies each time.  The other sat by my chair.  But I did learn to like the previous one.  I don't care about pictures.  Just give us a decent schedule that works!   Also the shorts are not on the schedule.  Bring the old schedule back!

• Like 2

I hate this new format.  I like to look ahead into the next and subsequent months and set pre-schedule reminders & now I cannot find anything.  Also I hate to scroll the entire day just to see if there is a film I want to watch (does it really need to be in 24 font with pictures for me to see if I want to watch?).  Why would you change it if the previous way was working so well?  Ever since Robert Osborne's passing it seems TCM isn't the same.   The hosts are OK, however, now I only look forward to Noir Alley on Saturday evenings with Eddie Muller.  There is way too much bizarre films airing in prime time and the true classics seem to air after 12AM.  I'm thinking about discontinuing my cable service and the main reason is TCM.  After this I will go with hulu etc.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

"Old" threads that haven't had any activity in awhile now have this message on them:

I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand, I'm opposed to oppression of expression. On the other hand, I would usually be like "What the heck?" when I realized someone had added a comment to a thread no one had posted in 12 years.

• Haha 1
On 10/4/2020 at 12:25 AM, cmovieviewer said:

I noticed another message thread on the "Little Rascals Preservation & Restoration Project."

Maybe we should start a crowdfunding campaign for the "TCM Classic Schedule Preservation & Restoration Project."

😉

Gee, how much might something like that cost.  Could it be expensive?

Updated link:   https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched.htm

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

• Like 2
13 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Something new I've just noticed--

"Old" threads that haven't had any activity in awhile now have this message on them:

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 2.48.32 PM

I've only been here about a week and then only on this thread.  I'm enjoying it - yet something else to do every morning while I'm getting my eyes open...   One thing I noticed, though...   I had originally posted a question (re TCM's programming API), saw that it was there, and then somehow it just vanished.   Now, also somehow, I landed in this thread.  I'm glad I did, it is appropriate,  and again, it's fun.  I guess it would have been nice to know what/how it happened...  No notification.   But then, sometimes that whoosh effect is part of the fun....  lol

17 hours ago, SVF said:

Caveat:  The only schedule I've ever used on TCM is the daily schedule--the one that used to be color coded by genre.

What "shorts" are people complaining about not being on the schedule any more?  On today's (Saturday) daily schedule, at 10:00 a.m. Eastern they have a group of three:  a 6-minute cartoon, an 8-minute one about how the FDA looks at fraudulent drug claims, and an 8-minute one on night life in Chicago.  Those are the only types I've ever seen on the daily schedule, so maybe y'all used to get different (shorter?) ones on another schedule? 

But so far, the content on the daily schedule seems to be the same.  It's the format that's killing me. 

The shorts I was referring to are the "fillers" between movies.  On Saturday mornings, the short subjects are featured--they're not "filler."  Another thing I really miss are the trailers that were so easily accessible on the old site--they were often helpful to me in determining which movies not to miss!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Curtis DeHaven said:

I've only been here about a week and then only on this thread.  I'm enjoying it - yet something else to do every morning while I'm getting my eyes open...   One thing I noticed, though...   I had originally posted a question (re TCM's programming API), saw that it was there, and then somehow it just vanished.   Now, also somehow, I landed in this thread.  I'm glad I did, it is appropriate,  and again, it's fun.  I guess it would have been nice to know what/how it happened...  No notification.   But then, sometimes that whoosh effect is part of the fun....  lol

They merged the API question thread into this thread.  When that happens, you'll see this in the list of threads:

Capture

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Jay Gerard said:

Another thing I really miss are the trailers that were so easily accessible on the old site--they were often helpful to me in determining which movies not to miss!

I did like the trailers or scenes from the previous incarnation of the website, and while I wasn't a frequent user of them, a handful of times a year I would watch a two  or three minute clip of some upcoming title I knew nothing about to see if it was something I should make time for, based on my own quirky preferences. I see some of these new giant pictures have a Play button on them, but I'm guessing it's not the same thing? I haven't actually clicked on one.

22 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand, I'm opposed to oppression of expression. On the other hand, I would usually be like "What the heck?" when I realized someone had added a comment to a thread no one had posted in 12 years.

Personally I don't think a thread should close due to inactivity. Someone new may come along five years from now and offer some valuable insights on an old topic.

What this means is they will have to create a new thread on the same topic.

We have classic movies. Why can't we have classic message board threads? :) 

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

How old are we talking about here??

I noticed that last week. I used to go looking for weird threads and bump them. At least we can still see what people were talking about as far back as 2001.  Is there a way to export entire threads on the message board? Even if there is not I may be able to find a way to do that with some Java code and export some of the longer ones. The problem is that, from examining the page source,  messages have a pretty loose format. You can include multiple replies, images, video links, etc. If I look into this it will be next weekend before I have time. 

4 hours ago, Jay Gerard said:

The shorts I was referring to are the "fillers" between movies.  On Saturday mornings, the short subjects are featured--they're not "filler." 

Do you mean like the ones where people are talking about a particular movie star, with a few clips?  Like just 3 or 4 minutes long?

Or the Host on Host segments?

47 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I noticed that last week. I used to go looking for weird threads and bump them. At least we can still see what people were talking about as far back as 2001.  Is there a way to export entire threads on the message board? Even if there is not I may be able to find a way to do that with some Java code and export some of the longer ones. The problem is that, from examining the page source,  messages have a pretty loose format. You can include multiple replies, images, video links, etc. If I look into this it will be next weekend before I have time. 

Every two or three years there is a forum update and some of the older posts have formatting that does not "jive" with the newer format. So you may see a lot of extra spaces, or blank lines in between paragraphs. But at least the information is still there and readable.

The customer reps respond very quickly via email when you contact them with a question or comment.  BUT if they say they're passing it on to the web site people, it falls into a black hole and nothing happens.

30 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Every two or three years there is a forum update and some of the older posts have formatting that does not "jive" with the newer format. So you may see a lot of extra spaces, or blank lines in between paragraphs. But at least the information is still there and readable.

Well, I just looked at a thread from 2003 and compared it to one from 2020 and the format is the same. I can separate out quotes from original comments.  Thus if I just limit myself to the original comments, which are delimited by the ancient <p> tag, then I could export a thread and its original content and the author of that comment. Like I said I'll get on it next weekend. TCM message threads are pretty straightforward versus imdb review threads. The page source for imdb only reveals  25 reviews and all other reviews shown by hitting the "load more" button are "phantom reviews", produced by Javascript. It is pretty hard to mine.  The secret for TCM threads is looking for the tag <div data-role='commentContent'

Well, enough geek talk for now. 

• Like 1

What am I missing?  The old format of the daily schedule was color-keyed to the type of movie being shown, it had Leonard Maltin's reviews on many of the movies as well as peer reviews.  The new format has...none of this.  The icing on the cake is the new version of the daily schedule doesn't work with Firefox, at least on my computer where the previous version of the schedule worked perfectly.  Way to go TCM!  What's next, colorizing all the B&W movies?

• Sad 1